1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Wiretaping and Torture

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by dbermanmd, Aug 15, 2006.

1. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Both seem to have played a HUGE role in breaking the latest plot for mass murder. If the terrorists had planned and plotted over here and both were used to break their plans what would you say?

The real question is if the US should adopt the obviously successful sets of laws and rules currently in play in England. What say you?

2. Proco

Proco Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Aug 15 2006, 11:16 AM) [snapback]303513[/snapback]</div>
    I haven't read as much about this as I probably should have. Do you have a link to an article detailing what was done? I'd really appreciate it.

That being said, I just can't condone torture under any circumstances. While it may be effective, I think the short-term gain will be offset by long-term problems. Specifically, the nut jobs will use it to rally around as yet another reason that we're "The Great Satan". Catching 10, 20, 50 crazies but potentially creating 100 more doesn't seem like a good trade off to me.

Plus, torture doesn't seem to be a very "Christian" thing to do. :) And, what if it didn't work? What if the people being tortured were completely innocent?

The biggest problem is there's really no way to win when you're dealing with crazy people. We torture, they use it as a recruiting tool. We act like the civilized people we are, they think we're weak.

As Spider-Man says, "With great power comes great responsibility." We're the most powerful country in the world. We have a responsibility to act in a way that shows the world that our way of life is something to aspire to.

3. glenhead

glenhead New Member

Wow - this thread will bring them out of the woodwork...

Damn straight we should adopt them - or, more accurately, re-adopt them. Used to be there was such a thing as "national security" around these here parts - secret wiretapping was really secret, the other methods used for gathering intelligence were still secret, profiling was not only done, it was taught to law enforcement and intelligence operatives, and we didn't coddle scumbags. No matter what you hear, the wiretapping does have controls - they have no interest in what you and your girlfriend do for phone recreation. They only tap the calls of scumbags, and it has to be under the OK of a judge. Period. The NSA doesn't actually listen in on every conversation, their computers scan for catchphrases. Period. If the catchphrases exceed a threshhold, they still have to get several layers of approval to even gather more intel, much less institute an actual tap.

The things called "torture" by the media are a long ways short. Take, for example, the so-called "abuses" of the prisoners that were photographed at Abu Ghraib - all they did was humiliate the prisoners. Oh, jeepers, they made the poor scumbag feel bad, and they damaged his little self-esteem - think of his fragile male ego, after all! The cultures these scumbags come from would *start* with beatings, and progress rapidly to removal of body parts without anaesthetic. Taking a picture of a guy on a leash, or of a cheerleader-type dogpile, is somehow worse than removing body parts while he's conscious. Huh? Waterboarding, sleep deprivation, temperature extremes, etc. may be unpleasant or downright terrifying, but they're still a long ways short of being pinned and having your arm chopped off, or having to watch as your daughter is raped. If it results in the disruption of planning, or in the discovery of weapons stockpiles, or in the capture of other scumbags who want to hurt us, then rock and roll. If it happens to an innocent, based on an honest mistake in intel, then make it up to that individual.

Profiling used to be carefully taught - I know it did, 'cause I had it taught to me when I was a sheriff's deputy in the early eighties. Someone please explain to me why it makes sense to single out an 87-year-old Scandinavian lady for a random detailed search. If terrorist activities are being perpetrated primarily by pre-middle-aged males of Middle Eastern descent, then why should screeners and law enforcement personnel not be able to keep a closer eye on them? Train the people exactly *what* to watch for and *how* to watch for it in individuals, and turn them loose. If innocent people get scrutinized a bit more closely, it's one of the prices that must be paid for a more-secure society. I *always* thank the screeners when I get pulled aside and checked more closely in one of their random picks - I'd rather they check me and catch the scumbag, than allow the scumbag to get through just to avoid damaging his poor ego.

There are prices we must all pay to live in a more-secure society when there are scumbags out there who want to take it all away from us.

4. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Proco @ Aug 15 2006, 12:11 PM) [snapback]303540[/snapback]</div>
    If the short-term gain of torture meant saving 3,000+ lives you would not do it?? Wow. I would in a heartbeat. And do you not have an obligation to protect innocent life if you are a law enforcement officer? What about wiretapping?

5. vtie

vtie New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Aug 15 2006, 05:16 PM) [snapback]303513[/snapback]</div>
    Are you implying that the U.K. has used torture, and that information gained from this was important in preventing a planned terrorist action?

