1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

With "Experts" like this

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Tempus, Oct 23, 2005.

1. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Hybrid Cars - Are They Worth It?

"Because of the low speeds involved, the city portion of the EPA's test is accomplished in battery-only mode. ... The test fails to consider the fuel needed to recharge the batteries later on"

"Mining and smelting lead, copper and other heavy metals is an energy intensive process that generates both air pollution and deforestation. Disposing of the batteries when they outlive their usefulness also raises environmental challenges. Replacing a battery 5-7 years down the road could cost as much as $5000 (on the Prius - right now) plus the disposal of the battery which is considered hazardous waste."

Lead? And at least use 8 years so you're past the warrantee.

"Check with your insurer, I have heard of a few that don’t even insure hybrids."

"There are many cars built today that provide fuel economy over 30 mpg. Even Ford produces a Focus that is zero emissions."

(I think she probably meant PZEV?)

Ok, to be fair, she does get some points right. It's almost a Jekyl Hyde thing.

But, seriously, the alternative she mentions is a Kia Rio?

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'll do it, if no one else will, but we should compose a politely but firmly worded response to this terrible article specifically correcting her mistakes and send it from the PriusChat community. Articles like this make me nuts...absolutely no effort whatever to fact check.

3. djasonw

djasonw Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The bitch left her email address and her phone number. Not even sure if it is a woman. Anyway... feel free to write or fax her. She/He may respond. I don't even want to waste my time. The article was so incorrect it's not funny.

4. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    ok you guys...

we can either let it go or gain another Prius convert...

i think we all should write her a letter... i will post a copy of mine in my blog

**edit**

ok wrote mine and sent it...

anyone else yet?

5. LaughingMan

LaughingMan Active Member

So much misunderstanding... It's extremely frustrating.

Why is there so much resistance? Bunch of luddites.

6. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Yes, I agree we need to respond. But don't expect a convert, in fact don't even expect a reply. She most likely drives an SUV, or maybe a Kia Rio. Her opinion piece reads like she made up her mind and then gathered a few "facts" to support it throwing out everything that didn't fit. I think a lot of todays so called "journalists" engage that technique because it's easier and you don't need to do any real research.

7. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

I wouldn't be surprised if she was simply told to write an article to put hybrids down. Not that I am defending her, but I think the puppets on TV, papers, online publications etc. are told what to say/write. They are not journalists they are PUPPETS!

8. DanP

DanP Member

Bingo! With so many more media outlets nowadays (i.e., cable TV and the internet) the field of "journalism" has been "democratized" to include some truly stupid, lazy, grasping people, who would have been members of the secretarial pool in a bygone era.

9. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

Winters, CA: Prius capital of US. 30 miles W of S
    Didja read the claims, at the bottom of the piece, made for HER? (Undoubtedly written by...er, HER.)

Probably has "Car Care Aware" copyrighted...

And her "Expert" advice is that she "suggests" we FOLLOW THE RECOMMENDATIONS iN THE OWNER'S MANUAL.

Gadzooks, "premier" Lauren. Eureka! Why didn't I think of that?

I'll put galaxee or Rancid up against her any day.

10. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    whoa. at first i thought that pesky 'you' tag was back.. but no!

haha, jack, i'd have no problem taking down someone that dumb... in a war of words or otherwise ;)

11. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

omigod! galaxee's not just smart and, ahem, CUTE (sans proof, but we're all believers, eh?), but bench-presses 300 and can argue like Roseann

12. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Rawrrrr! Even though I'm still in the early learning stage about the Prius, and after reading thru that, 'editorial?', 'article?', I was still able to spot the things that were incorrect based on the information I've learned here in the last 2+ months...I'll leave it to the knowledge-filled pros to handle this chick this time. :)

13. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius

300?? eek, no. however, my husband can tell you i can argue like a lawyer! :lol:

14. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    here is a few articles published in the local paper this morning

http://www.theolympian.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a.../510230381/1003

a quote from this one about Toyota of Olympia where i purchased my Prius...

