1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Won't go into park

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Robert Zoller, Jun 28, 2019.

1. Robert Zoller

Robert Zoller New Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I just came home from a long drive and parked my vehicle as I have since I bought it in 2007.
    This time the big red triangle appeared and the main screen warned me that the vehicle would not shift into park and that I should set my parking brake.

No other indications of anything being wrong.

I took the car out and drove a mile or two and it shifted perfectly, but when I tried to put it into park, it gave me the same warning.

Love my Prius, original owner with 206,000 miles. Replaced the hybrid battery last year and would like to keep it running for years to come.

Thank you

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    When was the 12V battery last replaced?

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!
    there will be trouble codes. if you want to diy, you need tech stream

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    In-and-out-of-Park is the only shifting it ever does, so driving it around doesn't test any of that.

When the codes are read, there should be some from the transmission control ECU and they might indicate an issue with the parking actuator or linkage; as bisco suggested, the best way forward is to get those codes and see what they say.