1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

wireless TEMP. sensor electric coolant.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Flying White Dutchman, Aug 10, 2008.

1. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    today i connected a little sensor with a wireless transceiver to the coolant line that go;s into the lower part off the radiator that cools the inverter and MG1 and MG2.
    this way i can monitor the temp. with my grill armer

the temp. is not going past 33 Celsius right now ( 91.4 F )

2. Flying White Dutchman

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    here is s picture where i attached the sensor and transmitter
    i needed to make the antenne from the transmitter go outside the vehicle hood to let the receiver get the signal
    with the hood closed there was no signal to receive ( just a lot of steel preventing it )

Attached Files:

3. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thats cool.I would like to monitor coolant temp of that also as it's the coolant for the inverter. The inverter is the work horse of this car.
    Here's a very bizarre story. The other day i decided to add "water wetter" to that very same coolant tank thats in your pic. The coolant tank for the inverter full of the red coolant. Water Wetter is the best coolant anti corrosion product on the market. Especially for aluminum. I put a pint in the radiator overflow tank too.
    Anyway I removed about a pint of the existing red coolant from the inverter tank and added the same amount water wetter. The most amazing thing happened and I don't know why. When I got in the next day and did my daily commute the AC was freezing. I have had the AC on 69 for about 6 months. Rarely change that temp setting. It does a good job even in blistering Florida mid day commutes. Now that 69 setting is very cold. Its now set at 73. Even then I have to put it on low fan. I'm serious. Very bizarre. I regret not taking a before and after temp check of the coolant in the inverter tank before I added the water wetter but I don't know why it affected the ac temp. Only thing that could do that is to radically lower the temp of the evap coil up front.

Red Line Oil: Coolants and Others

4. Flying White Dutchman

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    mmm
    the prius got a climate control with temp sensor inside
    so if you set it to 69 the it wil stay in around that inside the car
    when the AC is able to cool more then it wil just turn it self off when its 69 and not get any cooler.......
    funny

5. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    No. The temp sensor only comes into play on AUTO. I never use AUTO. I run on manual. In manual if you put it in 65 degree's it will run until there's icicles in the car.