1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Won't charge at all! Bought a used 2013 plug in

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by Lorfour, Dec 4, 2016.

1. Lorfour

Lorfour New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    I just purchased my first Prius, which is a 2013 Plug-In. Was excited to charge it and get those 11mi but it won't hold anything. At a charging station, it says the charge is complete/car stopped the charging process. On a Toyota cable at home, the charge light comes on for <30sec then shuts off. It only has 36K miles. Couldn't test the charger at the dealership bc they are sending a cable to us (They sold it as a Plug in and I hadn't heard of these cars not being able to hold a charge after a few years). I was so pumped, I hope this doesn't turn into a fiasco.

Anyone run into this? It's not the timer. I think this should be covered under the warranty, but very anxious about it.

#1 Lorfour, Dec 4, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2016
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    no message on the screen? what is the battery icon showing? do you have the hvac off?

what dod you mean, 'couldn't test the charger at the dealer because they are sending a cable to us'?

3. drysider

drysider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    It sounds like the battery has a full charge already. Like bisco says, what does the battery icon show? You say they sold it as a plug-in...is there some doubt?

4. jfschultz

jfschultz Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    What does the MFD screen say when you start the car?

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    where did the o/p go?(n)

6. faulty0wiring

faulty0wiring New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Can I hijack this thread since the op bailed and I am having the exact same problem with a 2012 plug-in?

7. faulty0wiring

faulty0wiring New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    As I attempt to enter EV mode the display indicates that my battery is too low. So I took the vehicle to two charging stations both of which started to charge the vehicle and stopped after about 5 seconds indicating that the vehicle was either charged or paused the charge. I then attempted to use the oem charging cable with a 110v plug. About 10 seconds after plugging the vehicle in the charging indicator light near the charging port shuts off and the the circuit disruptor trips. I performed a test on the circuit disruptor and the indicator light is displaying as it should for a functional unit. I also checked the voltage of the 12v battery via the diagnostics screen and the battery is functioning at 12.4v while in acc mode. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!
    have you run through the timer to make sure no start or stop times are set?

jerrymildred and Pluggo like this.
  9. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Welcome @faulty0wiring. I hope you get a lot of great miles from your PiP.

I'm 99.999% sure @bisco nailed it. The description of the charging light coming on for a few seconds and then going off is the giveaway. It wasn't actually charging; it was communicating with the EVSE cable.

Look for a blinking green light toward the right end of the HSI display (the top display, not the MFD). If it's blinking, push the timer button once to turn it off. If the car is plugged in, it will start charging in a second or two. That's all in the manual. It's page 87 in my manual.
    Screen Shot 2018-11-12 at 1.30.06 PM.png