1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Winters, CA: Prius capital of the U.S. (?)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Jack 06, Nov 20, 2005.

1. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

Winters, CA: Prius capital of US. 30 miles W of S
    Until shown otherwise, I'm declaring Winters the Prius Capital of the United States of America.

My town, pop. 6,125, has one stoplight (completed last month), no chain grocery store or drugstore, a Subway (but no McWhatever), three gas stations, two bars and one dentist.

And six Priuses.

That's one per thousand of pop.

Our leading industry is Mariani Nut, which packs and ships nuts grown in many surrounding orchards, especially almonds. The nuts in your Almond Joy came from Winters. Also, all the nuts in your Snickers and all other Mars candy bars.

But Winters is so dull, even Theodore Winters, who founded the town in 1875, moved to Nevada, where he ran for governor and lost, but settled.

The highlight of our social calendar is the August Earthquake Festival, commemorating the day in 1906 when the San Francisco earthquake shook a few bricks loose from a building, conking someone on the head and killing him.

But we have six Priuses.

My '01 was the first. My '02 was the second. But they caught on like wildfire, and I know where all six are.

Winters is so boring it's known as "the Gateway to Lake Berryessa", a reservoir 10 miles away. Truth be told, the Chamber doesn't want Winters to be known for anything. Most of us are no-growthers. Winters doesn't have a website.

But we have six Priuses.

Any challengers?

2. 3c3

3c3 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    So what you're saying is that Winters residents are nuts. :p

3. Wayne

Wayne Active Member

I hope you get to drive to Sacramento or someplace so all your trips aren't 1 mile or less! :lol:

Hey, now that we know where you are, how 'bout putting it in your profile? Sacramento could work there too if you want something larger. :)

BTW, Winters DOES have a web site: http://www.cityofwinters.org/

Be sure not to miss the Free Thanksgiving Dinner at 6:30pm tonight at the Community Center! Maybe we could have a meet! :D

4. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

Thanks, Wayne. Those little scamps down at City Hall DID put up a website. I'm so embarrassed. I used to work for the City. Only the Chamber had a website when I was there ('02).

We got a new City Manager, whose only previous experience was in SoCal. He probably wants to turn the place into Irvine. That's why we got the damned stoplight. We do not NEED a stoplight, especially one with a left-hand turn arrow! The four old stop signs worked fine. No fatalities at that intersection. The south-facing sign was a little faded, but they could have replaced it, or swapped it with the north-facing sign.

Cripes, they're even printing the annual results of our water testing ( 5 wells) and MAILING it to us. No need. We could pick 'em up and save the postage. We only had one "bacteriological contamination" reading last year. But why print it NOW, when it's too late? It was THEN that some folks got sick from it. And it says we've got hard water. Hell, we KNEW that, too. All you have to do is taste the stuff, and look at the end of your tap. No need to put it in a fancy tri-fold, with a damned COLOR picture on it.

B)

5. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    at one Prius per thousand population, i be willing to be the Lacey-Olympia-
    Tumwater area FAR exceeds your density

6. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

No guessing or "betting" here. Find 'em, Dave, and I'll come up there and count 'em with you. But if that takes more'n a couple days, you'll have to let me sleep on your floor. Or in your garage.

If you or anyone wants to come and count ours, you can sleep on an extra old couch we have, by the fireplace.

7. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    based on the 2003 or 2004 count (latest i could find) that is 89,444 so only need 90 to tie. if not counting state vehicles (675 purchased by state, estimated 85% are in Thurston County) i can virtually garantee more than 90 in Lacey alone not to mention over a dozen on this site

8. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

State and local government Priuses disallowed. Winters has one plug-in electric, plus a '95 Chevy that used to be a police car for the CM to drive.

9. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    ok Henry... tell him how it is. he works at St. Peters hosipital. there is probably 90 Priuses there

10. EricGo

EricGo New Member

I'll just sit on the sidelines and enjoy this contest ..

However, the other day at a red light one Prius was directly ahead of me, and another was alongside me in the next lane. My kids and I were elated.

11. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    In the Sacramento area, that would be considered a normal daily occurrence. Place you location in your profile and we too may be amazed at your Prius traffic jam incident.

12. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    when we went back to my college town, population about 50,000, we saw about 15 prii on the main north-south drag in about an hour. (my husband was fixing a friend's car that died in a parking lot and i was in charge of entertaining our friend's daughter) at that rate, you may have a contender there.

13. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I may have to agree. We have at least 10 G3s and 2 G2s in the Doc's lot counting nurses etc the total may not reach 90 but it is high. Add to that 4 at my lot (excluding the Doc's) at GHC and at least 2 in the Family Practice residency lot. 4 that I have seen going into the old Memorial Clinic. You can not go anywhere around here with out seeing a G3 Prius. The G2 slip under the radar. I know we have several electrics because I have seen them. Home conversions all. This is a green area, because we have the "Greeners" i.e. Graduates, faculty, and students at The Evergreen State College. They put the R in radicle and keep me honest. I wonder if the DOT could provide stats for us? It is not definitive but we are Prius rich.

14. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    So...do you have any hotels, motels or B&Bs?

Because I'm thinking.....Winters would be the perfect place for the Prius convention we've talked about forever.

Maybe you can arrange for us to stay in local homes. We can have a parade.

Just think...Prii from all over the Western United States converge on your sleepy little town to keep those six Prii company. And you still wouldn't need to drive more than a mile.

15. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    we definitely have a "greener" persuasion here. we also have at least 4 organic co-op groceries here. i recently needed a cable for a computer so went to the cheapest computer parts store in town which WAS The Other Guys. unfortunately they had moved and an organic food co-op took its place. great!! thats all we need is another one of those.

16. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

No hotel or motel. One B&B. A city park (called, oddly enough, City Park) where I could arrange camping for maybe 25 tents. I have two "up and out" kids, so I can put up about 8. Folks are friendly, so we could put about 30-40 more in local homes.

At the Earthquake Festival, we block off a block of Main St., hire a band to play until the wee hours, drink lots of beer and wine and dance in the street 'til we drop. Just before dark, everyone in town who comes gets included in a group picture, taken from a 12' ladder and printed on the front page of the town's weekly newspaper (on the masthead: Price 47 cents. Information tax 3 cents)

Small-town life can be sweet.

17. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

Sorry, parking lots don't count. Home addresses do. Maybe your DMV can give you data. Ours can.

18. Wayne

Wayne Active Member

I see you added your location to your profile. "Prius capital of US". Cool. B)

19. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

Wayne of Fort Wayne. Also cool. Do you by chance have a sign in your house (or garage) you've, er, liberated from some roadside?

20. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Jack 06 . . . you’re confusing me.

I thought that the Winters’ Earthquake Street Festival was to commemorate the 1892 magnitude 6.4 earthquake which was centered in Winters. Besides the unexpected (inland) location for such a strong earthquake, the other notable thing to the USGS about this earthquake was it occurred just two days after a 6.5 earthquake struck north of Vacaville . . . less than 8 miles apart!

And that “Gateway to Lake Berryessa" thing ???? I always thought of Winters as the “Backdoor to Napa.†:p

The mailing of the results of the annual water tests . . . state notification law.

But the really confusing thing . . . A LEFT TURN ARROW? At THAT intersection???? Now that is wishful - and wasteful - thinking!