1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Women gets ticket for anti Bush bumper sticker

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by jared2, Oct 17, 2006.

1. jared2

jared2 New Member

2. Marlin

Marlin New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jared2 @ Oct 17 2006, 03:42 PM) [snapback]334074[/snapback]</div> The ticket was for the obscenity part, not the anti-Bush part of the bumper sticker. Although the slogan wouldn't have been nearly as clever, she would have gotten the same ticket if "Bush" had been replaced with "Democrat" on her bumper sticker.

Yet the knee-jerk reactionaries only see what they want to see.

3. tbstout2

tbstout2 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    What does she expect from Georgia??!! I will say that she's got more balls then I do... I'm afraid someone in my conservative town will "key" my car if they don't agree with my political candidate stickers (which come OFF my car the moment the polls close).

I live close to Quantico Marine Base. There was a story in our newspaper about a group of young Marines that bullied some poor person in a mall parking lot in to removing a John Kerry for Prez bumper sticker from his car. Nice!!

4. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

Free speech is a clever facade.

:ph34r:

5. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jared2 @ Oct 17 2006, 03:42 PM) [snapback]334074[/snapback]</div> I think the issue was the word that followed. I am not sure what it said but if it were a "curse" word there could be interesting questions raised about that.

If the NY Times would not print it on its front page - would be my quasi-parameter on this issue - as it pertains only to the wording.

Your thoughts on the Columbia University incident with the Minutemen or the Univ of Arizonia incident with Ann Coulter?

6. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    i've seen much worse anti-bush bumper stickers. i've seen much worse general bumper stickers.

when i was a kid there was a bumper sticker that said "ssdd: same s###, different day" that was all over the place in my town. then again, i'm not from georgia.

7. jared2

jared2 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Marlin @ Oct 17 2006, 03:55 PM) [snapback]334087[/snapback]</div>
    What obscenity? I quote "the state's lewd decal law that formed the basis for the ticket was ruled unconstitutional in 1990."

Gotta watch out fur dem "lewd decals", you know.

8. ditto231

ditto231 New Member

It's not the ticket or freedom of speech.

I think she's just another one of those sue happy people. She's after the MONEY...

9. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tbstout2 @ Oct 17 2006, 04:00 PM) [snapback]334095[/snapback]</div>
    I do see other profane bumper stickers down here in GA; mostly "s**t happens" stickers and pickups with that Calvin dude peeing on Ford or Chevy logos.

I think the profanity decal charge was something they used to pull her over for suspicion of something else. I don't think the fact Bush was named on the decal had anything to do with it.

I also suspect that GA police act pretty much like those in the rest of the country, even those in uppity-Northern VA.

10. Marlin

Marlin New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jared2 @ Oct 17 2006, 04:10 PM) [snapback]334104[/snapback]</div>
    Even so, that was the basis for the ticket. But for the knee-jerk reactonaries, the headline "Woman given ticket for obscene bumper sticker based on law ruled unconstitutional" is not nearly as juicy as "Woman given ticket for anti-Bush bumper sticker".

Whether or not the officer incorrectly applied the lewd decal law, unless you can cite examples where that officer ignored other obscene bumper stickers, particularly obscene anti-Democrat or pro-Bush bumper stickers, then it's a stretch to jump to the conclusion that the obscenity had nothing to do with the ticket, and that it was really the anti-Bush part that got the ticket.

11. jared2

jared2 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Marlin @ Oct 17 2006, 04:25 PM) [snapback]334127[/snapback]</div>
    Good point.

12. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Oct 17 2006, 04:07 PM) [snapback]334101[/snapback]</div>
    It seems kind of silly to have the word censored on the prisonplanet site, but I think the sticker was one of these from the description of it.

http://www.antibushbumperstickers.com/imag...redBushit-t.gif

I'd put this more in the "off color" than "obscene" category, after all, Cheney's said worse in public with no apparent legal impact.

13. VinceDee

VinceDee Member

14. dmarcus123

dmarcus123 New Member

15. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(VinceDee @ Oct 17 2006, 06:18 PM) [snapback]334208[/snapback]</div>
    I like the part there about "bushit" as a new term. Bush It. Got habeus corpus? Bush it! Got budget surplus? Bush it! One too few civil wars in the Middle East? Bush it!

16. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Beryl Octet @ Oct 17 2006, 10:28 PM) [snapback]334283[/snapback]</div>
    Faith based initiatives? Bush it! Constitutional rights? Bush it! Universal health care? Bush it! Hey this is fun! Homeland security? Bush it! Party of values? Bush it!

17. koa

koa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Without reading through her story I think the cop just wanted to hassle her enough to go to court and have it dismissed. If she doesn't want to take the time for court she pays the fine.

18. geologyrox

geologyrox New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Marlin @ Oct 17 2006, 04:25 PM) [snapback]334127[/snapback]</div>
    So the titling was off, but I think it's worth mentioning that this bumper sticker was NOT obscene. I included the legal definition of obscene below - you'd think an officer would at least know the basic idea, and be well aware that profanity just doesn't fit the bill. I'd be interested to know if this was the first ticket he's ever written for bumper stickers with profanity on them, or if he's been enforcing the unconstitutional law for the last fifteen years. I'm constantly frightened by the ignorance in the general population, but ignorant law enforcement officers is a step scarier.

Legal definition of obscene, translated (perhaps improperly, point out errors as needed):

A work is considered obscene only if all three conditions are satisfied:
    1) If the average person would find the piece of 'art' as sick or morbid when taken as a whole
    2) If the work offensively depicts sexual or excretory functions
    3) If the work as a whole lacks serious literary, artistic, political, or scientific value.

It's obvious the bumper sticker completely fails the SLAPS test - is it really possible that the officer had never heard any of this?

19. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

Arrogance and abuse of power is not religated to inside the beltway.

20. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    If they do not routinely ticket people for the common "s**t Happens" bumper stickers, then it's pretty clear that ticketing a woman for "I'm tired of all the Bushit" was a political ticket.

There was a wonderful bumper sitcker on a car that frequently parked near my apartment in Fargo. I never saw who it belonged to. It said merely:

FUGB

Nothing more. It expressed the idea without anybody being able to accuse the person of obscenity, though it clearly was obscene.

HA HA! I just did a "preview post" and I see that PC has inserted asterisks above, where I spelled out the word in full.

P.S. This reminds me of the time I wrote a profile for a dating site, and it would not allow me to include Moby Dick in my list of favorite books.