1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Wobbling while accelerating

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by MrDan, Jul 10, 2024.

1. MrDan

MrDan New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    At low speeds when I accelerate my car feels like I'm being tipped from side to side like I'm on a boat . It's actually very noticeable. When I rise to higher speeds I don't feel any wobbling and some shaking but the shaking isn't too bad. I'm thinking it might be a bent wheel or my suspension. I was planning to change my rotors and brakes this weekend and I can hear a little squeaking at low speeds when my tires are rolling in a specific part of the rotor, i want to clarify that this squeaking does not when I brake it's just when I'm rolling, not pushing the gas. It anything the squeaking stops when I push the brakes. Any advise would help I really don't wanna pay a mechanic to diagnose it. I got techstream but as far as I know it doesn't tell you any brakes or suspension diagnosis. Plz help thanks
    I'm very mechanicly capable I've changed my fuel pump and battery but this is a different issue that I don't know how to diagnose . Thanks again

2. MrDan

MrDan New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Also i was going to add I probably need an alignment but I wanted to rule out bad suspension or wheels or rotors before I go and get one it kind of defeats the purpose , and wanted to ask if at the alignment or wheel shop can they tell me if my wheel is bent?

3. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Usually that's a good time to get an alignment if the car needs it you've been through a couple tire changes maybe and everything seems to be straight and steering straight so you don't get an alignment of time or two now you're having this issue for that $80 alignment you're getting somebody's eyes on the car that knows how to look for this kind of silly nonsense so you getting that for the same price as your alignment generally speaking I don't let people align my car that are generally under 45 That's a personal issue but seems to work well for me that other set of eyes very often we'll see what you're not seeing or can't for whatever reason and then that's that so you can look at it as your alignment cost $40 and the diagnosis of your front end was $40 or something like that so it's not so bad on your wallet or your mind whichever is working me overtime You mentioned quite a few things here so you know if your rotors are contacting the pads when you're rolling slowly through a parking lot not touching any pedals well that may be something you want to handle I don't know mileages or anything can't see the car from here so. It's probably overdue that may help you out quite a bit and it needs to be done anyway so you're not wasting any money per se

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk EGR Fanatic

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    With a previous car we had, an 06 civic hybrid with rear drum brakes, and after dealer did a brake fluid replacement, I noticed a side-to-side wobble, during braking, just as the car came to a stop.

I raised the rear, had wife apply/release brakes while I tried spinning the wheels, and found no braking happening on one side.

Your symptom is during acceleration, but similar, might be a clue.

5. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Rotate the front tires to the back, if
    The wobble action goes to the back then it’s one of the tires.

MrDan likes this.