1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Wire Seat Covers?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by randreed, Aug 4, 2006.

1. randreed

randreed Same as it ever was . . .

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Does anyone remember the old-timey wire seat covers? I used to use them in all my cars and trucks that did not have AC (starting with my '64 Dart GT and I had the last one in a beat-up pickup truck in the late '80s).

It's basically a back panel and a seat panel made of coiled wire and covered with thin material. The idea is to allow air-flow around the person to allow sweat to evaporate, creating a cooling effect.

Has anyone tried these (or is using these) in a Prius? If so, where did you get them?

When I asked at Pep Boys or Auto Zone the kids behind the counter just look at me like I have three heads.

2. marjam

marjam Member

I'm 53 and I don't remember these! I remember the smooth plastic ones that were clear so that you could see the seats. They burned the hell out of you. Then I remember my dad buying the plastic ones with "bubbles" which were not so hot. Don't remember wire ones, though.

3. etyler88

etyler88 etyler88

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rand Reed @ Aug 4 2006, 04:15 PM) [snapback]297856[/snapback]</div>

But your Prius has AC, so use it. It keeps the battery happy.

Anyway, try JC Whitney, they sell the things to put on your door to keep rain out with your windows down too.

4. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I think my Mom may have had something like this in the early 60's for a Ford stationwagon they had.

I've never seen them since. You can try the wooden beaded seat things. Or sheepskin. I've heard sheepskin allows air circulation although I have a hard time believeing it. My brother used to have sheepskins on his seats.

I agree you should just turn on the air conditioner. It's good for the battery.

5. c4

c4 Active Member

I'm nowhere near that old, but even I remember those seat things from when I was a kid in the mid/late 70s.. There were basically a heavy wire frame about 3/4" thick on the seat and the back that was covered by a very loose (perhaps 10-12 threads/inch- you could see through the thing) weave of vinyl-covered-threads, often multi-colored.. The Aeron office chair that was the big craze in office ergonomics a number of years ago had a seat and back that was a similar concept- just a loose weave of plastic covered threads stretched across the seat frame- provided good support as well as air flow..

6. randreed

randreed Same as it ever was . . .

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I found one - it's called the "Arctic Cool King Size Seat Cushion" (made by Alison) at a little local auto parts place - last one they had and they don't know where to order more.

Yes - I usually DO use the AC but I find the seats (fabric and foam combination) in the Prius cause me to sweat a lot and I remembered using these "cushions" in the past. It allows for some air flow so the AC (or heat) works better. If there was an Aeron seat made to replace the stock seats, I would buy that as my next mod.

Wire spring cushions are probably not for everyone, and it's certainly not the prettiest thing, but I really like them.

PS - I've used sheapskin while in Alaska and they are great in the winter, but too hot in the summer. I've also tried the wooden bead covers like many cab drivers use and I found them to be very uncomfortable and not very cooling.

7. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Thos seat covers had springs in them that would let the cover breath. it was like a folding seat you put on your bench seat