1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Wish List v2.0

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by fruzzetti, Dec 17, 2007.

1. fruzzetti

fruzzetti Customization-Obsessed

California (Pulled over 6x, ticketed 2x for tint)
    Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok guys... I know we've all shared our wish lists before, and we've all contributed to helping one another achieve our wish lists, but I think I have some really hard ones ready for you now. Are you up to the challenge? I fully believe we'd all appreciate the subtle changes I'm going to propose...

(2.1) The shifter's anti-accident delay is too long for me. I want to just smack the shifter around and have the car do as I say. Others, especially those of large stature, may wish to have their shifters be even less sensitive (to avoid accidentally shifting into B or especially N when they accidentally nick it). The car should have a way to adjust this property.

(2.2) I want disc brakes all the way around.

(2.3) I want all four doors to sense hands. This should be attainable if the parts are mechanically interchangeable -- I'll just borrow all the signals from the passenger's side front door.

(2.4) I type on a Dvorak key layout. While most of you have homerows that look like "asdfghjkl;" mine looks like "aoeuidhtns" and since that's how my brain is now officially hardwired, I want the freedom to either select that key layout or customize the key layout (alpha and qwerty are insufficient for me).

Yeah, pretty much I want more control over what the car is doing; and even though I appreciate its intelligence and self-management, the user-friendliness is a bit too prohibitive to me.

Ideas? Contributions to the wish list? I think we should submit a 'consensus' to Toyota; they still listen to their users!

~ dan ~

2. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I want one of those customizable MFD displays that someone here posted a link to. It was a video from a car show taken at an Auto Show. Several different screens and you could choose the gauges, dials, and indicators you want.

For me, I want a screen with engine temp, interior temp/exterior temp, RPM, and an indicator telling me why stealth mode is unavailable.

3. fruzzetti

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I wholeheartedly agree, Tony; that's all on my Wish List v1.0. It's also tough to do, but completely possible using the CAN-view product.

~ dan ~

4. JaviNOS

JaviNOS Mod Freak

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Not bad! My wish list is similar..

• I want disc brakes all around too!!! Oh and I prefer hand brake over foot brake!
    • Sense me @ every door too!!!
    • Standard 16" or 17" lightweight wheels on all models... (darker maybe?)
    • SUNROOF!
    • Less aggressive traction control..
    • All wheel drive... rears running on another electric motor...
    • More horsepower (160 combined hp sounds nice) :rolleyes: same MPG...

5. fruzzetti

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think the all-door entry can be accomplished easily. I'm going to set out to do it over the next year sometime.

As for sunroof, one user already has one. But it's flat; I am still looking for a polyglass laminate manufacturer willing to take on a totally custom job. Alas, to no avail thus far, but I am still trying.

If I find a manufacturer that will do it, would you guys be interested in a bulk run of sunroof glass? It would bring the cost down a lot and then anyone could install your sunroof...

~ dan ~

6. pkscout

pkscout Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I just want to get the nanny out of my car. I'm a big boy. If I want to dial the phone while I'm driving, I should be able to. If I'd like to get detailed track info, I should be able to.

7. fruzzetti

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  8. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    DICE Silver kit.

Kidding!

Sunroof, a proper tach next to the speedo, fully automatic lights, HID fog lamps to they match the headlights, and DISC BRAKES.

9. fruzzetti

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So I'm getting that we're all trending toward a couple of the same major options here:

(1) Sunroof

(2) Four wheel disc brakes

Both of these would be important to me to get. Can't find a place yet for the glass, and I hope someone else will start looking for a brake conversion or a shop that can put forth the R&D to make one.

That would be a great project; how does $3000 for a DIY disc brake conversion sound?

~ dan ~

10. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    For that price, you sound like you would pricing out all 4 rotors. While I would love bigger fronts, I don't think it would work with the battery charging stuff.

