1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Wood Dash Kits

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by melburstein, Jul 29, 2004.

1. melburstein

melburstein Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    On various web sites, B&I shows a simulated wood grain kit for the 2001-2004 Prius. I ordered one through an installer who said he could get it in one week. When they received it in, after three weeks, it appears that it may fit a Prius prior to 2004 but not the 2004. Yet B&I continues to show the WD395 as being for the 2001-2004 Prius. Has anyone else had experience with the B&I wood dash kit?

Has anyone been sucessful with a wood dash kit for the 2004 Prius? Tell me about it.

2. melburstein

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Hi Everybody,

After the bad experience that I related above, I contacted Superior Dash (www.superiordash.com) who does make a wook grain kit for the 2004 Prius. The installation is very simple, although I paid a professional installer to do it. It only took 30 minutes. It looks GREAT! I highly recommend Superior Dash. The cost of the kit itself was just under $300.

Mel

3. randalla

randalla Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Post some pics so those interested can see the final outcome.

4. melburstein

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The pictures at www.superiordash.com are better than anything I could post, especially if you click on them to see an enlarged view. I also have a dash mat on my car and it slightly covers parts of the wood dash. So the web site pictures are better.

Mel

5. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    What does this ad to the car? Asthetic only?

At the risk of being a troll - I'm curious why people would buy an environmentally friendly car and then turn around and put leather and wood in it.

6. Smooth Operator

I'll bite on this one.

Why would people buy an environmentally friendly car and:

1. Drink beer. Think of the environmental footprint associated with growing the barley and hops, the use of large quantities of water, the disposal of the yeast residues, transportation, etc.

2. Buy compact discs in it when they could listen to the radio

3. Use computers that become obsolete quickly and add to both the physical waste and chemical waste problems

4. Smoke cannabis, much of which is grown hydroponically using chemicals and large amounts of electricity or outdoors, using who-knows-what (but I bet it isn't organics) as pesticides and fertilizers

5. Eat meat. We must all know how much small the environmental footprint is of vegetarian eating.

None of this is to say that people should or shouldn't be eating some chicken while they listen to a CD, design a website and have a toke between sips on their beer.

It is simply to observe that each of us establishes some priorities (including esthetics and environmental responsibility) and sometimes deviates from the behavior that would be consistent with one priority in order to satisfy a different priority.

7. melburstein

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Rick,

It is simulated wood.

Mel

8. InTheWASide

InTheWASide New Member

Hey Rick,

Well, I personally have no desire in the wood. I think it looks awful in the Prius, but as far as an environmentally friendly car and then adding all this stuff to it...
    What about the fact that most cars with leather and wood options also have big inefficient engines under the hood. Now we can have both. And cows (and trees in certain cases) are a LOT more renewable than the environment and excessive amount of oil.

9. Gurmail

Gurmail Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    It is fake wood and only a thin, paperlike strip that glues on.

10. aarons12

aarons12 New Member

you apparently have a choice of real or fake, and some other stuff, if all the choices are available...

i don't trust the fabric and would like something to protect some of the places where hands rest or otherwise get touched all the time

11. singpilot

singpilot Junior Member

Mel, thanks for the steer on the wood trim. It looks great, I think. I intend to order one.

There are some people in here that have an agenda (my way or the highway) and take no prisoners in promoting it as such.

Thanks again for the steer, that's what this board is REALLY about.

12. jamarimutt

jamarimutt New Member

Because they want to. They have different tastes. They have money to spend. Why do Priuses come in several colors when one color would do?

13. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the replies. Guess it all comes down to money and priorities.

14. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Hmm, that would be a consideration. I didn't even know such things existed. That burlwood might look nice in a tan interior. Perhaps there are sites that have peoples' long term "wear and tear" impressions. It looks like a way to deal with the "shiny silver reflection" 'problem' I had in the driver's side mirror/window. Of course the simulated wood is also finished in simulated high gloss urethane so it wouldn't necessarily solve the problem :)

15. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    " You can have any color car you want as long as it is black" Henry Ford. Ford kept this program up many years after the other auto makers had gone to color.

16. aarons12

aarons12 New Member

just to follow up on my post above, the wood kits only cover areas that are plastic now and so would not help with my concerns on those parts where my arms rest, etc...

i still like the kits, but we shall see. i think first of all a small, not too thick, rectangular pillow is in order for the center armrest.

17. seeh2o

seeh2o Prius OG

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    I found one that fits perfectly at a chain named Tuesday Morning.

The armrest seems a bit too low for me. I've been on several long trips in my Prius since Feb. - before and after the new pillow. The pillow makes a world of difference in comfort.

Good luck finding one!

18. springer

springer New Member

Wood Dash Kit

Hi melburstein

I am very interested in getting a wood dash kit. I looked @ the second sight you suggested, all I saw was a drawing. It would really be helpful if you could shoot a picture of you dash with a digital camera and post it. I'm reticent to order something without seeing a real installation. Thanks for you information

Springer

19. Kacey Green

Kacey Green Member

I too only sw the drawinds, then I saw further down the hompage is something to the effect of "Photos of Installed kits" select toyota, select prius, it doesn't look bad, I may look at the carbon fiber appliques when I get my '05 (getting a color of carbon fiber that matches my vehicle's color, If I get blue, blue/black carbon fiber, if I get tidland, I have no idea, any suggestions?)

20. engnrng

engnrng New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(htmlspinnr @ Aug 6 2004, 12:52 PM) [snapback]31073[/snapback]</div>
    I like the look of wood trim, tastefully done. But there is another reason, more subtle.

I get asked about my Prius at least once a week. Many are considering buying, but don't understand or think the look is too weird, or think they will have to make too many compromises, seems many equate a "small car" with uncomfortable or cheesy. In fact, when I demonstrate the lay down seats, Display/Nav system, JBL sound system (which needs no woofer, by the way), they are impressed and usually estimate the new car price at about $30k. I figure the more people who drive lo-emissions, lo-consumption vehicles, the better off my daughter and her children will be. Therefore, if I can also impress people with how luxurious my vehicle can look, there may be that many more people who will buy a Prius because they don't have to compromise on luxury. Wood dash? Classy license plate frame? Tasteful decals? Yup, if it helps create curiosity and sell the car to more people.

Just my take on things - looking at the big picture...