1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Wiper inserts - I feel dumb

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by rhondamax, Nov 4, 2008.

1. rhondamax

rhondamax New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    This is my third Toyota. I sure thought I knew how to put in new rubber inserts, but I can't figure out on the Prius how to remove the old inserts. Can someone give me very easy-to-understand instructions? Pictures? I can't find it in the manual.

Thanks.

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm pretty sure you have to replace the entire blade these days.

3. bbald123

bbald123 Thermodynamics Law Enforcement

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    No, the inserts are replaceable. But, they take quite a tug to get the old ones out. I felt foolish the first time myself.

I have since gone to Bosch Evolution wipers and like them much better at highway speeds.

4. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    The instruction come with the replacement inserts. There is a bulge in the rubber and a metal retaining clip to hold the inserts in the end fingers of the wiper support structure.

JeffD

5. firepa63

firepa63 Former Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  6. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    This is the note I left for myself last time -- hope it helps you :)

--
    Bosche
    OEM

Note trick to remove and replace rubber: four latches lie in a groove on the rubber strip. To remove, pull up on the rubber strip from the middle to free the last latch. Replace in reverse by threading the latch 3,2,1 and 4 last. Much easier to remove the assembly from the car rather than trying to fit the replacement in-situ.

|-----2--------3--------4

Back window rubber Toyota OEM: 85214-47010
    replaced 8/2008 $3.47

7. Gadgetdad

Gadgetdad New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I just replaced my inserts. There is a little trick I figured out to ease the "tug" (almost a "yank") needed to get the old blade out. Find the rubber locking side of the blade. Look closely with a magnifying glass and twist the rubber notch out from the grip of the claw that holds it. Do this on either side of the rubber notch, and the old blade easily slides out from the retaining claws. :)

Lee

8. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Actually, the old inserts can be a royal PITA to remove. Sometimes they stick really good. Putting the new ones on you have to get the metal strips in *just* right or be prepared to scream the f-bomb at it

Once you change them a couple of times, you understand how to properly do it. This is one area that you really can learn only by experience

9. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I use long-nose pliers to pull the insert end out of the blade claws. Pay attention to the way that the metal strips are positioned (with the notches facing inwards) so that they can be reinstalled the same way.

Although the front blades are reasonably easy to remove from the arms, the rear blade is not easy to remove. Rather than run the risk of breaking the blade, I will insert the rear refill with the blade installed on the arm.

Has anyone noticed that the Toyota inserts have date codes molded into the rubber? The code looks like a timeline, instead of a three or four digit code.