1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

won't go into drive or reverse; atlanta mechanic?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by KerryL, Nov 6, 2007.

1. KerryL

KerryL New Member

Hello Everyone,

I started my 2004 prius this AM and it wouldn't go into drive or reverse; only neutral. I tried a few times, starting, turning off, restarting- all same thing. Engine and other lights on dashboard lit up. On about the 3rd try my car started and I drove to work- wondering if in a sleepy haze I hadn't had the brake on to start with. Once at work I turned the car off and then tried to restart- once with my foot off the brake to replicate the problem (which I did). Then I restarted the car with my brake on and, to my great dismay, still no drive or reverse....

I saw where someone else had this problem when the temperature went below zero; but temps only dropped to ~ 50 last night in Atlanta. Has anyone else experienced this? Have an idea what's going on? Can anyone recommend a good mechanic in Atlanta?

THanks,
    Kerry

2. fairclge

fairclge Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius

3. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Put your foot on the brake before you turn the car on and try again.

4. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Did you ever have the brake light switch recall done on that car?
    _H*

5. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

If caught in that position again, consider shifting into PARK first, then into gear.