6. Proco

Proco Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Aug 15 2006, 12:52 PM) [snapback]303561[/snapback]</div>
    How do you guarantee that the torture will save 3000 lives? Just because it happened in this case (again, I'd really appreciate a link to an article so I can better educate myself) doesn't mean it will happen every time.

Was it necessarily cause & effect in this case? If the torture led to the capture of the terrorist right before they got on the plane, then yes. But could the terrorists have been caught without torture? Maybe. We don't know. We only know what was done.

What if the methods used to save the 3000 lives today create more terrorists that succeed in killing 5000 people some other day? Also, as I asked before, what if you're torturing somoene who's not a terrorist? That's not saving any lives and it's hurting innocent people.

I personally don't belive torture is the answer. As I said, I think in the long run we'll end up worse off as a country if we go down that road. Do I have another solution? No. If you believe it would work and it would be the best solution, that's fine, too. I happen to disagree. Having the freedom to debate issues like this is a beautiful thing, no?

As for wiretapping, as long as the people doing the wiretapping are following the protocols that glenhead mentioned, then I have no problem with it. Same thing with profiling. Profiling can be useful, as long as we don't start seeing a terrorist in everyone wearing a turban. The biggest problem is making sure that there's accountability if the system is abused. If the wiretapping is really secret, who's overseeing it and making sure it's not being abused? If it's truly secret, we don't know ... it's secret.

The problem for me is I just can't see these issues as "black & white". I agree the terrorists are evil and if we can wipe them out we should. And I'm willing to give up a reasonable amount of "civil liberties" in the name of security. That's the world we live in today. I don't like it, but I have to live in it.

7. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I think torture is a dangerous precedent. Plenty of other countries view our country as hostile and probably have a definition of the U.S. as a terrorist. I heard on a radio program that most European nations are more fearful of our direction than they are of any arab state if this is telling enough. If we advocate the use of torture, we will be subjecting our military to the same end. After all, they have civilians and infrastructure to protect as well and we aren't exactly wanted in all corners of the world in which we reside.

8. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Proco @ Aug 15 2006, 02:16 PM) [snapback]303612[/snapback]</div>
    Agree with you totally.
    I would be a little quicker to give our law-enforcement people the right to do what it takes to prevent mass murder.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(vtie @ Aug 15 2006, 01:11 PM) [snapback]303568[/snapback]</div>
    Yes - and what would be considered an illegal wiretap here was used too.

The Brits have much more liberal anti-terrorism laws than the US and use them with obvious effectiveness now that they were burned once, knowing that they have at least another 70 active terror plots going from home-grown islamo-terrorists, and knowing they only have to miss once for mass murder to be done.

I wonder what liberal democrats here think of the current anti-terror laws in England? I believe each suspect is being held for 28 days without charges being filed - and that is just the start. Makes the Patriot Act look like child play - but then again they take this terror thing seriously as a country without the politcal divide we have here. They understand the situation much better than we do as a whole.

9. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I'm not sure we can compare another country's rules, politics, and practices with those in America. For example, China has been relatively successful in slowing population growth with their one-baby laws and their single-party politics. Likewise, they have been pretty good with removing political opponents. So to compare their successes in those areas with American society might not work.

Though I do agree on a limited level that we will have to accept certain liberty infringements over time. And I think a wise politician and government would instill those restriction slowly and only after we've gotten accustomed to the ones already in place. For example, the new X-ray machine that can see through everything right down to genital details, I'm in favor of that because it's the only way to truly and definitively see everything that someone is smuggling. To dumb down the machine is to compromise our securities.

Wiretapping is legal in the United States. It has been for many years. My beef with illegal wiretapping is that it's illegal. When a judge grants permission to tap my phone wires, I will accept it. When someone circumvents the other branches of power, then I'm concerned.

As for torture, I'm simply opposed to it. To arrgue in favor of it by playing the extremist card is not - in my opinion - a valid argument. To say that 30,000 people would be saved does not guarantee that the person being tortured is providing accurate information. Besides, many of the terrorists are willingly killing temselves to ensure that many others die. I'm not convinced that they care much how they die just so long as a bunch of infidels go with them. I'm sure their martyrdom is only increased if they die at the hands of their accusors a la Saint Peter, the Apostle Paul, Luke, Simon, Christ, Joan of Arc, et al. So to torture them is to play into their eternal redemption.

10. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SSimon @ Aug 15 2006, 02:29 PM) [snapback]303623[/snapback]</div>
    You are aware already that every American soldier captured in Iraq has been tortured and murdered? So in essence, you would not use torture to even theoretically save thousands of innocent lives?

And your point of view makes it that much more vital to be aggressive and attack terror and its support structures so they can not plot and plan. Afghanistan and Iraq now, Iran tomorrow. I agree with you in that aspect.

And the precedent for torture has existed for thousands of years - you want to hold our side to a different level of rules or conduct than our enemies.

And why do you care about what others think of us? You would conduct foreign policy based on the thoughts of people who may not be free, or may not understand the larger picture. You would have the UN control our foreign policy?? And think they did not even give us a split on the food for oil program :-(

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Aug 15 2006, 03:09 PM) [snapback]303651[/snapback]</div>
    I would be in favor of adopting current British rules of conduct with terror. I would use torture when "appropriate" - knowing that current methods are fairly foolproof in making people talk no matter how badly people want to die. Also note that the brainiachs behind the major terror plots are NOT the ones actually sacrificing their lives for it - they are too smart for that - like the homocide bombers, they send others and surrender when caught.

11. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Aug 15 2006, 02:17 PM) [snapback]303656[/snapback]</div>
    yes, absolutely i would most certainly want to hold our side to different level of rules or conduct. the world hasn't been "civilized" for thousands of years and to say that we should continue reverting to our old mechanisms is not considered progress by me. the u.s. has taken on the task of dictating,er advising, other countries how they should conduct themselves (by economic means or military means) and if we assume such a role, we should be leading by example. we should not lower our bar to that of the terrorists. especially at a time when this administration is supposedly spreading democrcay and freedom throughout the world. the conduct of this country shouldn't be tit for tat. maybe i'm just naive........

12. vtie

vtie New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Aug 15 2006, 08:51 PM) [snapback]303639[/snapback]</div>
    Man, you need to be a bit more sceptical about yourself. :huh: What you are presumably referring to is that Ian Pearson recently said that evidence obtained under torture could not be ignored if it might prevent an attack. But that's totally different from your claim that the U.K. itself has used torture! This refers to torture done by some other, independent country, outside the control of the U.K. Mr Pearsons words were:
    "When we get to the situation where there is evidence that might prevent a future atrocity and we have suspicions that evidence might be obtained from torture, well I think we have to use that evidence. I don't think you can completely ignore what might turn out to be vital evidence that will save the lives of UK citizens"

Most modern democracies has a law that sais that evidence obtained under torture should be disregarded. Mr. Pearson wants to weaken this under certain circumstances. But there is no doubt that the U.K. totally forbids torture, under any circumstance. And if you have any proof that torture was recently used by the U.K., I can only recommend you to sell it for a very large price to the press. You will be a rich man.

13. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sure, torture away. And go ahead and give up our civil rights as well. Our society, as we know it, is headed in the crapper so why not throw all our values out now instead of waiting until later.

It was nice while it lasted to have values, morals and ethics higher than barbarians.

14. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Aug 15 2006, 04:05 PM) [snapback]303691[/snapback]</div>
    We agree. Now that we are fighting the barbarians (actually worse), might as well fight by THEIR rules and not ours. Also like their current laws regarding terror although the current Democratic party would have diarrhea before they implemented half of it - like how ALL of England is behind their current laws to protect themselves.

How was your vacation?

David

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SSimon @ Aug 15 2006, 03:43 PM) [snapback]303675[/snapback]</div>
    I think you are, but that is ok. When the japs started beheading captured GI's that conduct stopped after we started doing it to them.

war is not civilized - it has codes of conduct that BOTH sides must uphold - if one does not - neither does the other. here, "leading by example" only leads to greater loss of life on YOUR side, not theirs and ENCOURAGES them to maintain that advantage.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(vtie @ Aug 15 2006, 03:47 PM) [snapback]303677[/snapback]</div>
    Either way - torture away to save innocent lives when facing possible mass murder.

15. glenhead

glenhead New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Aug 15 2006, 03:05 PM) [snapback]303691[/snapback]</div>
    What we need to keep this discussion civil is a good definition of "torture". In my view, nothing that we've heard about from any of the actions that have been elevated to the level of scandals has reached the point of actual torture. Humiliation doesn't qualify. Sleep deprivation doesn't qualify. Extended periods of loud music doesn't qualify. Subjecting the recipient to temperature extremes, without causing physical damage (heat stroke or frostbite), doesn't qualify. Waterboarding comes close, but the interrogators who use it have been carefully trained not to cause damage, so it doesn't quite qualify IMO. (The two guys I know who actually received waterboarding as part of an interrogation resistance training exercise are my sources for my opinion on it.) OTOH, breaking the skin, breaking bones, electrode use, actually abusing family members, any sort of sexual activity, beatings - those qualify as torture.

