1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

World's first 2010 Prius Dyno

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by PencilGeek, Oct 10, 2010.

1. PencilGeek

PencilGeek New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    As part of our BMW dyno day, I brought out my 2010 Prius and put it on the dyno.

Here's a youtube video of the event. SInce I'm new and can't post links, just visit www-youtube-com/watch?v=e-INfnBJ5fE

Here's the dyno chart:
    PencilGeek.jpg

Me Here and JimboPalmer like this.
  2. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Cool! Nice video. Glad they let you do that. Lot of Bimmer owners I know are hp snobs.

3. PencilGeek

PencilGeek New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Well, it helps when I'm the guy who owns the 614whp BMW in the video (186 MPH in the Texas Mile) -- and the guy collecting all of the data and publishing all of the charts and videos for the dyno day!

Everybody was actually looking forward to the Prius dyno. We had a betting pool on it too!

4. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    To save people from having to convert the link
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-INfnBJ5fE"]YouTube - Alekshop Dyno Day: PencilGeek - Toyota Prius 114 whp[/ame]

Thanks, I like the reaction!

1 person likes this.
  5. Airbalancer

Airbalancer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    :rockon:

I wonder how many BMW ownwers also own Prius?

We have a 323 CIC as our weekend ride

Mrpcar likes this.
  6. BlizzP10

BlizzP10 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    We own a new Prius, but kept our two BMWs (a 3 and a 5 series).

7. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Seems the HP drops badly when, presumably, the battery runs low on juice.

8. Pooka

Pooka TIFOSO

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    cool vid ... thanks for posting ... another BMW + Prius owner !

9. PencilGeek

PencilGeek New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Coincidentally, a friend of mine -- also with a 600+ whp BMW M3 -- also daily drives a Prius.

We also wondered about the power drop off in the 2nd run. We wondered if it could be due to battery drain. The 3rd run we changed from power to normal mode -- and you can see the entire power curve change.

10. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Thank you! The video answers a lot of questions. Will there be an opportunity to repeat this test?

What you might do is try a 'forced charge,' hold the brake and floor the accelerator. You should be able to peak charge the traction battery and get an idea about what a maximum acceleration looks like.

Did having the rear wheels locked cause any traction control or other error indication? There may be a way to disable the traction control (I haven't tried it, yet.) This might give a little better acceleration.

Yes, I think the three runs are showing the effects of traction battery depletion. It would be great if we could get something like Auto Enginuity or TechStream Lite to record metrics from the car during the runs.

Can you provide some more metrics about the test car:

• gasoline - octane, ethanol content, brand. I found 89 octane had a measurable effect in hill climb data. So I would expect straight gas, 89 or higher octane, would have a significant effect.
    • tire - pressure and brand, max sidewall should help by reduced rolling resistance
    • has transaxle oil been changed - my change at 5,000 miles revealed an initial load from left over manufacturing material, early gear wear and loose fragments of sealant along with a 5% loss in viscosity. I'm waiting on 15k, service miles before my second change.
    • last alignment numbers - all of our stock Prius have shown more camber than I care for and the toe was off on the 2010.
    Thanks,
    Bob Wilson

11. robertp

robertp Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V

Well... not a BMW but a Hyundai Genesis Coupe 3.8 GT V6 AT is our weekend ride. The Prius V is the weekday drive to work.

12. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The striking difference is the angle of the graph. BMW curves are like 45 degree reaching it's peak around 80-100 MPH. Prius' power delivery climb to near peak by 40 MPH.

13. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    It has me wondering too. Traction control?

I have an Auto Enginuity and GPS and can do a recorded, maximum acceleration. With the weight of the vehicle and driver, we can calculate the power and other forces. . . . Hummm, sounds like a good excuse.

