1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Word of Warning: Oil Overfill

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Mellowman, Dec 24, 2015.

1. Mellowman

Mellowman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, I went to one of those quickie oil change chains to get what I thought would be something that couldn't really get screwed up. After turning down all the upselling, I drove away and about 1/2 mile away received the triangle of death. I had the car towed to a mechanic and turns out it was overfilled with the result being oil spilled or frothed into the intake manifold. It was a huge hassle and took a lot of phone calls. I will give some credit to the national chain that they paid my mechanic directly in full and apologized.

But it seems maybe the Prius is a little sensitive to overfilling? The oil change manager said "I guess we need to be putting in more like 3.6 quarts on Prius' instead of the stated 3.9 capacity." I have no way of knowing if they put 3.9 or 4 or 5 quarts but don't know what it takes to be too much.

I'm probably going to go back to doing my own oil changes so is this correct, does it really take more like 3.6 typically? I guess that can be the starting point and top it off if necessary. I've never had this experience before of overfilling.

2. Montgomery

Montgomery Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    In my humble opinion, it seems they actually put in 5 quarts. 3.9 doesn't seem enough to have it "spill or froth" into the intake manifold. That takes a lot of oil for that to happen. Yes, doing it on your own may be the safest bet. A good dealership would also be good. Man, I can tell you ridiculous stories of mine regarding one of those quick oil chain places. My issue was having other leaks happen after visiting them, that didn't occur before.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it's just carelessness. prius may be a little more than susceptible than your average gasser, idk. but that's why we avoid quicky bube, and always check the level before driving off, no matter where you take it. anyone can make a mistake, and mistakes are sometimes expensive. glad they took care of yours.(y)

4. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It's not just the oil change chains, the dealer personnel can overfill too.

I once gave them a 5 quart jug of oil and expected them to return the unused amount. However, when I got the car back, there was no jug. Checked the oil level, and sure enough, it was overfilled.

I removed the excess oil myself.

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Good move. The pros are too rushed, and quicky oil price place "pros" are the most rushed. Maybe the guy lost count, and opted to throw in another bottle for good measure. Or, perhaps was being diligent, checked the dipstick, and misread it.

I know reading 3rd gen dipstick with brand new oil is an exercise in futility. If I check ours right after an oil change it invariably reads quite a bit low, even though I've put in the correct quantity. Best to just dump in the spec'd amount, do a cursory check to make sure you can see something, then ignore it for a day or two.

6. Bill the Engineer

Bill the Engineer Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Just be thankful that the Prius gave you the red triangle of Death when you lost oil pressure. Other cars would have continued to egg-beater the excess oil into a foam until the engine seized from lack of oil pressure.

Bill the Engineer

bisco likes this.
  7. sillylilwabbit

sillylilwabbit Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I was wondering if being 1/8" above the dot on the dipstick is cause for concern.

iPhone ?

8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    ^ No. Just think about it, nothing is that critical.

9. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    How much did your mechanic charge to drain out a little oil?

10. roamerr

roamerr Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Used Jiffy Lube 2 yrs ago on my daughters jeep. I had a Jiffy Lube Groupon and thought I would save a few bucks. What a waste. Their oil filter leaked. Slow drip that tightening would not correct. I changed it myself a week later.

Never again. I can do my own oil in 30 min and get to look for other issues.

iPhone ?

11. cyberpriusII

cyberpriusII Prodigyplace says I'm Super Kris

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    A fill of 3.9 U.S. quarts is exactly the correct amount of oil. I did that several times when I was a new owner until Patrick Wong on PriusChat finally got me to relax and just put in 3.5 and call it good.

So, it if was overfilled, they put in much more than 3.9 quarts.

12. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Kris got me to pay more attention to draining the used oil out of the engine. Now I raise up the rear of the car and the left front corner, while the right front corner is lowered, to help the used oil to drain out of the crankcase more thoroughly. Then I put in 3.7 quarts to bring the new oil level up to the top dipstick dimple.

13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i put in 6 quarts and call it a day.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  14. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    This is not funny. :(

Unless you're talking about a 3.5 liter Camry V6, 6 quarts would be perfect in that application.

15. DRACO

DRACO Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    One
    IMHO, too much oil is too much oil and it needs to be drained off.

In my 911 and many if not all of my club members fill to the middle of the dipstick. The reason is when the engine gets to operating temps and level is above the recommended mark, the oil gets into the intake and upon restart, out the pipe resulting in a ploom of smoke and fouling up the throttle body. Here in Cali, it causes high HC readings at the bi-annual Smog Check for post 78 cars which will FAIL the test.

Infact, my buddy and I drove up to Laguna Seca and he overfilled it, He sprayed oil all over my car. I was so POed :cautious:

In the 02 Prius, my MIL thinks she needs to keep adding oil, as a result, over filled it and threw a CEL. I had to drain a bit out and worse part was taking the intake apart (yes, I could have left it in the car but it is much easier to clean not hunched over that tiny car) and the CEL for that issue never appeared again.

Bottom line, keep it between the two marks to be prevent any future issues. 3.7 qts is a happy medium :D

16. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I use Jiffy once in a while. There now Havoline no more Jiffy down here anymore. Same place same nitwits.

In there computer it says the Prius G2 takes 5 quarts. Same computer Jiffy had. I always say that's nice your putting in 3.5 quarts. And to make sure they do I bring the Mi 5 quart jug with just 3.5 quarts in it. And I stand there and watch them.

I bring the $4 oem filter and the jug. With a coupon its $21.

Guaranteed dealer over fill too. There using the pneumatic hose filler from the dirty vat and its not very accurate so they give it one or 2 more shots. Not that they check after.

Consistant overfill with dirty oil and constant upsell and 2 hour wait. But nice donuts.

bisco likes this.
  17. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two

Oil does not expand when it reaches operating temp. Not sure what cars your talking about but Toyota put the full mark on the dipstick for a reason. And as far as oil in a PRIUS intake that's very normal and is always there. There's always a pool in the bottom of the TB. Its part of the Atkinson cycle.

In a Prius the oil needs to be checked first thing in the am before you start the car. Takes a long time for all oil to drain back completely in a Prius. There's a lot of oil up in the VVT section. If you check your oil at a gas stop it will constantly show low which is probably why your MIL
    kept adding oil.

18. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Does nobody check their own oil anymore?

privilege and edthefox5 like this.
  19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    rarely. i'm waiting for the light to come on first.:cool:

i have been to nifty loob only once. they made me wait in a room with a window. i could barely see my car. it took an hour, and i had to make them drain the excess oil. the guy did a good job acting like he couldn't figure out how it was above the max line, when he only filled it to just below.:rolleyes:

20. johnnyb588

johnnyb588 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I'm pretty particular about draining every single drop I can get to, and 3.9qts fills my Prii up to the very top of the full line on the dipstick. 3.5-3.7qts is probably the best practice for most people. Being a little under the top line is no problem at all (it's even desirable).