"there is one Prius on the lot used exclusively for test drives. It goes out 4 to 8 times a day"

another article

http://www.theolympian.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a.../510230378/1003

a quote from that. this was in response to a shopper who was quoted a price for an insight, and was later told the price would be higher "because of demand"

Mike Carter at the Toyota dealer said they sell the Prius at the list price and don't dicker.

iow no markup. that is their policy. they have averaged 20-60 on the waiting list ever since the 2004 came out. they also cut their fleet commitment to the state by 70% in order to have more Priuses available to the consumer

you might want to browse the rest of the paper. there are some good articles on the effect of getting rid of the gas tax that was recently passed in WA state and people are currently working to rescind it because of high prices.

15. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My e-mail to her:

Ms. Fix,
    Although your article "Are Hybrids Worth It" makes some excellent points and does contain some facts I was extremely disappointed in the complete lack of research and fact checking done. You went a long way to reinforce some very incorrect myths that seem to pervade the 'anti-hybrid' community.

Buyers pay a large premium for a hybrid Escape or a Prius, presuming that the increased fuel mileage makes them a better environmental citizen. While there's no question that the Toyota, Honda and Ford hybrids are more fuel efficient than their conventionally powered equivalents, the difference is nowhere near as great as the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) numbers suggest.

While showing the 'premium' paid for the hybrid Escape over the non-hybrid is fairly easy I challenge you to show me a fair comparison to the Prius. I paid about $27k for my loaded Prius--show me another mid-size hatch-back with Smart Key system, voice activated NAV, 6 air bags, Electronic Stability control, HID headlights with the cargo space and SULEV rating that Prius has. I think you'll be hard pressed to find one that comes within $2000 in price. If that is a "large premium" then I guess you're right.

Also, the difference in fuel economy IS as great as that the EPA numbers suggest. Put these vehicles side by side on the same route by the same experienced driver and you're going to get or exceed the EPA numbers....every time. The Prius is clearly more sensitive to variables, but when driven properly it will clearly perform as advertised. My 34k miles in my Prius has yielded a 52.5mpg lifetime MPG under diverse driving conditions in an all seasons area of the country. I routinely get 58-60mpg in the summer on a mixed rural, highway, city commute to work.

A hybrid, such as the Toyota Prius, Honda Insight and Honda Civic, costs anywhere from $3,000 to $6,000 more than a comparable conventional car. Despite ultra-impressive gas mileage, you'll have a tough time making up the price difference at the pump. In order to make your break-even on your hybrid it will take 5-7 years depending on the cost of gasoline. That may not be enough to make the change.

Again, I'd debate those numbers, esp. with gas in the $3/gallon range and depending on the vehicle your changing from. Also, I don't know of a vehicle (other than the Lexus 400h maybe--but anyone who buys that isn't concerned about cost savings anyway) that has a $6000 premium. Further, you have to define 'comparable conventional car'--that isn't so easy. I get much more out of my Prius than good gas mileage and I bought it for more reasons. You would never suggest that someone considering a Nissan 350Z look at the cost of the vehicle as a ratio of 0-60 times. There is much more to having a vehicle like a Prius than just gas savings and that is a point so dramatically overlooked. What about doing your part to save gas and reduce dependence on foreign oil? What about creating less pollution, what about the 'fun factor'? What about supporting the technology that can lead to the world being a better place? What value do you place on that? It's the same as the value placed on a luxury car to me--those who "pay a large premium" for a Cadillac do so to gain intangible things...stuff you can't measure with dollars and cents. Likewise for most of us who buy a Prius--we take pride in saving gas, we take pride in doing our part for the environment, we love the 'geek factor' of the advanced technology, we love the toys and luxury features, we love supporting those striving to make something better for our world instead of supporting the GM Bigger-the-SUV the better mentality....how much is that worth??

