1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Won't start, error light, etc...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by edrum, Dec 9, 2004.

1. edrum

edrum New Member

I've noticed on occasion that my 04 won't start. What happens is that I get in, press the brake and hit the start button. The light in the button comes on but doesn't go out. The car won't do anything. I try to hit the button again but the car is just stuck in the mode. Won't start, won't stop. After about a minute the car eventual will turn off. Then it starts normally. I asked the service dept. about it last time I had the oil changed and the prius tech said it was something that happens sometimes. I've found the way to avoid it is to be sure I have the brake pressed, then press the start button for about a second and release it. I haven't seen the problem since. Has anyone else had this problem?

Also in the last couple of days, I've noticed the maintenance light flash longer than normal on startup. It flashes until the ICE starts. what is causing this? Is it an indicator of the need of some type of maintenance such as an oil change? If so, how do I reset it? The oil was changed about 1000 miles ago.

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    1)I found that sometimes I would inadvertently 'double tap' the Start button which will definately put it into a weird condition where it won't start properly. You may have been doing the same, or not quite depressing the brake enough, or a combination of the two. I think your solution is good mostly b/c it forces you to press firmly and not accidently mash it twice.

2)Before start up, press and hold the ODO button, then Power up to ready (Ig On may work too, but just power up to Ready to be sure). That'll reset your maintainence for 5000 miles... be sure to remember to do your maintainence 5000 miles from you last service.

3. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Clarification: The maintenance light is telling you that you are due for the next 5K maintenance. It clocks 5K from when it was last reset.

I have had the Stuck-On-IG-On problem also. Happens to me about once a month. There is a KB thread on this. I mentioned in that thread, the last time it happened to me, I had intentionally took things slow; Hold brake, wait one second, hit power, wait one second, select drive, Woops, stuck.

I tried holding the power button for 4 seconds, which is the emergency shutdown proceedure, but no. Hitting power twice shut it down, and it powered up normally.

4. jamarimutt

jamarimutt New Member

My suggestions are: 1. Make sure that the driver's door is fully closed. 2. Press the brake and then press Power, but press Power for half a second or so, don't just hit it real quick.

5. edrum

edrum New Member

When it happens, I've tried several things to shut the car down. I've tried holding the power button for about ten seconds (works on a PC) Hitting the button several times in order, or even just pressing and releasing the button. Eventually I can get it restarted. I just haven't come up with a procedure that works every time.

What maintenance is that indiactor light referring to? I'm assuming it's the oil and filter change. Is that true? I've had that done at the Toyota dealer twice since I've gotten the car. They must have forgotten to reset that indicator last time.

6. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

It happended to me AGAIN Friday. I have found pressing the button 4 seconds, then pressing twice without pressing the brake seems to shut it down. Holding the power button down 4 secconds doesn't seem necessary, but not pressing the brake seems important though to get out of it. I still haven't worked the habit of pressing for half seccond, so I may have pressed too quickly which contributed to the lockup. I am suspecting the brake switch problem to be the culprit, but this is pure speculation.

Yes, the maintenance light is to inform you of your next 5K maintenance being up. It blinks 4.5K from its last reset, and becomes steady at 5K from last reset.