1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Woman Ticketed For Political Bumper Stickers

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by VinceDee, Oct 27, 2006.

1. VinceDee

VinceDee Member

I hope I'm not the only one that thinks this is asinine:

Woman Ticketed For Political Bumper Stickers

OVERLAND PARK, Kan. -- A Kansas woman said she was ticketed for having political bumper stickers on her car.

[​IMG]

On Wednesday, Sara Keiser was cited in connection with campaigning illegally because she parked her car at Metcalf South Mall, which is a polling place during elections.

The law states that no one can campaign within 250 feet of a polling place.

Keiser said she wasn't at the mall to vote or to campaign. She was there to go to work.

"I work here. My office is upstairs. I'm here every single day," Keiser said.

She said someone going to the mall to vote noticed her car parked out front and called police.

"They contacted all kinds of people in Kansas government about what to do. Apparently at one point, they were thinking about towing my car," Keiser said.

The car wasn't towed, but an officer wrote her a ticket.

"The officer seemed as confused as I did and a little uncomfortable," she said. "(The ticket) stated that my car is a campaign vehicle, which obviously took me aback."

She said she prefers to park close to the front doors of the mall, but now she must park around the corner and out of sight of the polling place.

Keiser didn't receive a monetary fine, but she must report to court in November.

2. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Why do I have the feeling that if the car had had one of those creepy little black oval "W the President" stickers on it, it would have been left alone?

3. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    That's just ridiculous! What a friggin' headache for the woman who got the ticket, now she must go to court next month to contest it?

4. Marlin

Marlin New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Beryl Octet @ Oct 27 2006, 01:33 PM) [snapback]339417[/snapback]</div>
    Hmmm, why do I have the feeling that if she had an anti-Democrat bumper sticker and got a ticket, it wouldn't have made it into the news?

5. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Marlin @ Oct 27 2006, 02:06 PM) [snapback]339467[/snapback]</div>
    Because you don't watch Fox "news" enough?

6. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Clearly, a political bumper sticker is not campaigning. If it were, nobody with a political bumper sticker could drive on election day. While having to park around the corner from the polling place once every two years is no big deal, to be consistent they'd have to forbid all cars with such stickers from parking within view of the polling place.

7. Marlin

Marlin New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Beryl Octet @ Oct 27 2006, 02:10 PM) [snapback]339473[/snapback]</div>
    Hmmm, so you're saying that if she had gotten a ticket for an anti-Democrat bumper sticker that I would only see it on Fox News. In a way, that was kind of my point.

8. rfred

rfred New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(VinceDee @ Oct 27 2006, 12:12 PM) [snapback]339404[/snapback]</div>
    There are times that I'm just so damn proud that I live in Kansas; in fact we live a couple of miles from the mall where Sara was ticketed.

It sounds like they need a designated area where people who are exercising their constitutional right to vote can park and that the rest of the parking areas would be available to those who just might be exercising their constitutional right of free speech.

I'm pretty sure that the "Bush-Cheney" and "W in '04" stickers wouldn't get a second look because Kansas is one of the states that actually went for the Bush-Cheney ticket both times. Hmmm, I'm not terribly busy this weekend...

Wondering with Keith Olbermann (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15321167/) how long this republic will last.

(Sound of soapbox being kicked over)

9. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Marlin @ Oct 27 2006, 02:24 PM) [snapback]339491[/snapback]</div>
    At least it would be on TV, more than I can say about this story.