How fuel-efficient are these cars?
    Because of the low speeds involved, the city portion of the EPA's test is accomplished in battery-only mode. As the gasoline engine is off-line for a significant part of the test, the eventual mileage figure is grossly inflated. The test fails to consider the fuel needed to recharge the batteries later on. What's more, all energy-draining, electrically-powered accessories (including AC) are switched off during both the urban and highway tests. These variables contribute to the huge discrepancy between the EPA's official numbers and hybrid owners' real world experience.

Of all the things you said in your article this is the one that really got my goat. The reason for that is that it clearly shows that you did no independent research on this subject at all. The fact of the matter is that the battery SOC (state of charge/level) was required to be at the same level at the end of the testing as it was at the beginning. You are just totally factually off base and misleading your readership and this will be repeated over and over in the anti-hybrid forums, in conversations at water coolers and elsewhere. And it will be believed to be fact b/c of your professed "expertise". I promise you I have looked much more closely at how the EPA testing was done on hybrids and you are 100% wrong here.

In fact, I'd say that the mileage figures quoted are grossly under estimated...in fact they are adjusted downward from the actual numbers obtained during testing so that they do not appear inflated. The reason the numbers seem 'inflated' is b/c the methodology for testing is ridiculously outdated and doesn't represent real-world driving conditions. They are currently considering a re-vamp of testing methods to more accurately represent the real world.

The fact of the matter regarding mileage is that with careful technique it's possible to average 30mph with mpgs in the 70-80mpg range. The problem is most of us can't drive for 700 miles at at time at that steady speed. NO car regularly gets EPA mileage in regular driving due to many variables. On a percentage basis the hybrids may perform mildly worse in comparison to 'conventional' vehicles, but certainly not 'grossly' worse.

Of course, if gas mileage is the ultimate goal, all of these strategies could be applied to a “standard†car. A non-hybrid model with the equivalent modifications would significantly narrow the mileage gap with its hybrid sibling. In fact, in normal use, the margin between truly comparable hybrid and non-hybrid cars could be less than 10%-- hardly enough to justify the extra purchase price. And, lest we forget, the hybrid's gas-saving advantage is not without its own particular environmental costs.

Again, blatantly false. The exact same methods are applied to testing conventional and hybrids.

For example - you can buy a new Kia Rio for $12,000 and it gets 38 mpg. Does that make sense?

What doesn't make sense is you using the Kia Rio to compare... It is a tiny car with none of the emissions standards, it is not a mid-size vehicle, it has none of the features that the Prius does. At the least you could have used the Corolla if you want to get close to a fair comparison. Honestly though your best comparison would have been a Jetta TDI...but that can't touch the Prius when it comes to emissions or features and fuel economy is generally not quite as good and reliability is a joke compared to a Toyota Prius.

Will they stand the test of time?
    Gas - electric hybrid engines use several large batteries. Creating these power cells requires a couple of hundred pounds of heavy metals-- not to mention the copper used in the large electric drive motors and the heavy wires they require. Mining and smelting lead, copper and other heavy metals is an energy intensive process that generates both air pollution and deforestation. Disposing of the batteries when they outlive their usefulness also raises environmental challenges. Replacing a battery 5-7 years down the road could cost as much as $5000 (on the Prius - right now) plus the disposal of the battery which is considered hazardous waste.

Again, propagating more misconceptions and a total lack of research. The Prius uses a single 99lb HV battery it does contain multiple, individually replacable, modules. The amount of metal used is nominal in comparison to any other conventional vehicle...how much metal do you think is in the average transmission or the frame and engine of an H2 Hummer?

Toyota has a plant in Japan with the exclusive purpose of recycling the NiMH batteries. The electrolyte in the modules is replacable. Lead is not used in the HV battery--though it is in they tiny conventional 12v battery in the Prius.

No one knows what replacement cost will be...you know why? Because no one, since the Prius was released in the US in 2000, has had to pay to have a battery replaced out of warranty. The few people that have replaced batteries have gotten them in warranty (8 years, 100k miles--10 years/150k miles in states that use California Emissions standards) or, if damaged in an accident have gotten salvage batteries at nominal cost. Most of the early Priuses are still going strong on their original batteries with many over 200k miles. How many transmissions, engines, differentials and other expensive components are still going strong after that long in a 'conventional car'? Cost for a replacement will surely go down as more an more vehicles are produced. Toyota now owns 60% of Panasonic EV--the maker of HV car batteries and they hope to be producing 1 million hybrid cars a year in the next several years. Computers used to be expensive too...but the more that are made the cheaper they get...I think we can expect likewise from the HV batteries.

