1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Wonder if I made poor choice buying 2010 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Nam32b, Feb 24, 2010.

1. Nam32b

Nam32b Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I believe I am suffering from something I thought I would never experience ....Buyers Remorse ......after months of research we selected the 2010 Prius thinking that we did the right thing ...now we are unsure.....plus missing out on the proposed $1500.00 rebate and Extended Warrenty free.....feel like we have been hood-winked....:eek:

2. priusmiselus

priusmiselus New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry to hear that, how much did you pay for it, may I ask?

3. Nam32b

Nam32b Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    $29,127 .......Prius V

4. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    When did you purchase Prius?

5. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I guess if I had purchased and then was forced to endure the media blitz of negativity that has unfolded along with the recall I'd be "unsure" as well. Everyone has a right to their own feelings. But outside of the software update, has the car changed? It's still the same Prius you thought you wanted. My advice is don't let the media cloud your judgement or hamper your enjoyment of your automobile. At least wait until this dies down...and I think eventually it will, and then see how you feel. Plus at this point, it's my understanding that Toyota is considering incentives and rebates and extending the warranty, but as of yet the warranty hasn't been extended and there is no $1,500 dollar rebate. And to an extent that is the risk with any car purchase. Market conditions change. That's why it's important to be as sure you like the car you are purchasing before you purchase. If you like your Prius then a lot of what is happening becomes inmaterial. If you don't like it, then nothing is written in stone. Despite competitors offering bonuses for Toyota trade in's, I think it's a poor time to trade in a newer Toyota. But if you really are feeling bad there is always that option.

6. New_Yorker

New_Yorker New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I bought a V with ATP and love the car. I had a 2007 for 3 years that I sold to a relative, who loves the car. I will probably keep this 2010 Prius till the car rusts apart in 20 years. Second Thoughts, like what better car could I have bought ? There isn't one ! I have no regrets and suggest that the negative media hype is mostly just that. When GM makes cars this troublesome, they BRAG about it !
    Toyota still builds the best quality. And it may interest you to know that on the day I picked up my 2010, the other Prius being delivered by the dealer that afternoon was to a man trading in his "Ultimate Driving Machine" for it. I suggest you avoid buying all the media hype.

1 person likes this.
  7. Nam32b

Nam32b Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The Prius is a proven vehicle ........we enjoy driving it and are proud to own it....it's track record speaks for itself ......just had a little doubt .......

8. Nam32b

Nam32b Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    thank you .......my brother has a 2006 prius ......and stands by it.....

9. Erikon

Erikon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Try and not let the current media and political hammering ruin your feelings about the Prius! It's the same great car now that it was the day you first drove it home. Sure, better deals on it are much more prevalent now than a few weeks ago, but that's the way it goes sometimes! The brake issue with the Prius III has been resolved with a software update, so drive and be happy... and hit the mute button when the talking heads start frothing!

10. robbyr2

robbyr2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    No decision is perfect. No car is perfect. No car manufacturer is perfect. You will find that the Prius has some of the features Toyota is expanding to other models to make them safer.

Beware of media hype and politicians fudging facts (like asserting this morning that 39 deaths have been proven in Toyotas vs. 27 for the exploding Pinto). To date, no court of law has made a finding. Even if they do, it's not likely to involve a Prius.

As I've said before, this isn't good for re-sale values, but I'm more likely to buy another Toyota (or other car) before they take away my Prius!

11. GoSkins

GoSkins Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Well, I already think it was a good buy, since I got mine during CFC, plus dealer discount. I've already saved a bunch of money on gas. I also think Toyota is going to be sending some "sorry, let us make it up to you" gifts. Maybe extended warranties, 10K oil changes or discounts on next car?

12. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Never look back, there is never a perfect decision.

13. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Having sailed through a perfect storm of doubt myself, I'd say doubt is alright. But just make sure that decisions are made from a perspective of reality.

Right now, most of the media is NOT reality in any way, shape or form.

14. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Buyer's remorse can be a cousin of post-excitement let-down. A child gets all excited about Christmas or a birthday, but once the presents are opened, and have not changed his life, there is disappointment. A person plans a big vacation for a year, and everything goes well and he has a great time, but then he has to go home and normal life resumes, and a touch of depression is normal. You spend a lot of time researching a big purchase, and you are all excited about it, and maybe you go into debt for it, and then in the end, it may be a great car but it's still just a car and you wonder if you should have kept the old car and not spent the money. Buyer's remorse.

If you spent more money than you could really afford, then it was a bad decision. (I'm against going into debt to buy a new car. If you must go into debt to buy a car because you need transportation, it should be the most economical car that can do the job.)

But rest assured that you have the second-best car on the road. (I drive the best car: a Zap Xebra. :D ) And all the media hype is mostly sensationalism. Toyota will fix whatever might be wrong, and as far as the possibility of discounts and rebates had you waited, that can be summed up by the old saying: If shoulds and buts were beers and nuts we'd have a hell of a party. You can never know how markets and prices can change, so there's no point feeling bad about unfortunate timing. Think of the folks who buy a new computer, and the very next day a newer model comes out, bigger, faster, and cheaper.

I hope the remorse fades away and you enjoy your car.

15. ksstathead

ksstathead Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Tried to buy the gen2 Prius several times, but seemed to always get caught by gas price spikes and dealer wouldn't budge on price. That cost me a lot of fuel. Finally got the 2010 in mid December. Doubts? Yes. I doubt I'll bother with the brake recall. I doubt I'll hesitate buying another one if they get much cheaper. That's about it. :)

16. creativeguy

creativeguy Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Once gas hits $5 again, people will want to buy your Prius even if it has no brakes at all!

17. samsprius1

samsprius1 HEV Fanatic

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    wisha,should have,could have!! I've done it many times.I don't even watch the news on tv anymore!! Hey you got a PKG V I think its the best car for the money:nod:

18. Sealawyer

Sealawyer New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The only regret I have is that I couldn't wait to take advantage of some possible price reductions.

Sadly, I was forced to replace my 2005 Prius due to an accident which totaled it back in October, but I have no regrets getting the 2010.

In fact, quite possibly had I been able to wait a bit longer, I may not have acquired the Model V w/ATP, and I honestly think that would have been a decision I would regret.

So, I figure these things happen for a reason. :)

19. PriusLewis

PriusLewis Management Scientist

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    With the brake issues, I guess that's safer than standing in front of it :D

Sorry, couldn't resist. :p

20. Mailmandolin

Mailmandolin Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I bought a Toyota Corolla in 1974. I got a bigger car when I found it strained my back to put our newborn girl in the back seat. The Toyota was my honeymoon car. Now in my 30th year of marriage, we got a 2010 Toyota Prius. (I don't think I will have a newborn in the back, if I do , there will be room.) I think you made a good choice. Don't worry about the congress. They lie as much as a car salesman.