1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

World's First Solar Speedboat Does 30 Knots Gas-Free

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Tideland Prius, May 25, 2008.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Looking to zoom through the oceans in a stylish, but also somewhat environmentally friendly, manner? Check out the Czeers MK1 prototype solar speedboat, a 10-meter long rig that manages to pack in 14 square meters of solar panels to power an 80kw electric motor. The MK1 plows through the water at a breakneck 30 knots, using no oil and producing no fumes or engine noise. Hit the jump for a video of the boat in action.

Full Article

2. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Very cool! Someone needs to put a radar gun or stop watch on that claim of 30 knots looks more like 20 to me but still respectable. Nevertheless "I want one!" but maybe in a more utilitarian design.

Nice find!

Wildkow

3. Rybold

Rybold globally warmed member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Awesome! I just hope we don't get out to sea and then realize clouds just moved in. lol. Really though, this boat is awesome! We should employ this guy to cover a Prius entirely in solar panels.

This boat could very well be the future of boating. For any of you that have ever been boating before you know how much gasoline boats guzzle. I can't possibly believe the concept of filling a 1,000 gallon tank with $4 gasoline. $4,000 anyone?

I am going to make a prediction ... wild seafood is going to become a VERY expensive meal!

4. brick

brick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey, didn't they once make these boats with the big...what do you call it...parachute? Parachute on a stick? I hear those used to be pretty popular. ;)