1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

With gas spiking & even SHORTAGES likely soon, I might Plug-In. :)

Discussion in 'Prime Technical Discussion' started by The Big Sleaze, Mar 7, 2022.

1. The Big Sleaze

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    Two Eco
    Only Plug In about total of 2x just for laughs in my garage (otherwise love the CRG mode to fiddle with...if I know I've got bunch of short trips or bumper to bumper coming up I'll CRG to keep ICE from cycling, etc).

So, I'd like a link to best extension cable 50ft min on Amazon. I hear at "full recharge" a Prime is spec to pull 12 amps. Does that mean I should be OK (in cool weather) with a cord spec for 12amps (yeah, I know Toyota says "don't use cords" for legal reasons)?

For some weird reason all the 20amp cords got funny connectors. I might have some super heavy duty old construction cords with BIG copper. If I install good heavy duty household ends how can I test if they would be G2G to recharge a Prime at 100ft or more?

How to test if cords or links of cords are OK to recharge Prime? (if flashlight lumen ratings are any clue, lots of cords are being sold with bogus AMP ratings).

If its a good industrial commercial outdoor GFI outlet, what Bad Thing could happen if I overload a cord charging a Prime? Will it just overheat/melt the cord or trip a breaker....but Prime and factory Prime recharge cord will be OK?

Yeah, I know I SHOULD "always follow Toyota" etc. but I'd like to have stuff sorted out for SHTF in case I need to go outside that in semi-emergency.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you can also set for 8a iirc. i would feel the connections to see if they are getting uncomfortably warm

3. BiomedO1

BiomedO1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    IMHO: 12 gauge or lower AWG & make sure it's the only thing plugged into that circuit. It will draw 12A, so anything larger than a cell phone charger on the same circuit will trip your circuit breakers. The extension cord will heat up on the ends/connectors. If you get a bad extension cord, where they run out of copper wire mid-cord; it'll heat up there too. Use your hand or a temperature gun to check/test - an hour or two into charging. Plugging into a GFCI would also be helpful; but that power brick on your charge cord should trip; if it's doing it's job.
    If you push your charge rate down to 8A; it's going to take more than 5 hrs to fully charge. Around 2 - 2.5 hours at a free mall or city building charge-point.

4. road2cycle

road2cycle Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    If you use an extension cord you move the feature of the EVSE brick which, without an extension cord present, monitors the power outlet temperature and shuts off charging if that connection gets too hot. The EVSE connected to an extension cord will now be monitoring the temperature of the female end of the extension cord.

It takes over 7.5 hours to charge a fully depleted battery at the 8 amp rate.

5. MTN

MTN Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    When I looked into cords, I settled on Voltec - US made, higher quality than all the other ones in a similar price range (like Southwire). You might find them also sold under US Wire and Cable brand.
    12/3 for up to 50', 10/3 if you need longer
    they have the "extreme" model for below freezing temps, but the standard one should be fine

USW 74050 12/3 50 ft. SJTW Yellow Outdoor Lighted Extension Cord | Tools4Flooring.com
    U.S. Wire 99050 50 Ft. Three Conductor Artic/Tropic Cord, 12/3 Ga. SJEOW-A, 15A, Blue w/Red Stripe | B251132 - GLOBALindustrial.com