What about the insurance costs of a hybrid?
    Another issue to consider is insurance, it will cost more for insurance on a hybrid. If the vehicle costs more – then it will cost more to replace it. Check with your insurer, I have heard of a few that don’t even insure hybrids.

I absolutely can't believe you said that. I've never heard of one company that doesn't insure hybrids and I spend several hours a day on hybrid internet forums where people come and complain about anything and everything. Some companies offer discounts for hybrids, but for the most part insurance costs are identical to any conventional car.

Does it cost more to maintain a hybrid?
    As with any car - one needs to “Be Car Care Awareâ€, on top of the initial cost you are not immune to basic maintenance. This includes changing the oil, coolant / anti freeze, wiper blades, tires, brakes and filters. I suggest following the directions in your owners manual. If you fail to do this, your automotive expenses are sure to increase.

The biggest maintenance issue would be that you should go with the dealer for maintenance since other mechanics aren’t trained about the hybrids, (they will be soon) and could really do some damage. Even things that seem unrelated to the hybrid system can be crucial, as so much of the vehicle is integrated with the system. That said, hybrids in general have proven quite reliable, and service intervals are quite long - first service/oil change is at 10K miles.

I'm going to complain about this paragraph too. The inclusion, for the casual skimmer, suggests that it does cost more to maintain a hybrid. You never said that is does, but you also never said that it doesn't. In fact my maintenance costs are less as I only have to change oil once every 5k miles instead of the standard 3k mile on most cars. I'll probably never have to replace my brakes thanks to the regenerative braking system that practically eliminates wear of the brake pads, disks and rotors.

I can't complain about the second paragraph.

I hear a lot of myths about hybrids – can you help?
    Dispelling some of the untruths:
    - NO, you don't need to replace the electric motor.
    - NO, you don't need a special mechanic to service the car the oil changes.
    - NO, the EMT rescuers won't refuse to help you, because the car is a hybrid.
    - NO, the batteries will not create more of an environmental mess than they cure.
    - NO, maintenance is not significantly more expensive than for a non-hybrid

Well, I'm glad you addressed those myths, I just wish you hadn't perpetuated the others above.

What other choices do you have?
    One more point... many people buying/driving hybrids are not doing it to save money. There are lots of other reasons, such as reducing emissions, reducing usage/dependence on oil, etc. And of course, its environmentally friendly.

A bit too little and too late for that don't you think?

There are many cars built today that provide fuel economy over 30 mpg. Even Ford produces a Focus that is zero emissions.

I'm going to guess that this was a typo--no car produces "zero emissions". One of the ford focus models qualifies for PZEV rating.

The bottom line is that Americans are fond of turning to simple silver bullets to solve complicated problems. The hybrid solution seems ideal. Want to be environmentally responsible? Buy a hybrid. A hybrid car offers instant gratification, PC-style. It will help you feel better about your daily energy consumption habits.

To me this just strikes as a snub. Albeit hybrids are not for everyone, nor do hybrid drivers, in general, consider them a silver bullet. I didn't buy my Prius to be PC. I bought it b/c it makes sense. The cost was within my budget, it had the size, power, features and styling I desired. The coup for my decision came down to better fuel economy, better emissions, and better technology.

I think you were trying to do a good thing with your article, but I think you've done a bad thing in the end simply based upon lack of expertise about hybrids. You're not alone, but it's unfortunate you didn't use this opportunity to become an expert and learn your facts before doing even more damage.

I would love to have the opportunity to better inform you of your misconceptions. Come hang out at Priuschat.com and ask some questions there. We can point you to factual resources so you can truly be the expert people expect you to be in your articles.

