1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Wish I hadn't bought CR "New Cars"

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by bwilson4web, Sep 8, 2022.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Over time, we went from loyal CR subscribers to intermittent news stand buyers and none in the past four years. Then I saw their "New Cars" issue with "252 Models Rated". Normally I scan magazines at the newsstand but this time, I was in a hurry ... bad decision.

My impression is Consumer Reports are about 10-15 years stuck in the past. If you want a car expressing the peak of 1990s technology, CR is for you. But one bright spot, they list the towing capacity of all vehicles and I'm shopping for an EV tow vehicle in early 2023.

Bob Wilson

2. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The main objection to EVs from luddites on Australian car forums is "But they can't tow!!!!"

I struggle to care. I never tow. When I need to move a load of stuff, I rent a truck. If I need somewhere to sleep when I get to my destination, I book a hotel.

The fewer cars that can tow, the fewer caravans I get stuck behind when I'm driving to Broken Hill.

But it seems that so far they do have a point: even when EVs do have decent towing capabilities, it seems to be a serious range-killer. I suppose whether that's relevant depends on whether you're just towing locally or going further afield.

So far, it looks like the best option for towing is the Ford F150 Lightning (which we're not going to get here - it's too big for our streets). But the VW ID.Buzz can tow, I think, 1 tonne. And you can fold down the seats and sleep in the back.

Geely are bringing out an EV pick-up truck next year, which I think will have decent towing, but I don't know whether they're going to sell them in America. Great Wall and SAIC-LDV are bringing out EV pick-up trucks too, but I think I remember seeing that they can't tow much, and again I don't know whether you'll get them in America.

3. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    "When I need to move a load of stuff, I rent a truck." Avatar image does not support this humblebrag :p

hkmb likes this.
  4. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Very true. Perhaps I should have been clearer.

When I need to move a load of stuff that doesn't precisely match the colour of my car if it sticks out the back, I rent a truck.

Merkey likes this.
  5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Do you rent an appropriately-colored truck?

6. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, he did get rid of that vehicle.