1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Wiring Harness - I'm confussed, it doesn't fit

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by LovingLife, Feb 11, 2011.

1. LovingLife

LovingLife Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    So I pulled out the JBL stereo this afternoon and I was checking to make sure that all my wires on my harness made sense and I knew where they needed to go. We'll I must of ordered something wrong or I'm totally confused, probably the later. The Scoshe TA02B connectors don't fit.

I have the following right now

Scoshe TA02B 1987-UP Toyota - Harness
    Metra ASWC
    Metra 70-8114
    Metra TTYT0-01

I obviously have way too many connectors right now. But if I remove the TA02B connectors I don't see how I'm suppose to connect the connectors from the Sony radio harness connector
    as all the wires necessary don't appear to exist on the Metra TTYT0-01 or Metra 70-8114 connectors.

Attached Files:

2. spiff72

spiff72 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I am probably the last person that should even ATTEMPT to answer this question, but my understanding of the way these interfaces work is that you need the TTYT0 to interface with the JBL amp, and the other two metra harnesses are for the SWC interface. I think that you don't need the 87-up harness, as it is for the non-JBL audio system (and you should have the JBL if you have a Prius III).

Did you look at the installation instructions for the TTYT0 on that page you linked to?

It appears to describe what the connectors are supposed to be used for (the one with RCAs goes to the appropriate RCAs of the Sony - blue/white goes to the amp turn on wire of Sony, and you attach the yellow, red and black wires of the 12 pin harness into the aftermarket harness for power and grounding).

Again - I have NOT done this myself, but I have been doing a lot of research on this over the last couple of weeks.

3. spiff72

spiff72 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I just looked at your photos again - it looks like you doubled up on the connector splicing (with the unneeded 87-up harness).

One thing I am not sure of is what the smaller white connector in the first picture is supposed to connect to when you are done. And is the blue connector in your first picture the antenna connector? Does this require an adapter to connect to the Sony, or does the Sony come with a connector for this?

Edit: Also I think part of your confusion on the Sony harness is that there will be a lot of unused wires (the speaker level outputs). These aren't used - you will end up using the RCA connectors (the pre-amp outputs), which feed their signal to the JBL amp. The only wires that I think you need to use in the sony harness are the various power source wires (acc, bat, ground, amp on, parking brake, speed?, etc.)

Again, I HAVEN'T done this myself (yet)! So hopefully someone else can chime in here and agree/disagree with my statements!

1 person likes this.
  4. spiff72

spiff72 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    One more thing - I think you didn't show another important Sony harness in your photos. There is another one that plugs into the back of the Sony that includes the RCA pre-amp outputs. These are what would connect to the RCA's of the TYT0.

5. spiff72

spiff72 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Me again! In digging through the wiring diagram, it appears that the smaller white connector in your first photo is the connector that feeds up to the microphone for the Bluetooth hands free (connector L45). This one should be left disconnected, as your Sony has the Bluetooth built in with its own microphone (which you need to mount somewhere). I attached the JBL wiring diagram in case you haven't seen it. I just figured out how to tell which wires are on which harness (the letter in the "bubble" corresponds to the connectors listed above the component descriptions).

I think I am living vicariously through you guys who are upgrading their HU's...

I am starting small with a separate iPod adapter for now (Kenwood KO-A300). I haven't found an affordable Nav unit that has both a good Nav and iPod interface, so I am going to try to live with the Kenwood unit for a while (it should arrive on Monday and I hope to get it installed Wednesday night).

Good luck!

Attached Files:

• ECW.pdf
      File size:
      258.2 KB
      Views:
  6. LovingLife

LovingLife Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Ah, I see I was under the impressing I had to connect the speaker wires in addition to the AMP connectors on the sony connector. I had seen the JBL document but I have to admit it doesn't make allot of sense to me.

In the TYT0-01 document it states:

"Connect the Red wire to the accessory/switched wire of the aftermarket radio"

I assume I can safely connect the red wire from the TYT0-01, Metra 70-8114, and the Sony Radio Harness together (see attachment). Is that correct?

[ Edit: Yes that worked ]

I know I'll need the ANT REM wire but I'm not sure where to connect that wire now. I've also got the ILLUMINATION line too.

The reverse wire is on pin 29 of the connector under the panel by the parking brake.

The speed wire is on the JBL amp under the seat purple wire.

[ Edit: The connections seem to be working still have to do Speed/Reverse, etc but for now the speakers and steering wheel controls are working ]

Attached Files:

7. spiff72

spiff72 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Again - I am not an expert, but it seems like you should be able to do this. (Just don't shoot the messenger if things go south on you.) Just make sure you have a proper ground too.

If you can figure out what wire to tap into for the illumination line, PLEASE share your findings! I need to find that wire on my JBL-equipped Prius for the Kenwood adapter I am installing, but there is no illumination wire in the radio harnesses (like there is on the non-JBL). I read something about it possibly being available in a connection to the ECU, but I am not sure about that one yet.

8. LovingLife

LovingLife Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I asked Metra Online support about the Antenna and the Illumination line that my radio needs. They indicated that the Metra TYTO-01 amp turn on wire activates the power antenna as well. So that one is now taken care of.

That still leaves the Illumination wire. The support guy told that Toyota does not provide illumination in their vehicles, just dimmer.

He explained the difference as:

Illumination stays on at all times when the light are on, like your
    parking lights. Dimmer will go down in brightness as you turn the dimmer down, like your dash lights. Aftermarket radios only dim down one degree when a light signal is present. If you connected the dimmer, the radio would flicker as it get's closer to ten volts, then it will pop up to full brightness once below ten volts. That's why you need an illumination circuit.

He indicated to find it you'd do

At the dash light dimmer switch. There will be a dimmer and
    illumination wire there, so make sure you test by dimming the wire to make sure you get the correct wire. And use a multimeter only. You could also tap into one of the parking lights.

This is beyond my skill level so I'll have to wait for someone to figure this one out.