Evan E. Fusco, MD
    Nixa, MO

16. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    very nice letter...

heres mine...

Dear Lauren:

i read your article entitled Hybrid Cars – Are they worth it? I currently own a 2004 Toyota Prius and I think its fair that I give you some of my experiences that I have had. Also, some of the statements you made don't reflect the full reality of the situation.

What to think about before buying?
    Yes, hybrids are more expensive and their popularity has provided many opportunities for dealers to add a premium to the sticker. But the new tax laws taking effect Jan 1, 2006 should help alliviate that problem. also, if money is all that is a concern, I have yet to see a Hummer for $22,000. Maybe a study on the rising health costs and possible reasons for that including higher polution levels and the incident of respiratory dieases.

How fuel-efficient are these cars?
    You are also right about half of this statement. Yes, the Prius does use battery power at street level speeds. But a fully charged Prius will only go a few miles under the best of circumstances. If the EPA city tests are longer than this (and they are) then your statement is completely wrong. My daily commute is 8.8 miles one way in the city. It has 8 lights, 2 stop signs. speed is either 35 or 40 mph. My gas engine will cycle on about a dozen times. So those high mileage figures DO take into account the amount of gas burned to get those numbers.

Also, the mileage from any car is dependent of driving styles, conditions, traffic, topography, and temperature. (albeit, probably more so in the Prius than anywhere else. imho, the Prius is best in warmer climates. That is the only real knock on this car) It is very possible to get the 60 mpg in city driving as I have done it many many times. (See my signature)

Will they stand the test of time?
    Obviously, that remains to be seen. But we already have some compeling evidence on the Prius Classic (2001-2003) A Vancouver, BC taxi company had several Prius Classics that were driven over 200,000 miles with no more than basic maintenance and few repairs common in cars with that kind of mileage (brakes, etc). What didn't need replacing was the battery, EV system, etc. iow, the hybrid component of the Prius passed with flying colors. The 2004 or Gen 3 made improvements on the battery charging and monitoring systems so reliability should only get better.

What about the insurance costs of a hybrid?
    I have spent a lot of time thinking about this statement. I still don't understand it nor can I even guess as to why you said this. My state (WA) requires insurance and also welcomes any solution that saves gas and reduces greenhouse gases. The only change in my insurance rates was that it went down because of the anti-lock brakes. And if your statement was even vaguely correct, a Hummer would be twice as difficult to insure because its twice as expensive.

Does it cost more to maintain a hybrid?
    Can't argue this one too much as most of what you said is spot on but also applies to most cars. Since the hybrid components have a rather long warranty (8 years and 100,000 miles. longer in select other states like CA) not a lot to worry about on the repair costs, at least initially.

Finally,

There are many cars built today that provide fuel economy over 30 mpg. Even Ford produces a Focus that is zero emissions.

Wow... another statement that I don't understand. What fuel does it use? There is not a gasoline engine in the world that has zero emissions.

If you have any questions or would like to learn more about the best hybrid on the road today, i recommend www.PriusChat.com. It is full of user experiences both good and bad. This site goes a long way towards dispelling myths and setting correct expectations for current and future owners.

Thanks for your time,

17. coloradospringsprius

[My contribution to the mailbag.]

Dear Ms. Fix,

I apologize in advance for this email. I'm a professional journalist myself, and I doubt you enjoy critical letters any more than I do. But as the fanatical owner of a 2005 Toyota Prius, I'm compelled to point out some factual errors in your expertclick.com article about hybrids. There has indeed been a lot of uncritical hybrid hype, and it should be corrected. But there has also been a lot of anti-hybrid misinformation, and while your article debunks some of this - thank you! - it also repeats several misconceptions.

1. "In fact, in normal use, the margin between truly comparable hybrid and non-hybrid cars could be less than 10%-- hardly enough to justify the extra purchase price."

