1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Wish list

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by b777, Sep 14, 2007.

1. b777

b777 New Member

I hope that the next generation of Navigation Hardware includes a USB Flash Drive upload capability. A friend brought over his portable and it has the capability. We uploaded the upgrades in a matter of minutes without a stinking DVD. It would be a very nice feature Mr. Toyota if you are reading this.

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My wishlist

- Bird's Eye view... it's much easier to comprend (to me anyway) than a flat 2D view like a regular map

- TTS (Text-To-Speech). The voice can read the names back to you. How much is the licensing for reading the directions?

- Might be easier to have the Map/Info button on the wheel (I know there's a lotta buttons on the wheel already but this one is useful). It allows the playback of the last instruction as well as toggle between the nav and the hybrid screens

- Undo Speed Lockout (or have it unlocked when there's a passenger in the front seat)

3. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Sep 14 2007, 01:54 AM) [snapback]512358[/snapback]</div>
    I can only imagine what that would sound like in our area. We live on the corner of Shabwasung and Nagonaba, up a block from Wakazoo. Do they have an Ottawa and Chippewa option?

Tom

4. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(qbee42 @ Sep 14 2007, 07:02 AM) [snapback]512470[/snapback]</div>
    lol... and what if I take the Toyota nav to the arctic? Let's see it try and pronounce the native names lol.

5. NoMoShocks

NoMoShocks Electrical Engineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Sep 14 2007, 10:15 AM) [snapback]512586[/snapback]</div>
    And what if you take the Toyota NAV system to Main Street USA? I would like to hear it pronounce Main Street. I would like to hear it pronounce 1st Street. I would like to hear it pronounce any street at all. It doesn't.

Garmin GPS has six choices for Text To Speach (TTS) for English. One each male and female for English with US, British and Autralian accents. I just tested them out with Shabwasung, Nagonaba, and Wakazoo.

I set up an address on Shabwasung and another on Wakazoo and just kept going around and around the block with the different voices. A full trip around the block also included Nagonaba and the very frequently miss-pronounced indian named street "Main". I have not been able to find example pronunciations on-line, but I think some of the voice options did fairly well though. I did find the Ojibwe Pronunciation Guide so I have a vauge idea.

Tell me, does Gordon Lightfoot pronounce Chippewa correctly?
    And is Gitche Gumee an Ojibwe or Ottawa word?

I will see if I can make a video demonstration of the TTS features Garmin provides for $399 to $799.

6. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    hypothetically speaking.. yeesh. It IS a wish list after all.

And no Garmin isn't the end all be all. Other companies have TTS in their portable navs too.

7. chinito77

chinito77 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Sep 14 2007, 01:54 AM) [snapback]512358[/snapback]</div>
    Hum, my Prius has a Map/info button on the wheel. It also repeats the last nav instruction or the next instruction. Am I missing something here??

8. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(chinito77 @ Sep 15 2007, 09:24 AM) [snapback]513022[/snapback]</div>
    The Prius is the only one with this button. The HiHy/RXh, GSh and TCH don't have it

9. Spoid

Spoid New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Kinsale @ Sep 13 2007, 10:11 PM) [snapback]512348[/snapback]</div>
    I'd love this too. In Las Vegas, we are constantly getting new neighborhoods.

Unfortunately I think Toyota likes selling the upgrade DVDs.