1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

WooHoo! Sirius Installed in My Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by LOLGuy, Apr 22, 2005.

1. LOLGuy

LOLGuy Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I just had the Sirius Starbase installed in my Prius and I am very happy with the product and install. Purchased and installed by Circuit City. They placed the receiver in the dash, it looks to be right above or around the power button, with the face plate installed in the drawer below the cassette player. They did a great job mounting the face plate without displacing the cover to the drawer, so you can close the door and enjoy the product without anything other than a factory look.

My only regret is that PAC's Aux-Box couldn't be used. CD's couldn't be played when the installer hooked it up to the changer. Because the Starmate has wired FM modulation, that's not a big problem (other than I now have a Aux-Box and cables that aren't being used -- but I'm talking to PAC Audio about that).

For those of you who are looking for a Sirius solution and aren't inclined to wait for an integrated unit, this is a great product!

2. fairfieldwizard

fairfieldwizard New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Can you tell me more? I'm contemplating a Sirius install in my '04 Prius. In particular, I'm not sure what you mean about their installing the faceplate in the drawer beneath the cassette player. I assume you're talking about the little compartment with the flip-down cover. If so, how did they fit it? The Starmate looks like it's a different shape?

3. LOLGuy

LOLGuy Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    [edit]Oops...I'm a boob. It's the Starbase.[/edit]

Yes, same compartment. They used a pice of black plastic to fashion a mounting plate. I'll take and post a couple of pictures tomorrow.

4. fairfieldwizard

fairfieldwizard New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yes, I figured it out. Got the Starmate installed at Circuit City, myself. I'm not altogether pleased with the sound quality though. I'm presuming that it's the nature of the Satellite radio as opposed to the already mediochre sound o f the radio. In particular, NPR happened to have the same show on their regular broadcast channel as was playing on Sirius. Listening to Sirius, I can positively tell that the freuquency response is narrower than on regular broadcast radio.

Music channels seem to sound good, but I'm not happy with the FM radio antenna hookup. I'll try and get a picture of mine.

5. LOLGuy

LOLGuy Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hopefully this can be of assistance for other folks seeking a Sirius solution and not wanting to wait for whatever might be down the pike.

A few pictures showing placement and installation of the Sirius Starbase...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

One with the cover closed...

[​IMG]

Also neat is that at night the blue illumination shows through the cover. Cool.

6. Ken S

Ken S Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    If the sound of your AM/FM radio is better than that of the Sirius there's a problem. The Sirius should sound as good...if not better. I'd suggest taking a look at how it's connected to your radio system (is the connection to the antenna wire good?) and the Sirius unit itself.

7. madadayo

madadayo New Member

I don't have one myself but a friend of mine who has one installed in his car says the occasional "bad reception" is common because it's satellite driven...otherwords, it retrieves signals direct from the satellite above. He mentioned that his reception would cut out every once in awhile if he was driving under a row of trees or tunnel.

This is perhaps the problem?

8. Ken S

Ken S Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Yes, bad reception is possible...the signal will fade in bad weather, tunnels, parking garages, etc. but when you're getting reception the sound should be every bit as good as anything on the FM dial (if you're using a hookup to the car's existing antenna) and far better sound if hooked directly to an audio input.

9. r1perkins

r1perkins New Member

I've had a Sirius Xact unit installed in my Prius for a while . . . I've been very unhappy with the sound quality of the 'upgraded' JBL radio (although CD's sound ok), and the Sirius broadcast through the bad sounding radio sure doesn't sound any better. I'm hoping the ViewTech I have on order from Coastal Tech will help a great deal. In the meantime I deal with it - got to have my Air America!

10. petteri

petteri New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(r1perkins\";p=\"85022)</div>
    AAR is going to be an XM exclusive starting in June. See the AAR website for details. I hope Sirius can replace it with something even better, Pacifica Radio and the full Thom Hartman show.

11. Cyndrax

Cyndrax New Member

Damnit, every time I see this post I think, "Sweet, someone finally has info on the OEM Sirius system"

lol