1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Won't Go Into Park Sometimes

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by qmanqman, Dec 8, 2023.

1. qmanqman

qmanqman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Looking at purchasing a 2007. The owner says it sometimes don't go into "Park" and the issue is resolved by backing up and moving forward and then put into park.

I've never heard of this and can't find anything on it in this forum.

Is this a thing with these cars?

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I don't think so Not necessarily with these cars but it sounds like the parking pawl which is electronically controlled in this setup is not dropping down into place or something along those lines I guess it could be hanging up it's a switch I think that moves something to basically do just what a parking Pawl does. In a regular automatic car. The question is is when you push the button to put it in park if you're standing outside the car do you hear the solenoid click like something's closing or dropping clink? I don't know what's involved in replacing it whether the transmission has to come out or it can be done with the car assembled not real sure I'm sure it's here in the forms somewhere.

3. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sometimes people hanging PPE masks on the shifter have had these symptoms. Sometimes the springs in the shifter will fail. Sometimes it's the park button. Hopefully you just swap out the shifter or the button and problem solved. Of course beware that a failed hybrid system will sometimes lock the car in neutral with lots of warning lights and it's important to make sure that's NOT part of the problem.

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The power to the motor that puts the transmission into Park follows a path inside the underhood fuse box that seems to sometimes get flaky in Gen 2.

If you do some searching with combinations of "park", "fuse box", "blue wire", I think you'll land on some of the threads that talk about it.

PriusCamper likes this.
  5. qmanqman

qmanqman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    One
    OK thanks. I did finally find some threads for the Gen 3 and they were dead/weak 12V battery related.

Bought it for $2500 with 153,000 miles on it.

Issues:

1. Clear has pealed off the hood not covered by the rock protector and other places (no biggie to me)
    2. When you hit the start button the dash lights don't come on most of the time. This happens on my daughter's 2007 but rarely. It's mostly on this car. Is the fix for it the two capacitors in the dash?
    3. Ratty cloth on the center console
    4. Fender scrapes and cracks.

Owner was very, very sure to make sure I knew what I was getting myself into. Car seems to run great. Couldn't pass up the price.

6. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    12volt battery being dead/weak is likely the cause of #2 on your list.