Bob Wilson

14. PencilGeek

PencilGeek New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    All of the BMW graphs have RPM on the X-Axis, and the Prius graph has MPH on the X-Axis. So the two scales are completely different. We didn't bother to unshroud a spark plug wire to capture engine spark. That would have been wierd anyways because of the electric motor in the lower speeds.

Regarding traction control and an earlier question. Yes, we had to go into the fuse box and remove the ABS fuse to allow the car to be in dyno mode. It's the same thing we have to do on the BMW's with DCT (dual clutch transmission) to get them to dyno correctly on certain dyno's.

Bob, I do co-run a bunch of these dyno days...and there's a good chance I'll be able to get the Prius back on the dyno. If that ever happens, I'll look this thread back up and see about running some of your experiments.

15. PencilGeek

PencilGeek New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    BTW, I'm not 100% sure it was the ABS fuse we removed...but I know they were in the fuse box after an initial attempt, and I asked if they were looking for the ABS fuse...and I got a "yes" nod.

16. PencilGeek

PencilGeek New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    1 person likes this.
  17. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Excellent, I see you are running 89 octane. But I noticed in the video, one red car in the middle with the "Texas Mile: 186.1 mph" . . . what was that about?

"2008 M3 6MT" - ?

I see the problem with not having the ignition wire to read out the ICE rpm. But I noticed the gas engine cars were running a rich mixture at low RPM but leaned out at higher power settings. How are they measuring it?

Without a dyno, I can run well instrumented flat and hill climb, 8.3% grade, data. But you mentioned using 77F for the standard day temperature instead of 60F, this is new? I can use the vehicle indicated temperature at the run site(s) but will have to use local weather stations for barometric pressure. GPS will record the altitude and my GPS mouse reports ephemris every second.

My wife's car is running Shell, E10, 87 octane for fuel efficiency. But we have at least two sources of straight gas and +89 octane. Her car has about 150 miles remaining to empty so I'll switch hers to their max octane and retest.

We're already on Sumitomo T4s due to a second puncture over the same spot. The transaxle oil was changed at 5,000 miles so we're in good shape for testing.

Thanks,
    Bob Wilson

18. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thanks for providing the link to the graphs. Were the BMWs dyno-ed in a single gear? The graph only shows one continuous line per run.

19. Mac Attack

Mac Attack New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Awesome! Thanks for doing that and posting the results/video. Looked like a fun day.

Oh, and nice M3 :cool:

20. PencilGeek

PencilGeek New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    That's my car, my dyno (on a different day), and my Texas Mile results. It's meant to be kind of a joke. The idea of the video was that all of the cars are increasing in horsepower until this one final show down. Even my 600+ whp M3 wasn't going to be enough. Then...came the Prius. So that's what I was trying to convey...kind of having some fun with it.

That's a standard BMW AFR curve. It's actually the other way around. Higher AFR numbers are leaner...lower numbers are richer. So the cars were leaner in the low RPMs and richer up top. It's measured with a wide-band O2 sniffer that sticks in the tailpipe.

When you stick a car on a dyno, you can get uncorrected, or "corrected" results. There are many correction formulas (DIN, STD, SAE, JIS). SAE-1349 is the industry standard. Basically, SAE-1349 is a way to "normalize" the results of a dyno to a standard set of temperature and pressure conditions. It's meant to normalize to Detroit, Michigan -- where the Big-3 auto makers do their testing. Before 2004, the normalization values were 60 degrees F, and 29.235 inches of mercury pressure. The spec changed in 2004, so while the correction formula stayed the same, the reference temperature and pressure changed to 77 degrees F, and 29.92 in/Mercury.

Vehicle temperature isn't accurate. I'd rather use the local weather station for both temps and pressure. That's what I've done in the past -- before I bought the Kestral weather station.

Correct. 1-gear -- always the same gear. That's 4th gear for 6MT (6-speed Manual transmisson) and I believe it's also 4th gear for DCT (Dual Clutch Transmission).

Thanks. The M3 is my perpetual project car.:)

2 people like this.