1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

woo! first tank

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by eliteconcept, Sep 7, 2010.

1. eliteconcept

eliteconcept 700 mile club, top tank mpg 69.5

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Just finished the first tank in my 2010 II. Actually got some good news at the gas pump today.

550 miles (only about 15 on it when i picked it up)
    9.54 US gallons put into tank
    54.7 MPG reported on the panel in the car
    57.5 calculated by hand

I was a very suprised because after reading I figured that the MPG reported by the prius would be 2 or 3 mpg higher than what I would actually calculate.

I know the first tank is always suspect, but on our 2010 scion xb we went up each tank after buying that, so our driving habits seem to be consistent and predictable. I knew that this car would be great on gas but i'm stoked that its this awesome...

2. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    :welcome: Good to see you here!

I'd suggest doing an average over three tanks, not counting the first one, but sounds like you are familiar with that concept already.

3. eliteconcept

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    yep i've been keeping an average of mpg, gas prices, and miles over the past 4 years....as well as station - to see if there is any relation between gas and mpg from specfic stations :)
    I was just actually excited to get gas yesterday to see what I actually got

4. Paul58

Paul58 Mileage Miser

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'll probably have my first fill up later this week! Gauge shows 4 bars and an average of 56 mpg... Will be interesting to see what the manual calculation will show...

5. pakitt

pakitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Welcome! and enjoy!
    You will see that (unless they changed the software lately) the Prius will give you a 5-6% overestimation on fuel consumption (like all cars out there...). And don't worry if you get sometimes a "bad" tank - there are several factors affecting FE over a tank (temperature, weather, driving style, roads, tire pressure, AC usage, accessory usage, etc.).

Favour: could you please tell us what is your FM reception/reproduction of signal on your Radio? there is a long thread about this here and I would like to understand if new Priuses stopped having this issue. If you have a Navi likely your reception/reproduction is fine. Non Navi stock radios have all sorts of noises, bad reception, etc...

6. eliteconcept

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    non-navi radio. I plugged my ipod in day 1 and never looked back but i'll test it out to see what it sounds like.

7. pakitt

pakitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Please do and let us know. And mark down the number in small letters written on the radio on the top left of the display (if I remember correctly). I want to see if there is any correlation or there are several different CD/radio stock models.