1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Wiring for Self Dimming Mirror on Standard Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Frontporch, Sep 16, 2022.

1. Frontporch

Frontporch Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I picked up an OEM Prius self dimming mirror with about 12" of the wire harness a few years ago... never used it.

I have a 2007 with the standard mirror and I would like to swap in the homelink mirror (car in junkyard was Gen2, but not sure of year). Thought this would be a slam dunk. Read somewhere, black is ground, white/black is acc power and red is always on. Ran some good wire up from fuse box taps to the dome light area. I have 12v constant, 12v on acc and I drilled a ground in that area. Tested all the wires and they are good.

Started to wire up the mirror and I have no response on the mirror LED lights. I connected ground and 12v to red and then 12v to white/black. no response. Took that mirror to another 2007 and connected it to that car's harness.... lights on the junkyard mirror work... Gasp.

Has anyone had success getting one of these to work? I am hoping it is self sufficient and can work without any kind of signal from the vehicle.

2. Frontporch

Frontporch Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    image.jpg

I found advice on YouTube. I had the wiring wrong. On gen2 white/black is ground black is acc power and red is constant power. Looks like it may be functioning correctly now

from the picture of the harness. Center wire is ground. Wire to right switches power and wire to left is constant. Color of wires and mount may vary by manuf and model

3. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I was going to say in Toyota them white black is usually power least in most of my old Corollas and what not I wouldn't expect a Prius to be different especially gen2

4. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    How do you like it now?
    Whether on or off, personally couldn't tell a difference either way.

5. Frontporch

Frontporch Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Turns out that’s the ground

Well i got it because my other 2007 that’s have owned for 4 years came with it. I love the option for the self dimming more than home link. I picked up another mirror thinking I might be able to put in my ranger somehow. I wish I could have the same feature on side view mirrors. I know it’s not everyone’s cup of tea but it works great out on the highway when there isn’t much other street lighting . I can really see the dimming action as headlights turn green

ColoradoCrow and SFO like this.
  6. ColoradoCrow

ColoradoCrow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I did this in my wifes 08 standard base model. We use the dimming a lot and the homelink also works great. Recently we moved and our new garage door opener is a 2014 model and would not work with our older cars. a $100 satellite device plugged into the outlet above the newer opener now signals the garage door opener which in turn is signalled by the homelink in our older cars. Everything now works fine....just had to get it going.