1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Wondering about warranty on HV Battery

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by AntonioC, Feb 15, 2016.

1. AntonioC

AntonioC New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Hi all I've been reading on several threads that the HV battery carries a fairly lengthy warranty at least in the United States. I am from Barbados and here the dealer is only offering three years on the HV Battery is this normal. I kind of figured that the warranty was honored worldwide by Toyota HQ for the same amount of years or miles. They do offer warranty for 100,000km but that is within a 3yr time period. In three years the average person here probably does less than 40, 000. So if anything happens outside of three years you're in a bad position. Is there anywhere that this warranty can be queried because it sounds dubious.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome! who knows? minimum warranty is set by the local controlling authorities. toyota and any mfg has power to increase it for marketing reasons if necessary.
    we have 2 different in u.s., 8/100 or 10/150. canada is different, as is europe.
    just be sure your dealer is correct by calling toyota, or looking in your warranty manual.

3. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd be clueless for Barbados-specific policy but you know we expect typically about 8 years min, life. Hotter areas can see some greater incidence of batt fails, but typically not much less than 8 years life. Are you seeing an issue for your vehicle?

4. AntonioC

AntonioC New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    I had the check hybrid system warning show up few week ago. Took it to the dealer and they told me the battery had a fault and that it needed to be replaced. I took the vehicle to another shop that works with electric vehicles and hybrid vehicles and was assured that the hv battery is still in good condition. Now though it seem as though the ICE is running a a little longer than usual and even when the HV battery is fully charged or around 4 bars.

5. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    how many miles on it? Are we talking taxi service which seems harder?

6. AntonioC

AntonioC New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    No it's not taxi service, it is second hand though it had 96,000 km when the message showed up

7. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Lots threads here to read. We would need to know codes. Always check 12v battery first if bad that can throw codes. Make sure 12v is strong. Then maybe give car a little warm up time upon start if you think you need to baby the HV battery. There is always the battery reconditioner sold here but I know how hard it is to get this stuff where you are.

8. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    "My history with Toyota goes back to a day in 1967, when Mr. Urumo of TTK Ltd. visited the Emtage Electrical Co. Ltd., River Road and, at the door of my office, was telling me that he intended to see three companies in connection with offering the Toyota dealership.

Without formal discussion, I told him that I would accept on the spot, but would not be interested in further talks if he pursued his intention of visiting other firms.

Without hesitation, and before I had offered him a seat, he bowed formally, I shook his hand, and one of the best deals of my life had been made."

Mr. Charles Emtage - Former Chairman of Nassco. Nassco Limited - Company

It sounds as if Nassco is the exclusive dealership for Barbados and the only entity offering you a warranty.

9. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    As with everyone else, I'm not sure about Toyota's warranty outside of the USA.
    And just to clarify, so we are not comparing Apples to Aged Oranges, there is a difference between the warranty on the Hybrid Battery when you buy the vehicle new, and the warranty on a "replacement" OEM new battery.

The warranty on a replacement HV battery is disappointingly much less than what is offered when you get the vehicle new.

If you're talking replacement HV- 3 years is probably accurate.
    Even in the US it use to only be 1 year, then I heard rumors Toyota was going to extend it.

So my "guess" is that the 3 years, 100,000 is probably accurate.

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    4 bars is fully charged? how are your mpg's, or litre's per km?

11. AntonioC

AntonioC New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Yea Nassco is the exclusive dealership unfortunately, I asked what code the computer threw and the only answer I was given is hybrid battery faulty. I'll go and get the 12v

12. AntonioC

AntonioC New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    The warranty on the original battery HV Battery is only three years not a replacement.

13. AntonioC

AntonioC New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Currently I am getting 4.4l/100km which is roughly around 53mpg per tank, the HV Battery charges to full occasionally and discharges all the way down to one bar also at times but it doesn't stay there too long at all probably less than 1min. It's just the check hybrid system message that it threw and I found that the engine wasn't shutting off at all just before it threw the message.

bisco likes this.
  14. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    We have not had many 2010's battery fails yet in the USA at all. Maybe a few at higher miles. This case would be unusual for USA.

15. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If that's the case it must be different in different locations.

In the US, it's 8 years-100,000 miles or 10 years-150,000 miles depending on whether you are purchased and registered in what is designated as a CARB state or not.

I think in the US, a warranty that didn't cover at least the length of the average car loan wouldn't fly.
    The HV batteries have proven to be pretty reliable. Very few stories of failures BEFORE 8 years-100.000
    I'm very surprised IF Toyota doesn't back them similarly as a world wide policy. If I was committing to the investment into a brand new Prius, I'd want more than 3 years coverage on the HV battery. And since usually they are so reliable, I would think Toyota could offer this world wide, without fear of it really costing them much. Failure before 8 years-100.000 is a pretty rare occurrence.

16. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    In the USA, the HV battery warranty varies by state. In California, it is 160,000 miles or 10 years. The car comes with a Warranty book which states the warranty coverage for various systems on the car. Did your car come with a warranty book or statement of warranty coverage?