1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Wore out my Silca floor pump chuck.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by AzWxGuy, Sep 22, 2015.

1. AzWxGuy

AzWxGuy Weather Guy

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    I will admit, I have had this pump for a number of years. Long enough that they don't sell them anymore. Probably 30 years old. Used it to pump up bike tires on three of my bikes and car tires whenever they needed it. It has more than served its purpose over the years. Lately though, I can't seem to get the chuck to engage the stem threads on my bike tires. I believe the threads on the brass chuck cap have finally worn. What gets me though is the fact that it still fits the metal stems on my Prius fairly tightly. Like the Prius stems are ever so slightly larger than what should be a worldwide standard dimension. I have used this pump on my Gen II and now Gen III tires, and I think I can confidently postulate that the TPMS stems have contributed to accelerated air chuck thread wear. I believe spare parts are still available for this fine Italian air pump, locally and online if need be. So I will be working on a rebuild. Anyone else notice anything like this? I know there are a few of you out there (or maybe more) that still do things like manually airing up tires with a bicycle pump.

2. GrGramps

GrGramps Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a Schwinn pump that I used until the leather gave out. Keep saying I will repair it someday. In the meantime I use a compressor.

Your Silca is designed for Presta valves if I'm not mistaken.

3. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yup, a Silca and a ParkTool. I would have thought you should be able to get spares for the Silca. :)

BTW: My Silca will do Presta and Schrader.

4. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
  5. AzWxGuy

AzWxGuy Weather Guy

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    I have a Presta chuck somewhere around here. Don't use it much. Just swap out the Schrader when I need it. The hose could be replaced. Every time I swap the chucks some rubber comes away on the fitting. I checked the leather seal and it is still good. The pressure gauge isn't very accurate but gives me a reasonable estimate. So there still are some tire pump enthusiasts out and about. Getting a little exercise wherever you can.