1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Wiring Dash-Cam

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by streeta, Aug 8, 2015.

1. streeta

streeta New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi. I am a newbie with a Gen 2 2008 T spirit Prius. I have fitted a dash-cam to the windshield, and picked up the 12V to drive it via a 12v to 5v converter, from the front roof light. The little converter runs very cool, and is only on when the ignition is on. I located the inverter in the sun-spectacle pocket built into the roof light.
    It is a disaster. If the interior intruder sensor is enabled, the alarm goes off several times a day. I will have to find somewhere else to locate the converter. I need to locate a wire or fuze under the dash, that is ignition controlled 12V. I can run the wire up the drivers side of the windshield under the trim to get to the camera, but I don't know where to find such a wire without running wires over the floor pan from the power 'cigar lighter' socket in the center console.
    Help would be appreciated.

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hi!

If you look over your wiring diagram on techinfo.toyota.com you can find which circuits are running where in the dash and front pillar areas and which ones are ignition- or ACC-switched, what colors they are, what fuse sizes they're on, what stuff is already powered from them, what the connectors look like, and exactly where they run.

It's also possible to tap into any always-powered circuit using a little device called a VCM-06 (I've posted about it elsewhere, and google knows about it) that can tell the difference in voltage when the car is READY and when it's not, and provide power only in READY mode without you having to find a specific switched circuit.

Cheers,
    -Chap