Also, when you make a blanket statement like "give up our civil rights", please list the explicit civil rights you personally have had to give up, and what impact that loss has had on your life. If you can't list any, then perhaps we should set such a statement aside. I honestly cannot come up with a single one - if I've missed something, I'd like to know it. I'm quite willing to change my mind on subjects if warranted.

16. Salsawonder

Salsawonder New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Proco @ Aug 15 2006, 09:11 AM) [snapback]303540[/snapback]</div>
    Christians have tortured people since the beginning of time.

Having said that I do fear that a blanket statement in regards to this is just not the thing to look for. Anytime you go to limit the rights of another individual you had better make damn sure that you have grounds for it.

One of the other scenarios that goes with something like this is that old "what if" game. What if it was say 5-6 years back and you had knowledge of the future WTC bombing. If OBL was standing in front of you would you murder him?? Would it make a difference or is this a snake with many heads?

17. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(glenhead @ Aug 15 2006, 03:28 PM) [snapback]303702[/snapback]</div>
    We aren't being 'civil' any more...we feel free to torture and violate privacy in our Brave New World. But, if there is to be a definition of torture that is the perogative of the OP...he chose to leave the term vague.

First let's dispel a falacy you're trying to slip by. Just b/c a civil right violation or loss has not personally affected me. Or even if it hasn't had a negative impact on anyone at all does NOT make it OK, just, fair or right. If a civil right is removed and has the potential for a negative impact in the future that is enough to make it wrong.

So, I won't fall into your lame trap. Wire tapping is a violation of civil rights and that is one violation that's been admitted to...and we have no idea which ones are still being conducted in secrecy. It is against the laws of our nation to do so.

18. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Aug 15 2006, 06:12 PM) [snapback]303764[/snapback]</div>
    Just having the potential for a negative impact makes it wrong? Why? Is it not wrong for allowing mass murder to happen to your own people. I thought the primary responsibility our leaders have is to PROTECT us from harm. If not being flexible means surrendering your safety and ultimately your liberty than that is for sure wrong. And "potential" is also incorrect in its use as defining right from wrong -- there exists potential in every direction - why do you assume that the direction "potential" is in the negative. If the "potential" exists that if a civil liberty were not to be taken away that would lead to millions of deaths - would that be wrong?

And wire tapping is legal in numerous circumstances as has been decided by multiple courts - including international calls. Fact has it that a wire tap provided info on this terror bust in England. In your world over 3,000 innocent people would be dead today at a minimum - are you that inflexible as to maintain your "academic" approach to the war on terror in light of the potential harm you would be inflicting on your fellow humans?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Salsawonder @ Aug 15 2006, 04:37 PM) [snapback]303707[/snapback]</div>
    Why do you pick on Christians? I hardly think they were the only people to torture others.

For your proposition - I would have tortured OBL first to get whatever info I could get (to bad clinton didn't do that or even try) then I would put him away for life - putting a bullet in his head would be a waste of a perfectly good bullet. Put him in solitary forever and ever.

And yes - there is a limited number of thinking heads on any snake - the only way to find out is to continually keep chopping them off - NOT letting them multiply and become fruitful.

19. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    dbermanmd, could you please point to some evidence that torture and wiretaps were imperative in breaking open the latest terror plot?

It had been asked earlier in the thread, but it must have slipped by you. While it'd be nice to have some "hard" evidence, a news story or even a blog claiming this would be interesting to see.

20. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Betelgeuse @ Aug 16 2006, 03:23 PM) [snapback]304235[/snapback]</div>
    You are not going to get hard evidence on the torture aspect - it was conducted in Pakistan. The wiretaps will also be hard to find - unlike the NY Times and other "double agents" in US agencies like the CIA, you will not find that type of person in England to let out state secrets. Numerous mentions have been made in the media about the role of wiretapping in this case.

What do you make of the 11 egyptian students who went awol and were found all over the US AND those american arabs found with over 1,000 cell phones in their van. Do you think there was a connection between the terror plot in England and these guys over here?