1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

wiper fluid sprayer problem

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by ecstasy426, Dec 7, 2004.

1. ecstasy426

ecstasy426 New Member

One of the wiper fluid sprayers stopped working tonight in the middle of a blizzard - and it was the driver's side. The passenger sprayer is still working fine.

Then, while using the REAR wiper sprayer, I noticed it only came out of one hole (usually there are two streams). Is there a quick fix for this, or is it a dealer issue? It was below freezing, but that shouldn't be happening regardless.

I've searched on here, but no discussion of wiper fluid sprayers. Any insights?

- ian (2004 salsa Prius, New York City)

2. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

it's possibe you might have had a frozen nozzle or the start of one. More probable is gunk in the fluid has blocked a nozzle. In that case take the hose off that underside of the nozzle and blow it out with compressed air. Now your going to tell me you don't have a compressor so the plan is to drop by a tire store and ask them for an old valve stem then drop by the gas station where you fill your tires and take the valve stem and put it on the nozzle and hook the tire filler to the valve stem and it'll blow it out, just be sure to unplug the hose. Works good for radiators when their plugged with bugs. Not too close though and from the back side.

3. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    some places ive lived i had to use special winter formula windshield wiper fluid since the summer formula can freeze. dont know what it freezes at but im pretty sure its lower than water. i dont change the fluid here since it rarely gets very cold around here. in fact, it doesnt even get below freezing that much.

could be that the fluid is just freezing up. wait till it warms up and see if it clears up

4. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    When it gets really cold I just add about 1/4 rubbing alchol to the tank before i fill it up with WW fluid, it's cheaper than the ultra low freezing WW. fluid.

5. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Definately make sure you are using antifreeze WW fluid, not just water. You can get still ice over the nozzles. Sometimes all it takes is a little scrubbing.

6. Graz

Graz Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have a similar problem with the driver side window washers. It can't be related to temperature because I live in San Diego Ca, and on a rare occasion some may get frost. I keep my baby int he garage and she never has seen any. Is there some way to re-aim the washers??? It looks as though they could be aimed better.

7. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Graz @ Feb 7 2007, 06:29 PM) [snapback]386768[/snapback]</div>
    Take a fat pin, gently stick it in the nozzle you want to aim, and adjust the position. Spray the washer and see if it hits the spot you want. Repeat until you get sick of it. An assistant to turn on the spray is a real help, unless you like getting in and out of your car a lot. Small differences in direction at the nozzle can make big differences when the spray hits the window.

8. Rick Grahn

Rick Grahn New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ecstasy426 @ Dec 7 2004, 12:43 AM) [snapback]55482[/snapback]</div>
    In my '05, as the fluid reservoir gets low, the first place it do longer sprays is the driver's side (go figure!). I fill up the reservoir and it works fine again. After getting low enough for the driver's side not to work, it takes about 1 cup shy of a full gallon of fluid to fill it up. I use it as an indicator to fill up the reservior.

Either that or my car has a prostate problem.

9. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    happened to us on a nasty drive too. we got the antifreeze washer fluid and it cleared up.

10. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bill Merchant @ Feb 7 2007, 10:26 PM) [snapback]386846[/snapback]</div>
    err.. I'd do it Tony's way

Graz, do a search and see if you can find Tony's thread on adjusting the nozzles. Assuming it isn't lost from the last crash, you should be able to find it.