1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Wiper Fluid Pump Problem - front only

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Rick Grahn, Nov 17, 2005.

1. Rick Grahn

Rick Grahn New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    It appears that my front wiper fluid pump has failed. The rear one is working fine. There is plenty of fluid in the container.

Has anyone else had this issue.

I have an '05.

Just curious.

2. ScottY

ScottY New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I have an 05 purchased in May. I have not notice any problem with the wiper fluid pump. Actually, I used it last night and it's working properly.

Bring it to a dealer and see what's going on. See if it's cover under warranty.

3. jeromep

jeromep Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This is the first I've heard of that. It's going to be under warranty unless you have driven outside of the 36,000 miles you are allowed under the factory warranty. And it sure is covered under the Extended Platinum warranty.

Just go in and get it fixed.

4. IFixEm

IFixEm New Member

odd, but man bites dog occasionally. if you pull back the inner fender cover and pop the pump out you will see a fine mesh screen on the pump inlet. sometimes there is an incompatibility with washer fluids and they will actually form a slimy gel that settles to the botom of the resevoir and can clog this inlet filter. Suspect this if you can stand outside and hear a "whir" sound when someone else hits the wash function. No sound, it's probable that the brushes in the pump failed.
    Regards, Mike

5. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

I think the same tank and pump work both washers, so it isn't that. Probably a plugged line.

6. IFixEm

IFixEm New Member

volume vs. presure. One set squirts up, one squirts down. I guess we need to know if the pump is pumping or just dribling at the rear.
    Regards, Mike

7. Rick Grahn

Rick Grahn New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    To respond to the most recent posts:

I could hear the pump working, just no flow from the front squirters.

The flow at the back squirter appeared quite normal.

ODD THING: I was out of town for 5 days or so and now the squirter is working fine. I believe that IFixEm is right, as I had added wiper fluid two or three days before it quite working.

Under which side will I find the pump?

RJG

8. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Just examined the wiring diagram, the front and back have separate washer motors.

9. Rick Grahn

Rick Grahn New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    thanks DanMan32

10. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a similar problem with the Camry. I would pull the stalk and nothing would happen. The wipers would wipe a dry windshield (and possibly smear what I wanted to clear), then the fluid would spray. I have had the techs check and they've replaced several things but nothing seemed to have solved the problem. I think they've replaced the pump.

11. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I had that happen to me on Thanksgiving Day. Since it was the first real snow of the season I hadn't needed the washer fluid until then. I could hear the pump so I knew that that wasn't the problem and this was confirmed by the washer fluid coming out fine on the rear. At that point, it was fairly obvious what the problem was. I went back in to the house and got out my bottle of rubbing alcohol and a Q-tip. I soaked the Q-tip in the alcohol and dabbed it on each of the jet ports. Almost immediately, the washer solvent was jetting out just fine on the windshield. As long as you can hear the pump working and know that there is washer solvent in the tank, the jets are probably iced up a little. No big deal. I'm thinking of adding a small bottle of rubbing alcohol to my winter emergency supplies in the car. Of course, Rick, since you don't identify your location, I don't know if ice could be your problem.