1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Wisdom needed for Preventative Maintenance suggestions. TIA

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by troubadours, Nov 13, 2023.

1. troubadours

troubadours New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I recently purchased a 2013 Prius Three. It has 142,000 miles and I want to do some preventative maintenance.

It is running well, so there's nothing wrong with it that I know of and I'd like to keep it that way. :) My only issue seems to be a lag on hills so I'd like to hear your thoughts on improving that.

I have been getting some suggestions from my friends who own a Prius about what to do to avoid the head gasket issue on Gen 3s and also to bring this one up to recommended maintenance (the Carfax stops with dealer maintenance around 80,000 miles. Oil changes were regularly performed. In fact, it was done just before I bought it as well as cabin and air filters changed).

Here's what's been suggested below. What should I do now, in your opinion. and what should wait?
    • replace EGR cooler and valve
    • replace spark plugs / tune up
    • replace water pump
    • clean hybrid fan
    • clean injectors
    • remove intake manifold and clean
    • Intake valve and combustion carbon cleaning
    • transfer case service and both differential services
    • throttle body cleaning service

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Yeah you can do all that That's money spent that you will not get back obviously generally the two Z engine around 200k a little bit past is generally going to have problems and you can either throw money at an open deck engine design get a new center section reciprocating mass all that business or not. Knowing what I know now none of that's going to happen We phased out the generation 3s and put all generation twos back in rotation problem avoided so that ends that we're not really keep up with the Jones's type so we have no personal issues that mandate that we have a later model car and all this kind of stuff none of that goes on so everything is great with the generation twos there's almost no maintenance just oil changes and overlooking everything and keeping everything clean and nice the '09 generation 2 that I have is as clean or cleaner than my 13 persona which is on its second engine the body doesn't look that great it's not really damaged it's just fading and flimsy the front bumper cover on the 13 looks like a big cow catcher grill like they all do now kind of silly as it gets older in the plastic starts to deteriorate all that stuff flaps in the breeze when you park the generation 3 you've got to keep it on flat pavement only Don't get near any parking pavers none of that It's just not worth all the extra hoopla to have the generation 3 or beyond now with the two liter in play we'll see what happens with that but it looks like that's a detuned A motor which if you Google that you'll see what's up.

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Sure, if you've got $500~600 USD lying around. Otherwise, try cleaning. See first couple of links in my signature, second one in particular for cleaning strategies. On a phone turn it landscape to see signature.
    They were due at 120K. You'll need to take the cowl off for EGR cleaning, AND for spark plug change, so good to combine. Pretty sure spark plug torque value in my signature. < Maybe not, see attached. Plug is revised from owner's manual, the "20" in name became "16", slightly hotter. Verify with dealership, which is your safest bet for avoiding counterfeit plugs.
    I'd just let them be, it can be a can o' worms.
    Again, see first couple of links in my signature. Torque values are in there, and some strategies for not spilling coolant.
    No idea what that is. Transaxle fluid change is a good idea, if that's what you mean. See signature for some tips.
    Catch that while doing the intake manifold.

Not on your list, worth considering, is brake fluid change. See signature.

Attached Files:

#3 Mendel Leisk, Nov 14, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2023
  4. bdc101

bdc101 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Are you planning doing these things yourself, or paying inflated mechanic prices?

A lot of these things are worth doing yourself but not paying someone to do.

Clean the EGR cooler and valve, intake manifold, throttle body, that's a good Saturday job that will cost you nothing except the cost of some brake cleaner and getting some brushes or pipe cleaners. Replace the coolant, water pump and PCV while you're in there, for about $300-400 in parts.

Replace the spark plugs is important but that's another 15-minute job. Same for cleaning the battery fan, that's a half hour of work with no special tools. Mechanics charge an arm and a leg for this stuff. Since your car is relatively low mileage and seems to be working fine, plan these things out in advance and save yourself a ton of money. I couldn't in good conscience suggest you pay a mechanic to do most of these things.

Several of these things are not maintenance items either. I have never heard of "intake valve and combustion carbon cleaning." Fuel injectors won't need any cleaning either. We don't have a transfer case since the car is 2-wheel-drive. But like Mendel said, you're overdue for a brake fluid change, that's something that's commonly overlooked.

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Toyota USA is complicit in that: they say nothing about brake fluid changes in the maintenance schedule. Toyota Canada recommends tri-yearly or 48k kms, since maybe 2014.

6. bdc101

bdc101 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I always thought it was weird that Toyota literally ignores it in the maintenance schedule for all their cars. But on the flip side, you don't see many Toyotas with brake caliper or MC problems even after 10-15 years on the original fluid.

My BMW requires fluid changes every two years! Crazy.