1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Words

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by daniel, Jan 22, 2011.

1. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I've decided to come back from my self-imposed time-out to ask this question:

Why are certain words, by themselves, considered so unacceptable that they are banned from the airwaves and from so-called "polite" society, and that the mere use of them can elicit a warning on this web site, and presumably a banning if the use is repeated?

And why are most of them Anglo Saxon words referring to the sex act and the elimination of bodily waste?

It's okay to say "intercourse" and "excrement," but the Anglo Saxon "f" and "s" words meaning exactly the same thing are considered "dirty."

And it's considered perfectly acceptable to say "murder," "torture," and "rape," the last being a sex word meaning the same as the "f" word, but since it's an act of violence that somehow makes it not a dirty word?????????

What the Bunny is going on here?

Of course, this site belongs to Danny and he can impose whatever rules he likes, and in this case he is just following the conventions of a society dominated by religious prudery, within which we all live, and failing to kow tow to such conventions can have social consequences.

What makes this whole business especially sick is that words that describe acts that cause indescribable suffering are not frowned upon in the least, while words that describe acts that give pleasure are reviled. Of course, Christianity (and perhaps Judaism and Islam, though I am less familiar with these) considers that pleasure is "sinful" while murder and mayhem are acceptable (war and the torture and killing of people regarded as "bad").

So in the end, just as the principle arguments against civil rights for black folks were religious, and the only arguments against civil rights for gays are religious, so too, the insistence that we refrain from speaking of pleasurable acts also comes out of religion. Why else am I allowed to say "rape," but not the "f" word? You can't name the sex act unless it's violent, forced sex. And you can spout stupidity all day long, but if you compare that stupidity with bovine bodily waste products you are in violation of the TOS.

The religious prudery that bans pleasure words while permitting pain words is sick sick sick sick sick!!! :mmph:

2. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hey D, didn't think you would be gone this long.

What is in a word eh? Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never ...

3. Jim E.

Jim E. Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I've found PC to have a Laissez-faire approach to moderating, so now I wonder what the offending word was... just to see if I know it!

Personally I try not to expend energy disputing outrageous statements made by others: (a) because I'm not very good at it so it's no fun for me, and (b) because I know the likelihood of changing their mind is exactly the same as their ability to change mine: Exactly nil. Instead, I take comfort in the knowledge that they are wrong, and that I am right. Although I do sometimes enjoy a vicarious thrill watching others engage.

Words are powerful when manipulated by a master. You are a master wordsmith. I am glad you have returned from exile. I hope you stay awhile, because I think you're a lot of fun & I enjoy watching how your mind works.

Word!

4. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Technically, this isn't completely correct. You CAN call something male bovine excrement, you just can't say so in one word. Also, you can call somebody (as long as that somebody is In The Public, eg a politician or actor and not a board member) someone who has sex with their female parent, but again you just can't say so in one word.

5. SlowTurd

SlowTurd I LIKE PRIUS'S

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    sounds like copulation pee pee to me

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    hey! if yer gonna paraphrase george carlin, at least give him a nod.:censored:

7. airportkid

airportkid Will Fly For Food

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Swear words are their own branch of language, with a portion of the physical mind that processes language devoted to handling them. We use them for their power; they would not have that power if they weren't taboo, so they're intinsically paradoxical, which is probably why it takes a special place in the brain to deal with them.

That editors censor them preserves their potency: consider the clout of the "f" word in 1950 compared to its clout today, where relaxed censorship and its subsequent gratutitous use has weakened it so that it has no shock value left. As we ease the taboo of using particular swear words we will eventually coin or appropriate other words to regain their lost power of speech (I can't think of any examples today but "damn" and "hell" or so weakened today even Priuschat permits them without a flicker - that would not have been true in 1950).

As to their subject matter, they are going to be associated with our taboos, as that is what gives them their power: speaking the unspeakable. Bodily waste is among the most disgusting things we apprehend (it's poison to us so revulsion to it is in our genes).

Sex has been a problem for mankind since we developed the ability to regard it intellectually, precisely because it makes complete mush of our intellect, that it easily and persistently totally overrides our intellect. That something so much a part of us so regularly subverts our very personalities will give rise to all kinds of taboos.

Swear words have to be kept forbidden if we want to keep them useable: make them just another word in the language then that's all you'll have left: just another word in the language. The paradox doesn't make any sesne, but it damn well does.

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    when conversing with people, i'm always hoping for more swear words.:rolleyes:

9. Rokeby

Rokeby Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    It is difficult to understand a reason to champion what are considered
    common vulgarities.

Why the everyday Anglo-Saxon "curse words" are frowned upon may
    have to do with the types of situations they are generally heard in and
    the emotional response they typically elicit... a loud, screaming
    argument tending towards ugliness and violence.