It is absolutely inconceivable that a Prius-sized gasoline-engine-only car, driven in a comparable manner, in comparable conditions, could get within 10 percent of the Prius' mileage. In slow, stop-and-go driving, the electric motor's 295 lb-ft of torque plus regenerative braking give the Prius a huge mpg improvement over conventional cars. At highway speeds, where the electric motor is rarely used, the Prius' Miller-cycle gasoline engine provides a vast improvement over traditional Otto-cycle gasoline engines. (The Prius' engine is 40 percent efficient, compared with about 26 percent for a well-tuned Otto cycle engine.) At 55-60 mph, we regularly average 57 to 62 mpg. The attached photo was taken after several days of my wife and I squiring her parents around Colorado highways, with the A/C on most of the time (modestly - it was not that hot that week). Of course, I could be a liar and a master of photoshop, but assuming I'm telling the truth, you'll surely agree that even the Kia Rio couldn't come close under comparable conditions. (I know what you're thinking - only a total geek would take pictures of his car's multi-function display. Guilty as charged! :)

It would be great if the EPA revised its testing, because that would put to rest the myth that the current test disproportionately favors hybrids. With almost 7,000 miles on the Prius, I'm getting lifetime 52.8 mpg - almost 96 percent of the EPA's combined highway/city mileage. Very few conventional car owners get closer to their EPA ratings then this.

There are also real-life situations in which the Prius might not break 40 mpg. But these are the same conditions in which conventional cars don't come anywhere near their EPA estimates - for instance, a short, stop-and-start commute in an extremely hot or cold environment. You'll still get dramatically better mileage in a Prius.

2. "Creating these power cells requires a couple of hundred pounds of heavy metals-- not to mention the copper used in the large electric drive motors and the heavy wires they require. Mining and smelting lead, copper and other heavy metals is an energy intensive process that generates both air pollution and deforestation."

Since you debunk the "polluting batteries" myth later on in your story, I'm not quite certain what you're getting at here. But for the record, (1) the Prius' battery weighs under 100 pounds, and (2) Toyota designed the Prius to be green from cradle to grave (I'll send you the link to their life-cycle analysis if you're interested), so the environmental impacts associated with manufacture and disposal are somewhat less for the Prius than for a traditional 2800-pound car.

3. "Replacing a battery 5-7 years down the road could cost as much as $5000 (on the Prius - right now) plus the disposal of the battery which is considered hazardous waste."

The Prius' battery is warranted for 8 years/100,000 miles (10 years/150,000 miles in California), so of course they're designed to last much longer. If they eventually fail, Toyota has a recycling program. And the replacement list price is $3,995, plus a couple of hours for installation.

4. "Check with your insurer, I have heard of a few that don’t even insure hybrids."

Which companies? Without naming names, this is dangerous hearsay. We got an excellent insurance rate in Colorado, because of the car's optional non-hybrid safety features, such as stability control and side airbags.

Thanks very much for your time and attention - and again, my apologies.

Yours, blah blah blah

18. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Here's my email which is minorly modified from a /. post I made a while ago:

some parts of your "Hybrid Cars – Are they worth it?" article seems to be very poorly researched without supporting data. I'm submitting some data for your comparison.

A Civic is seriously overpriced compared to a Geo Metro or a go-cart. Why not compare apples-to-apples, such as a Prius to an Accord or Camry since you want to compare to a car (midsize) of similar interior space & comforts, right?

Lessee, the equivalent Accord would be the 4-door sedan w/ nav http://www.edmunds.com/new/2005/honda/acco...denav..7.Honda* with your voice activated NAV, ABS, 5 person seating, power everything, alarm, immobilizer, EBD, cruise, button covered steering wheel, air filtration, alloy wheels, 6 CD stereo system, similar engine specs (yes, the hybrid 1.5L is about equivalent to the 160HP gas).. blah blah blah with specs http://www.edmunds.com/new/2005/honda/acco...denav..8.Honda* of nyah compared to the Prius with specs of nyah http://www.edmunds.com/new/2005/toyota/pri...enav..8.Toyota* and ... OMFG the Prius is slightly roomier... Continuing on, the prices come out to the same $26K MSRP +/- a few hundred. OMFG! Is this what a premium, or overpriced math, means?

