1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Working on my car, a pie chart

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by mikewithaprius, May 9, 2011.

1. mikewithaprius

mikewithaprius New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I agree with the looking for tools bit: it's amazing how they disappear. Even more fun is looking for fasteners you dropped, especially when dropped into the innards.

3. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    When working on my car, I spend about 5% of the time filling out paperwork, and 95% of the time sitting in the waiting room playing with my iPad.

2 people like this.
  4. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    That graph is pretty accurate for a lot of work, actually... I work with a high school robotics team, and I'd say it's pretty accurate for our time there! The worst part... We've got 8 pairs of needle nose pliers, and yet we can never find them when we need them!

On a completely unrelated note... I hate how my company blocks some sites, like imgur... To see the pie chart, I was reduced to copying the URL, plugging it into a QR-Code generator, and using that to pull it up on my iPhone... all that, and it was still quicker than typing it in!

5. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Considering this is FHOP, shouldn't that be called a pancake chart?:D

That chart does illustrate why my method of estimating time required for a job works.

1. Estimate how long the job should take.

2. Double the number and go to the level of units.

If your initial estimate is 1 hour, double the one and change the units to days. Actual time will be 2 days.

That accounts for hunting for tools, finding dropped parts and driving to stores that don't have the new part you need.

6. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I guess I'm a ricer because a significant portion of my work-on-car time is trying to figure out which of several competing parts to buy for my car. :)