Other than in a drawing room farce it is hard to see this exchange
    escalating:
    "You dumb great steaming load of excrement!"
    "You stupid act of zygote creation!"
    "I'm gonna' kick your gluteus maximus 'til your nose bleeds!"
    "I've seen the out come of the mating of camels with sexually
    transmitted diseases with more heavenly condemned to never ending
    torment brains than you!"

More than anything, substituting the terms that would be acceptable, or
    at least pass without undo comment in civil society, makes mockery of
    the very use of "curse words." Absent the expression of mounting
    tension and lack of self control by the speaker, they add no value to an
    exchange... quite the opposite they just muddy things up.

Then maybe being able to use the latin or Greek or just plain high
    falutin' version is a bias towards better education... surely a
    fundamentally worthwhile objective.

I hope we are not going to be subjected to a rehash the whole Lenny
    Bruce/George Carlin unacceptable language thing.

Seems like it will be an act of reproduction by meiosis waste of time.

Anyway, welcome back Daniel. I say let the post deletion pass.
    It just might be that on consideration at a later time you would have
    wished it was not given immortality in the "cloud."
    And then, maybe not. YMMV.

10. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    It's not just the word. It's the combination of past history (good or bad), context (anger or discussion), intent of use (insult or emphasis) and then the actual word employed.

It's only fair to point out that most of the problems of late have been with very long standing PriusChat members. The moderators seem to be more forgiving than they have been in the past. They have not been banning much that I can see, but just issuing notices as a preventative measure, not as a punitive measure.

2 people like this.
  11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i think danny dropped one on us and ran.

12. koa

koa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    NSFW (F word) As if there's still someone who hasn't heard it used at work.

13. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Polite and intelligent conversation seems to be mostly a generational thing, and is rare even then. It shouldn't be, especially in print. I can't recall the last time I heard anyone younger than about 25 speak in complete sentences without an f-bomb every effing third word. It's lost its shock value and cheapened it, really. There's nothing like a good heartfelt expletive every now and then to get your point across, but it has to be unexpected for it to have any value. Even with an exclamation mark, "male bovine excrement!" simply doesn't have the same effect as saying "bullsh!t", despite being both gender-specific and anatomically correct. Maybe this passes the censors and maybe it doesn't - a little creativity and humility goes a long way. Said with a smirk and wink, and not in anger, it's not so difficult to be a cunning linguist and still get your point across. :p

1 person likes this.
  14. Rokeby

Rokeby Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    " 'Nicely done indeed!" said the philatelist."

That would be a low blow.

15. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Or he got reprimanded again.

16. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Words like colors have all kinds of shades of meaning. Words vary as to context and delivery. They can change meaning over time, fall in or out of favor.

Trying to make sense of which words are considered dirty is unlikely to satisfy. It's like trying to make sense of the irrational driving. Sometimes people just carpet F-bomb for shock value - it has no other meaning.

Words are used to communicate, but words are also used as weapons. The most obvious example of words as weapons is the troller that makes their every post hostile.

In context, this is all about a word during a heated argument. That word was deemed a weapon - not communication. That thread has two sides that are not going to agree. A truce seems the best practical solution, but for years it's become a spiting match instead....that's the real issue - lacking the capacity of acknowledging differences of opinion.

17. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think you meant to say 'spitting match', but in this context the meaning is probably the same. ;)

And in all due respect, I think "differences of opinion" fails to do justice to the situation. Daniel's question seems valid: Why can't someone call 'BS!' when much worse words are apparently acceptable? Really, it's more than a PriusChat issue - maybe 'rape' should be a swear word, too.

18. thbjr

thbjr Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Reminds me of the days when I used to drive a school bus. It was a high school route so the kids were well versed in slang. On one occasion, a couple of the boys were trying to imitate a bodily function sound by putting their hand in their armpit and squeezing. I made a comment about how childish it was to try to emulate a flatus. Well, one thing led to another and before you know it I decided to lead out in a 'say what you mean, literally', contest. On a bus of about 35 high schoolers, only one could decipher what I was saying when I referred to myself as an ancient flatus. It turned into quite an exercise in English language usage. Rather than turning to a buddy and saying F.U., they were challenged so come up with what they were really saying. Were they really trying to say intercourse yourself, or something entirely different. Likewise, telling someone they're full of bull manure has a completely different connotation. It was certainly an eye opener and a few of them even took their newly found skills off the bus to share on campus. It did cut way down on my having to correct them for foul language.

19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    does rape really mean the same thing as the f word, or is it just another word that has become commomplace as a sexual reference like pregnant, intercourse and abortion?

20. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The act itself is much worse - why should the word be innocent?