1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Wire tap for connecting a subwoofer amp

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Jeriame, Sep 12, 2010.

1. Jeriame

Jeriame New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    On the Prius III, there is a factory JBL system with 6 disc CD changer and 8 speakers: four woofers and four mid-high range.

I decided to tap the amplifier under the passenger seat for another amplifier (alpine mono-block 300W @ 4ohms, 500W@ 2 ohms RMS) to power my single Alpine Type R 10" @2 ohms.

There is a plastic cover that is held in place with two plastic retainers. Use a flat head screwdriver to pry up the center lock pegs and the retainers come out. There are three different sets of wiring harnesses. I believe, from left to right, the first (white) wire harness is for the mid to high frequency range (output). The next wire harness (blue) is the low frequency output. The third (white) wire harness has very small gauge wires, and I beleive it is the input.

I tapped four wires from the blue harness for speaker level input to the Sub Amp: Red (RR+), White (RR-), Black (LR+), and Yellow (LR-).

Do NOT tap the first wire harness for low frequency output.

I found that the light blue wire on the first harness serves well for a remote wire tap... I am not sure if that is it's function, but it turns the AMP on whenever the car is on any setting other than off.

I hope this helps anyone who wants to add more bass to an already superior system and doesn't want to pay the geek squad 75 dollars to hook it up :).

AzusaPrius likes this.
  2. Downrange

Downrange Active Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    SE
    If you are taking more than control and input from that wire block, then it's a bad idea, imo. The factory circuit going to that JBL is not designed to carry an additional 20 amps or more of current.

Strongly recommend you go back and direct wire that big Alpine amp directly to the battery. If you're getting main power elsewhere, then you'd be fine. Maybe just the way I read it.

3. Jeriame

Jeriame New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    LOL, yes.. that was the easy part as the battery terminal and a clean ground is right there in the back, where I installed the amp. I didn't tap the power, I am using an 8 gauge wire to the battery and a 12 gauge to the ground screw connected directly to chassis.

However, I have ran into a problem... my 10" driver keeps cutting out at high volume (say, anything over 34 on the JBL radio). I think the cause is related to the fact I tapped amplified wires... I should have tapped the input to the JBL amp, but I didn't have that information. I see another thread on here that may ahelp with that.
    thanks!

4. GeoGeek

GeoGeek Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Don't bother trying to pull signal from the input side of the JBL amp...it's digital. You may have to get a line output converter to get suitable input for your amp....
    Another tip: never use higher gage +12V power wire than what you're going to use for ground wire....you're amp will likely heat up prematurely.

5. Mohsin Afzal

Mohsin Afzal Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----UK----
    Hi all. I own a 2010 Prius in the uk. I have just removed the plastic cover underneath the driver side seat, or passenger side as you would have it in the US. I was expecting to find an amp there with 3 wiring harnesses however I only found a small box with 1 set of wiring. Can someone shed some light on this please if possible. Is this the amp or should I be looking elsewhere in the car. I have the t spirit which is top of the range I believe with the nav and hence I'm presuming this has the JBL system as its loud enough. Any help would be much appreciated. I have included a picture of the box that I found under the seat.

Attached Files:

6. Ed Beaty

Ed Beaty Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Not sure what that device is under your passenger seat, but I'm pretty sure you do not have a JBL system. Here is a previous post by a PC member who modified their JBL system to install a subwoofer (Basslink). Many pictures; one is of the JBL amp under the passenger seat.

7. Attila Fekete

Attila Fekete Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If you have genuine JBL system in the car, thrn you should have the JBL logo on the head unit - something like on the attached pic.

Attached Files:

Ed Beaty likes this.