1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Wires to rear doors

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by tmorrowus, Jul 24, 2005.

1. tmorrowus

tmorrowus Member

I am thinking of running an extra speaker wire to the rear doors in my JBL prius so that I can put in aftermarket component speakers and have the crossovers in the cargo box for accessibility.

But I'm having trouble getting access. There is a connector on the car B-pillar just before the wires go into the rubber tunnel into the door. That connector blocks access to the rubber tunnel, so I would need to remove it and drill a hole to add another wire. The connector is viewable when you take off the vertical plastic panel over the front seatbelt mechanism. But I can't figure out how to disconnect it... there don't seem to be any places to press to release. Anyone know how to disconnect that connector to the rear door, or have any insight on how to add a wire there. I don't want to just drill blindly.

2. bobc

bobc New Member

Yeah, it's a bummer that the harnesses connect right at the body...

You can remove both sides of the harness. I can't seem to remember how I did that but I know I had a small flat-bladed screwdriver in my hand... I believe the latches are on the top and bottom.

In terms of re-wiring, as I see it, here's your options:

Use the existing OEM wiring, either just going through the rubber tunnel or from the amp. I'm not really up to speed on this, but I have had it explained to me that these existing wires are sufficient for new and better speakers. Selling new wiring along with the new speakers/stereo is just another way that they can make money.

You can dispense with the existing OEM wiring and run new wire from both sides to the harness. The trick would be in finding new pins to plug into the harness. This, of course, would be the cleanest.

I ended up running new wire and ran it past one of the latch points on the harness. So, now the harness no longer fully snaps back into place. But that's OK since one of the two latches still holds it in place enough so that it doesn't rattle.

Cheers,