1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

With little alternative; I am about to purchase a Green Bean Battery. Open to information

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Prius4lifenow, May 20, 2024.

?
  1. Buy The Green Bean Replacement thru Affirm financing

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. Take the Chance car stops running and keep looking for alternative

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Prius4lifenow

Prius4lifenow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    SE
    I purchased a used 2006 Prius with 118k in October 2023. I love the Prius, I have never enjoyed driving any car more than this one. Here is my situation and why I am about to choose Green Bean over all others, even after reading the information posted. I welcome any information someone can provide.

• Diagnosed with heart issue Feb 2023, was out of work for 8months with no ability to keep up on bills, credit took major hit; needed cosigner just to get the prius
    • Got Prius and instantly started Gig delivery driving; drive a lot, Odometer now reads 152k after 7 months of ownership
    • Month ago replaced most suspension parts in front end, now rides smooth from that standpoint.
    • Noticed issue with acceleration right before replacing CV axel; did not know it went into limp mode, and never was given indication Hybrid battery was failing
    • Now I know for 100% hybrid battery is bad and getting worse.
    • Still able to drive, I know not recommended and wont be for long, to earn money to live
    • With credit hurting, no savings at the moment, I am able to secure the financing thru Affirm (My friend is able to assist with this, but not traditional credit) to purchase battery thru Green Bean
    • My Gig driving is only income I currently have, Prius is my only vehicle
    • My goal is to have a working Prius for 18-24 months before looking to trade in for an updated Prius. With the situation I presented, do I have any other alternative I may be unaware of, or does this sound like my best option?

2. highmilesgarage

highmilesgarage Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    before replacing the HV battery, are you seeing the red triangle of death? are you getting the codes (check engine light) to replace hybrid battery? limp mode could be anything else.. the hybrid battery is just one of them.

Brian1954 likes this.
  3. fragglestickcar

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Your only other alternative would seem DIY install of a coupon deal OEM. This would be approximately the same money as the Green Bean refurb. I'm also in NY and I did this a month ago on my original 2006 battery with 140k. But my circumstances are quite different from yours since I've the luxuries of time, the tools, and messing up the install wouldn't impact my livelihood. The upside of this alternative is learning a new skill and increased resale since knowledgeable buyers shy away from Green Bean refurbs.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how does green bean price compare to new?
    be aware that green bean is hit or miss like other reconditioned batteries, but gets decent reviews from some. the warranty will be important

5. Prius4lifenow

Prius4lifenow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    SE
    Thank you for the reply. I have placed my order with Green Bean and have approx 2.5 to 3 week wait as inventory in my area is low, but have made arrangements in order to continue to earn income until that time. My warrantyis a 3 year on the Green Bean Refurbished Battery. Upon additional researchI could have utilized the Affrim oaymebt plan to purchase at Green Tech Auto but the price comparable battery was for non high capacity cells, where Green Bean states theirs are all High Capacity, time will tell!. I will post a follow up once the install is completed. Again, I appreciate the time taken to respond to my question.

bisco and Danno5060 like this.