1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Wizards and Mortals -- ethical behavior

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by bwilson4web, Oct 30, 2009.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Since October 2005, I've been or seen in a number of discussions with folks of variable skill levels. Sad to say, a few of them have 'gone badly' in ways that usually trace back to how people deal with each other on the Internet. Now I'm not "Miss Manners" and because I'm Southern, I know fightin' words but I also realize there are cultural differences that a little courtesy, common or otherwise, could help. So here are a few suggestions:

• MORTALS - please realize the WIZARDS are here voluntarily and often taking time from other pursuits. Please be patient and rather than point out "you forgot ..." just cut-and-paste some comment that may have been missed. WIZARDS are allowed to forget stuff too and though we may seem like it, we are acutely aware that we are less than omniscient ... but we're working on it.
    • WIZARDS - the MORTALS are often frustrated and tired and may not understand the reasons for asking for more data. Be patient and if more data is needed, try to explain why it is needed or even the limits of knowledge. Patience is a virtue and with a little encouragement and mentoring, today's MORTALS will be tomorrow's WIZARDS.
    There are plenty of ways to make a conversation go badly and it would take more time than remains to eternity to list them all. But a big part of getting along is humility and dealing with folks fairly and patiently. Just assume everyone on the other end is a small family member, a loved one, and conversations and exchanges tend to go much better.

Bob Wilson

2 people like this.
  2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Also remember that 'body language', and 'tone of voice', like 'irony', and 'sarcasm' are all hard to replicate in print. So conversations often go wrong when both sides think they are innocent. "Be excellent to each other" -Bill Preston

3. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    [​IMG]