Now, let's compare to the similiar Camry http://www.edmunds.com/new/2006/toyota/cam...enav..8.Toyota* and you find the Camry only very slightly roomier and a few K cheaper until you count the missing Nav and maybe some other options.

You previously named a 15K Civic, a watermelon to pineapple comparison. Well, no way it's the 4 door EX with Nav because that's $20K+ http://www.edmunds.com/new/2006/honda/civi...s.html?action=1. How about the "Bottom of the Line" DX sedan http://www.edmunds.com/new/2006/honda/civi...arch.0.3.Honda*. The seating room is pretty close to the Prius, although it's missing 4" of rear legroom and 4 cu-ft of cargo space. Subtract NAV, premium audio, HID head lights, etc http://www.edmunds.com/new/2006/honda/civi...denav..7.Honda* and I can see the $10K difference might be a bit "much". But then the Civic also doesn't have the alacantara-like http://www.google.com/search?hs=Imz&hl=en&...oth&btnG=Search microfiber cloth upholstry used on many premium Bimmers, Subarus which are considered by many NOT to be premium-less vehicles. That's fine too, because you can get things in leather come 2006.

So now that we have this imaginary premium that somehow exists for Hybrids, but does not for SUVs, cars with bigger engines, and etc etc because V6+ premium/German goodness and all that shininess of a Hummer somehow comes for free and you've already broken even without breaking the bank unlike the evil Hybrid?

Maybe there's no SUV premium because of the governmental subsidies by the way of large tax breaks (paid by YOU and ME) because of SUVs' heavyweight status. On a tangent, did you know many SUVs are illegally driving on city/residental streets? http://slate.msn.com/id/2104755/

For you real geeks, the Prius electronics hard-maintains charge levels between 40% to 80%. Pretty difficult to kill a battery doing that.

Don't forget to add the reduced maintenance costs of hybrids because:
    o some are Japanese cars
    o they use their engines & brake pads a lot less
    o the Prius does not have a timing belt so no replacement necessary
    o lifetime no emissions tests in California
    o 8 year/150K warranty on the hybrid battery (try to beat that mileage with your regular car battery) for the Prius
    o the Prius itself has been around since ~1997 with a few cabs already over 150K miles with no battery problems compared to how many million recalls for other cars?
    o just oil change/tire rotation for the first 60->100K miles

BTW, FIRST service/oil change is at 5K and every 5K miles, but all it involves for the first 100K miles is tire rotation and oil change. Filter checks in between, but that doesn't cost a "premium".

Then there's the "imaginary" savings of having clean air so kids don't have asthma and growing up leaning on the health system a bit which is paid by OMFG my taxes. Of course it's arguable that the money would've went to Iraq anyways, but I digress.

I own a Prius because my drivable 9-year old 37MPG Civic HX CVT needs repairs that costs the down payment for a Prius. Did I pay for a markup?

So did I miss anything here? Oh YA.. NOW let's add up the cost savings for the better gas efficiency per pound of a Hybrid... or not bother.

So sure believe everything CNN and the anti-hybrid hype writes. BTW, how much is it going to cost to repair/replace that normal manual/automatic transmission 5-7 years down the line? Maybe $5-7K and no longer being made, while batteries incrementally improve over the same time span? People want to know!

Please support your article "facts" with data supporting your Award-Winning Expert status that does not belie your 20 years of experience.

QED

Sincerely,

19. aka007ii

aka007ii New Member

Ironic how I rented a Kia Rio to drive to Ventura and put my deposit on a Prius. That Rio is the biggest (littlest) pile of junk next to a Yu-Go (spelling?). I think it's only a tad bit smaller than my Civic but I almost rolled it going around a corner that would make my Civic laugh. It handles like snot. So, the small price for that car is "you get LESS than what you pay for" at $12,000. I would rather buy an H2 just to drive it off a cliff before even thinking of even EVER driving a Rio much less buying one. If I have to rent again I will wait however long is necessary for any other car.

20. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

But how do you really feel?

:lol: