1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

wipers were going slow and red triangle came up

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by gone2green, Aug 26, 2012.

1. gone2green

gone2green grumpier than the grumpiest old man you know ;)

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    The other day we had a little rain, drove the car parked it left the wipers in the on position. Went
    to start the car again for another jaunt, and pressed the start button and brake pedal, the wipers came on very slow and the red triangle on the mfd came on. So I turned off the car and tried to start again, every thing was fine. So I am thinking my 5 yr aux battery is failing . Would I be correct in thinking that?

I just ordered the yellow top optima from the elearn site that is listed on the forum.

Or should I be thinking it is the hybrid battery? I know my hybrid battery runs down real fasdt but then again it is AZ and is hot with the ac on all the time. so that may be normal.

2. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    This does sound like the 12
    This does sound like the 12v battery. The HV battery should be fine as this is not in use till the car is made ready.

3. gone2green

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks for the prompt reply and to help confirm my suspcion of the 12 volt batt.

4. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    12volt is the first place to start, so you're right in that regard... Maybe more stuff will come up after but odds are it won't!

5. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Before spending $200, test it using the built-in self test procedure or a voltmeter.

6. gone2green

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I did the self test a month ago, after I pulled it from the car the battery was at 9.85 on digital meter no load and double checked with my analog meter shows just under 10 volts dc set at the 20 vdc setting. So new battery time.

UPDATE

After receiving the new battery I thought I would put my smart charger on the old battery, it went to the desulfation mode right away. Does not get over 65% charge . The new battery is installed and mileage has improved back to 48 mpg and main battery does not drain as fast as it was doing before the replacement.

7. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I would check the battery volts again when the car has stood over night if not Reading at least 12.6 volts send it back.

There have been a number of reports of faulty Optima batteries on PC, Optima says that one of there batteries fully charged after standing for 8hrs should read (with a meter not the MFD and not under load) 13 to 13.2volts.

Read > Question re-12v battery, please? In gen2 main forum.

8. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hi Britprius. You might have misread that post. It's his old (dead) battery that's not taking a charge properly. In another thread he said his optima was 13.0 volts straight out of the box and is performing well.

9. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thanks Uart I never was any good at speed reading in fact I'm not good at anything.

10. HaroldW

HaroldW Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yes you are:) . You have a very good mechanical mind and that is good. H

11. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Very good on the yellowtop but throw that charger on the Yellowtop. Lots of us including myself have gotten a somewhat discharged Yellowtop out of the box. It really helps to charge it up first. In fact I would put it on the charger once a month anyway and give it a full charge. Thats what i do with all my cars and it really extends battery life.
    Plus you can track the battery health too.

HaroldW likes this.