If I'm ever at a junkyard and I pass a Echo, I'll just steal their rear discs.

11. AussieOwner

AussieOwner Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just cannot understand Toyota. 4 wheel disc brakes are standard on all Prii in Australia. I saw on another thread that they are standard on all Prii in Europe. Why they continue to use drums in America is beyond me? It is not as though they cannot do it.

12. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Why does such a well-equipped car come with such sh!tty tires? Both the Integrity and the Turanza EL 400 now standard on the Canadian 2008 are near the bottom of the list. Why Toyota cheaps out on such an important part, I'll never know. I can understand them leaving off the turbo...

13. fruzzetti

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't know if it would be that easy. I foresee substantially more than a brake unit swap. I have a feeling it'll take something that goes further up than the spindle.

~ dan ~

14. JaviNOS

JaviNOS Mod Freak

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Echo's had disc on all 4 wheels? :eek: I never knew that... Here in PR is all drums on rear I think... same for the Prii...

They should be standard on all cars for toyota... c'mon its 2008 (almost)... as for the sunroof... I dont see why it shouldnt be an option when you buy a Prii... I know milage would be affected but some people wouldnt mind trading a few mpg's for a fer luxury items...

15. Sitting Duc

Sitting Duc Feathered Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    A wish list; a list of wishes?
    • annoying: add the ability to disable the reverse beep on a non-US model
    • audio: have the "seek/track advance" button in RAND mode pick the next random song; NOT the next (sorted) song in the current folder
    • geeky: have a button that displays "since you powered on" MPG / petrol used / other useful stats - so when I arrive at work after 9 minutes driving, I can see how I did for the past 4 minutes; which it currently won't say. Put another way: I drive, I arrive, I press the button and see that I used $x litres to travel $y kilometres, and thus my l/100km is $z. I leave the car and walk away knowing how many dinosaurs I didn't burn on that drive.
    • annoying: the ability to disable the reverse beep on a non-US model :(
    • geeky: even more stats on the screen; like battery voltage, engine RPM, current draw. Obviously not going to be good for everyone; but I'm a geek, I want to see all of that :)
    • climate: add a "quiet" option to the A/C. When I turn it on, it comes on FULL FORCE (and full volume) until the car is definitely at the desired temperature. I'd much prefer it took longer to cool down / warm up and wasn't quite so LOUD :(
    Alright, that's my little list of not-quite so subtle changes that I would just love to see; all revolving around the '07 (non US) model. Which beeps when it backs up.

16. fruzzetti

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You're kidding me. Is there a part number for the rear disc brake setup in a catalog somewhere? I'll import that ASAP.

~ dan ~

I still cannot BELIEVE you can't disable it in a non-US car. But then, you guys got the EV-only switch as an option, among other things. Just disconnect the beeper :p

No great workaround to this, to date.

So Let $z = (100*$x)/($y)

Is there a way to read these using a Can-view?

Likewise. I want to page through realtime info from every single sensor.

This is why I don't use "Auto" on the wheel. I have to click "CLIMATE" then the low setting. And I almost always have the temperature set to "Lo" any time that isn't Winter.

It's more clicks, but you get to start without (A) getting debris blasted into your eye and (B) having to scream and yell so your caller can hear you.

~ dan ~

17. pkscout

pkscout Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I know about that. Seems odd to have to spend $300 and rip open my dash just to be treated like an adult (and no, the $99 won't cut it, as it only gives me back phone, not the audio display stuff).

18. fruzzetti

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's only money. That's worth way less than freedom.

19. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd really appreciate height-adjustable suspension. Lowering the car on the highway would enable better mileage and handling, and raising it on rougher roads would mean less expensive-sounding noises from the undercarriage.

20. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    having sensors on the backdoors does come in handy. my son is still in rear facing car seat in the back and in any bad weather situation (ya rare for Western WA in winter...but it does come up occasionally) i want to get him in first and it sucks to have to touch front door first...