1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Wiring to the squaker (front tweeter)

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by rrolff, Dec 24, 2009.

1. rrolff

rrolff Prius Surgeon

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Does anyone know how this thing is attached? Is the LF/RF just connected to both door and tweeters, or is there a crossover????

If so, does anyone know its location? Hoping to do my upgrade today...

2. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Are you replacing the squawker? If so, what brand / model? Thanks,
    Peter

3. rrolff

rrolff Prius Surgeon

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    No - I'm putting tweeters in the A pillars - but since I'll have the area open, I'd like to get wires to the HU. The idea being I may want to actually run the Squakers with the tweeters (and a passive crossover). But since I've got it all open, now's the time to at minimum run the wires.

4. PriusLewis

PriusLewis Management Scientist

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't know about the Gen III, but in the Gen II there's what appears to be a crossover built into the plug for the tweeter. I changed the tweeters in mine to Alpine and have been wondering about that crossover. Right now my left door speaker bypasses the thing while the right doesn't. I'm trying to figure out if it makes a difference. I'm not sure yet. It also appears on the Gen II that the wores from the head unit go up to the tweeter then back down to the door speaker. If the tweeter isn't plugged in the door speaker won't play, plus there are 4 wires in the plug.

5. rrolff

rrolff Prius Surgeon

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks - that at least helps - so maybe there is a crossover somewhere - and using the existing wires may not be as plug and play as I hoped :confused:

6. rrolff

rrolff Prius Surgeon

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Bumping this back up - from a schematic I saw, there appears to be a in-line capacitor to the front squakers - while the door speakers are directly connected. Does anyone know where this cap is located?

7. PriusLewis

PriusLewis Management Scientist

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Like I mentioned, it's right on the connector in the Gen II - I wouldn't be surprised if it isn't on the Gen III. A quick way to find out is to pop out the tweeter and take a look at the connector. And I still haven't decided if I like it better through the capacitor or getting full signal.