1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Wiring a Kenwood Powered Sub - Stock 2013 Prius 2

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by headamuse, Sep 24, 2015.

1. headamuse

headamuse Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

I have a factory sound system in my 2013 Prius 2. I just bought a Kenwood KSC-SW11 powered sub to stick under my passenger seat.

Does anyone have a wiring diagram of the rear of the headunit?

I've searched but came up empty handed. If someone has a tutorial with photos or a video that would just be awesome, otherwise I'll settle for knowing what the simplest way to wire this into the car is.

Right now my plan is...
    - Wire the sub input to the passenger speaker cable (I haven't located it yet)
    - Run a powerline back to the battery
    - Ground using a seat bolt
    - Find a 12v Accessory wire to use as remote (this is where I'm mostly unsure).

Jessemkane likes this.
  2. headamuse

headamuse Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So right now after reading the manual and reading how some other people installed their compact powered subwoofers I've decided to place it under the driver seat and use Low Profile Mini Fuse Taps for the power and remote cable and normal wire taps for the speaker wires.

Fuse Tap:
    [​IMG]
    The fuse tap allows you to piggy back the power off of a fuse rather than splicing any factory wires (pretty nice) but I'll still have to wire it to the Kenwood wires because the bullet connectors are different sizes.

My big question right now is to figure out which fuses to piggy back onto. Any advice anyone?

Jessemkane likes this.
  3. headamuse

headamuse Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok so I ended up using a fuse tap to wire the remote line to the ecu-acc fuse and then used another to wire the power cable to the seat heater fuse since my car has no seat heaters.

Really I nice clean way of doing it.

I figured out which wires ran to the speaker by popping the door panel off and looking at what plugged into the speaker.

Then used blue wire taps to connect the sub speaker wire to my car wires.

Grounded it to the seat bolt and I was done.

Conclusion... The install was super easy and clean. The Kenwood ksc-sw11 sound quality on the other hand is mediocre. I wouldn't have installed it if I heard it first. The lows aren't low enough. Unfortunately the stock door speakers produce a lower bass frequency.

I would just leave your sound system stock if I were you if you want audio clarity. Also the volume of the sub is noticeable but passengers might not even think you have a sub because its that weak.

Attached Files:

Jessemkane likes this.
  4. Jessemkane

Jessemkane Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Just wanted to reply and say thank you for the posts! I am looking installing an all in one in my prius as well and your write up and pictures will def help get the job done easier.

I was also looking at this thread
    Kenwood KSC-SW11 Subwoofer Installation 2014 Prius Hatchback | PriusChat

In which he installs the exact same system but under the passenger seat and he says it is 1000% better than stock. I was going to order one from Amazon today but now I am reconsidering after reading your thoughts on it. I def want the added bass to be noticeable. I'm not trying to blow any windows out but I want to at least know its there, is it really that bad?

Is the sub getting enough power from just tapping the fuse for the heated seats? I was going to run a power wire from the battery as I have always done on previous installs.

Again thanks for the post and the pictures!

5. headamuse

headamuse Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    OK after using it for a week or two... I've changed my mind on the sub, it is noticeable and adds enough low end to make it worthwhile. It took some tweaking between the filterand gain control on the sub and then the eq on the actual stereo.

I find that its sensitive to the style of music as well. You're not going to notice it on older rock but on dance music it will sound like you have a real sub.

Kenwood ksc-sw11 = worth it

Xterra72 likes this.