1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

World's Sexiest EV

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by PriusOwner004, Sep 14, 2007.

1. PriusOwner004

PriusOwner004 New Member

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Flash and a slow one at that....just FYI.

3. PriusOwner004

PriusOwner004 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Sep 14 2007, 06:21 PM) [snapback]512771[/snapback]</div>

I guess you pay for exclusivity, limited to a total of 25. But I agree, Tesla is far suprior in any conceivable way and about 4 times less expensive.

4. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I was actually refering to the web site, not the car. Never made it to the car, I don't have much tolerance for slow flash sites.

5. PriusOwner004

PriusOwner004 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Sep 14 2007, 06:31 PM) [snapback]512775[/snapback]</div>
    OK, well FYI the car does 100 mph, which is a lot less than the Tesla, a second slower on the 0-60 and battery range is also less. And for that you pay about $400K, which is about 4 times the Tesla. Nice concept though, especially the all glass top version.

6. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    That's one beautiful car.
    Range: 250 km = 155 miles
    Top speed 160 km/h = 100 mph
    0 to 100 km/h (= 62 mph) < 5 seconds

The Tesla, at 1/4 the price, will be mass-manufactured (1000 per year anticipated) whereas the Fetish will be 25 units, hand-built. The Tesla will be faster and go farther on a charge. But the Tesla has an uncomfortable seat that has you lean way back, whereas the Fetish has a more comfortable-looking upright seat.

They claim it'll be the first, but I could not figure out whether you can order it now, for delivery in 4 months, or whether they will be taking orders at some undetermined time in the future.

I wish they'd mass-build them for $50,000.

Meanwhile, you can buy a Xebra today. It's slower, doesn't go as far, is not constructed all that well, but it's on the road TODAY, not "someday soon." Maybe in two or three years, when my Xebra's batteries are getting old, one of these many companies PROMISING a "real" electric car will actually have one you can buy and drive away in.

Jam yesterday and jam tomorrow but never jam today. If you want jam today, the Xebra is it. And with all its blemishes, it is FUN FUN FUN!!!

7. PriusOwner004

PriusOwner004 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Sep 14 2007, 07:00 PM) [snapback]512791[/snapback]</div>

That's one very optimistic manufacturer! LOL
    100 to 300 a year at that $100K price will be an amazing achievement........

8. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PriusOwner004 @ Sep 14 2007, 04:58 PM) [snapback]512790[/snapback]</div>
    But note that it came out a few years ago.. well before the Tesla.

9. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PriusOwner004 @ Sep 14 2007, 05:17 PM) [snapback]512800[/snapback]</div>
    I was quoting Tesla with the 1,000-per-year figure. But now that you mention it, I agree with you that that's pretty optimistic, given the price. The figure came up when I was asking about likely delivery dates. This was before I visited them. I can't remember when exactly. Six months ago? Eight months? They told me at that time that if I placed my order and handed over my deposit, I could expect delivery in about a year and a quarter from that time. If I remember correctly, they told me that they were getting several orders a day (they had already sold out the signature edition of 100, or whatever they were calling it, and were taking orders for the next hundred) but that they planned on building 1,000 a year once production began, so that the waiting time was likely to remain about the same if I waited to place my order.

However, in retrospect, that sales lady, who invited me to visit their shop, gave me a cell phone number that was a wrong number, and promised I'd get a ride in the car if I visited. I did get the ride, but she was not at work on the day she invited me to come, and the person who was there apparently gave me the ride only because I happened to be the only person who showed up for that week's open house day.

So maybe she was pulling all those numbers out of her hat.

Regardless, I was impressed by the shop, the operation, and the car. I did not like the seat, which leans way back (apparently typical of a certain class of high-powered cars) or the fact that the liquid-cooling system for the battery pack means that the car is far from silent, though nothing like the horrid noise of an ICE-powered car. But it's a beautiful car. I'd have bought it if it had been available, but I decided to wait until it is, and then decide, rather than giving them an unsecured $50,000. And in the end, I got my Xebra, and am driving electric without waiting. I'll probably buy the first real electric car that becomes available. (I don't consider a limited-edition $400,000 car "available.") We'll see if that's the Tesla. I think they're going to make this happen. But I'm now very skeptical of their projected delivery dates. I think their concept is good, their business plan sound, and their car top-notch. I think they are serious, and I think the company is on the level, even if the sales lady I spoke with is unreliable.

It's funny how the klunky, low-tech little three-wheel Xebra sedan, and the glitzy ultra-modern Tesla Roadster, both appeal to me, but in very different ways. I guess it's those electrons, the one thing the two cars have in common.

10. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Sep 14 2007, 05:00 PM) [snapback]512791[/snapback]</div>
    The seats have been significantly re-worked since you were in one, Daniel! Gosh... comparing the picture of one seat to the experience of a proto seat is a bit tricky!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PriusOwner004 @ Sep 14 2007, 05:17 PM) [snapback]512800[/snapback]</div>
    They sold 600 in just over a year... and that's with no product to really show for it. Their plan is to trickle these out for the adrenaline junkies, and mass produce the cheaper, more practical cars that they have planned.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Sep 14 2007, 05:49 PM) [snapback]512820[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah... it "came out" a few years back. I'm not aware of one actually being sold, however!

11. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ Sep 15 2007, 09:16 AM) [snapback]513020[/snapback]</div>
    I'm glad to hear it. Now, if they'd just get them into production. Meanwhile, I drive my Xebra nearly every day. :)