1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Without Warning - Would not start

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Rae Vynn, Nov 14, 2011.

1. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This morning, it happened to us...

Just replaced the 12v in February, and this morning, the car didn't even blink at us... just dead. We double-checked all the doors, interior lights, and there was no discernible reason for it to be dead.

Followed the jump starting instructions, and now my plan for the day is to let it idle until I can get it in to the Toyota dealer where we bought the new battery, and get it swapped out (under warranty).
    DH noticed a bit of liquid in the bottom of the battery compartment when he was checking for loose connectors, but no sign of corrosion, either.

DH had the battery charger set at the minimum, 2 amp setting, and it took just a few seconds before it started. It's running now...

2. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Ack!!! Mondays suck. If you have a voltmeter, check the resistance from the battery negative post to a random bolt in the back, to make sure that the ground is good.

3. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    But only if the car is off and not running accessories. Otherwise there could be a voltage drop on the ground cable.

The preferred method is to first measure the DC voltage from the battery post to the chassis. If the voltage is zero, then measure the resistance.

Tom

4. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I had the stock battery in our former Nissan Cube completely fail at 14 months. The dealer experience got worse from there but I'll spare you the details.

Nice that your divorced husband will still help you out. :D

5. Rae Vynn

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    DH had already jumped the car, and I was not going to turn it off - for any reason - until I got it to the dealer.

It is at the dealer, and they are checking the charging circuitry... the battery is still under warranty.

I should know more later, and I'll let you all know what happened.

It was weird, though. The doors wouldn't unlock with the fob, there was a "faint, quick flash" when DH tried to start it, and then absolutely nothing.

Oh, and there was a little bit of liquid in the battery compartment. I mentioned that, too. It may just be condensation or splash in the vent, or it could be a defective battery (didn't smell like acid/leakage, but I could be wrong). It may be a bad battery. It might be circuitry issues. It was not a light left on or a door left ajar - we double-checked that carefully (first thing I thought of).

The car ran fine on Saturday - didn't use the car on Sunday at all... never even opened the car door - and then dead this morning. *sigh*

Monday hates me, apparently.

6. Rae Vynn

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Okay, got a call from the mechanic.

They can't find anything wrong.

Time to help out, smart people... what should they be looking for that they aren't? He said the battery checks out okay, the charging circuitry is fine, and they can't find anything that is drawing power. You've got until 4pm PT.

Thanks!

7. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Don't you hate it when the car doesn't warn you it is not going to start? Toyota really should do something about that! ;) j/k

There is a guy on an island off of Africa that can't get his (2000) started either. Apparently the HV battery checks out OK and the 12v but still won't start.

These are the type of problems that worry me as a hybrid owner.

8. tv4fish

tv4fish Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Sounds to me like a "bad connection" somewhere -- did they check for any that might be loose and then just making intermittent conductivity?

9. Rae Vynn

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    He said that they were checking all connections. And, they will check them again.

When we pick it up, I'll mention again the moisture, and the connections...

10. Rokeby

Rokeby Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Mistress Rae Vinn,

There is always the chance that the tech did not fully charge your new
    battery back in Feb. And the poor little thing has been carrying a lower
    charge than is best for these last months.

By any chance have you done any random voltage checks after the car
    has sat overnight?

I'm still on the original 12V battery after just under 4 years. I do
    occasional voltage checks with my ScanGuage in the AM before I start
    the car. I'm seeing 12.3-12.4V. A few points lower than when the
    car/battery were new.

As the weather cools, if I see ~12.0 it will be time to think about
    getting a new one. (It'll be one of the new "pencil post" Yellow Tops.)

11. Rae Vynn

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It is possible.

They couldn't find a thing. So, I'll do a battery test on it, once or twice, just randomly, and if it isn't holding a charge, we too will go with an Optima Yellow top...

12. Rokeby

Rokeby Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    We don't know how the tech accessed the 12V bus. The easiest way would
    be via the contact under the hood.

There is a possibility that the 12V lead from the battery to the body is
    loose or, given the atmospheric dampness where you are, corroded.
    Getting to it involves taking out the hatch area floor and tray beneath.
    You should consider doing the work yourself and check the bolt for
    tightness and corrosion as well.

13. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Dealerships are notorious for saying your 12v battery is fine despite a low voltage reading with no load. As new as your battery is I would expect nothing less than a 12.6v reading after a full recharge (2 amp charging rate) and the car has sat overnight. Test it with no load. Call me if you need help. :)

1 person likes this.
  14. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That happened to me once. The negative ground (from the battery) is located on the body panel below the running light bulb access panel. Mine was loose and causing all kinds of weird behavior. Not starting was one of the problems. :)

15. Hal W

Hal W New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Sounds like a bad connection. They probably corrected the problem so don't get hasty and purchase a yellow top yet! Your battery was probably OK? Hal

16. Simtronic

Simtronic Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius PHV
    Model:
    Business Ed. Plus
    Hi I had similar problems with odd codes but it always started, I found moisture runs in through the back lights down the side of the hatch, I live in the UK's damp climate. The battery on some nights would loose some charge. I changed my battery at that point (optima yelllowtop) and sealed up the point of moisture ingress, touch wood I have never had a problem since and that was 3 years ago. The added bonus was a reduction in windows being misted at the back of the car.

17. sipnfuel

sipnfuel New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Did you jump the car from the hood or from the hatch?

18. ahmeow

ahmeow Prius Lover

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yes Sir, you are right. Change to a yellow top 12V will prevent all weird mishap in the future. Even you left an open door, light inside will still get enough juice to start the baby in the morning. Yellow Top is designed for heavr draw.

Rae, make up your mind to change to a right battery. The Fty. stupid battery is a design fault, or say a bad design. You will have no regret for the Yellow top.:)

19. Rae Vynn

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Jumped from under the hood... after checking the battery cables in the back to make sure they weren't loose/corroded.

If it EVER gives me grief again, it will be replaced with an Optima. OEM battery, however, did last 4 years with no issues. It was getting a little weak when we changed it out.

20. Rae Vynn

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Update:

After doing a diagnostic on the new OEM battery, we've determined it is crap. *sigh*

We ordered/got the new Optima Yellow top pencil post battery, and last night DH - in an amazing show of staunch determination in the face of nearly freezing temperatures, bravery in the face of THREE broken fingernails, and the dark - swapped batteries.

We fully expect our MPG to improve, as well as never being left stranded by an unresponsive Prius again... well, at least for several years, anyway.