1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Worried about the Tax credit/ATM

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by tracysbeans, Dec 26, 2005.

1. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

Ok, From what I am told I can get a $3,150 tax credit for buying a 2006 Prius. That's the reason at this time I was looking to buy a 2006 Prius instead of a 2006 Camry.

First I want to say I pay in ALOT to Uncle Sam. (makes me sick LOL)

Some people are mentioning some AMT thing. I don't know what that exactly is BUT I need to know IF that is going to affect me getting my credit or not. I most likely won't buy the Prius if I don't get the tax credit.

I'm waiting to hear back from my Tax accountant now. Hopefully she will know if I should have any concerns of this AMT thing. If it has ANYTHING to do with auditing me than the IRS can bring it on. They might only audit me and find out I'm paying in TO much taxes and have to give me a refund. :rolleyes:

So right now I have the deal on my Prius pending to check into this. Just not sure when my tax accountant will be back in from the holidays. I hope this year yet. I would think she would be since some might have issues they would need to address within this year.

In the meantime IF anyone here knows where I can check into this on my own I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks, Tracy

2. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    First of all it is AMT (Alternative Minimum Tax) not ATM. It has been extensively discussed here in the recent past.

H & R Block has an online estimator: Alternative Minimum Tax (AMT) Estimator

3. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

woops, I meant AMT!

Ok, when I do it it comes up

NO AMT Tax

I guess I will have to wait though just to make SURE it's right. I already told the Toyota sales person that if the AMT is going to hurt me in anyway....than NO DEAL!

I have left a message with my tax accountant to call me as soon as possible!

4. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

I'm not sure what your level of paying a lot to Uncle Sam refers to (a lot is relative), but if it is really a large amount, then the tax credit really won't make a difference. Or at least if it does help you, it won't be very significant.

We pay a lot in taxes, and for us it was irrelevant whether we took the Prius after Jan 1 or not. The credit/deduction really didn't make any difference.

5. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

How can possibly saving $3,150 not be help me? The tax credit of $3,150 would pretty much cover the extra premium price for the Prius.

Are you saying because of my income I might not get the credit or it could be reduced??

If I don't get the tax credit I probably won't be buying a Prius. :(

6. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Did you pay AMT last year?
    Have you had a significant change (increase) in your income this year?

If the answer to both of the above is "NO", then don't sweat it.

7. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

I don't know if I paid AMT last year?? I just have my tax accountant figure out my taxes and then after she does that I then have to write out 4 very large checks every quarter :angry:

My income is just about the same as last year. Maybe just a tiny bit more. I had more increasing several years ago. Now it's been leveling out.

I guess my tax accountant is still off on her Christmas holiday because I haven't heard back from her. :(

Update: Just talked to my tax accountant and she said she will check over my paperwork this afternoon and get back to me if the AMT is going to affect me or not. (Crossing my fingers that it won't!)

8. Clar

Clar Member

"No AMT Tax" doesnt mean you will get the full credit. Take a look of your estimated tax liability and AMT amount from above link. If your regular tax subtract AMT is greater than hybrid credit, then you should be able to get full credit. otherwise you will get smaller credit, or none.

If you make so much money and is about to pay AMT, ask your tax adviser and see if he/she has some legal ways to reduce your income level.

9. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

Well, I don't want to try to figure this out on my own since I know nothing about taxes except for paying for them :angry:

My tax accountant is checking into it and said she will get back to me this afternoon!

10. fshagan

fshagan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Let us know what she says. I suspect you're self employed because you're paying quarterly taxes, and are paying more than you'd like to pay in that system. If you pay $3150 MORE than the AMT level for you, then the credit will roll back your taxes by that $3150.

BTW - I actually liked the Prius better than the Camry. I found the seats in the Camry less comfortable, and the room in the cabin just about equal, with the Prius just slightly smaller in feel. I don't really like the seating comfort in any of the Toyotas over the past few years ... the only other small car that I thought was OK was the Corrolla Matrix, but its so noisy inside.

11. pfile

pfile Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    do you have anything from the accountant from last year? the software my dad uses prints out a summary sheet. there it will say how much AMT you paid, if any. however, i'm not sure if it would tell you what your AMT was if you didnt pay any last year.

as others have pointed out, the credit can not decrease your tax liability below your AMT. if the spread between your AMT and what you actually pay is more than the $3150, then you will get the full amount of the credit.

Dec 29th is a little late to have found out about this. for me, since i almost always pay AMT, i had to rush to try to find a prius before the end of the year. i put an order in in mid/late november and i picked one up yesterday... and it was a customer cancel.

having said all that, there are a lot of people who don't pay AMT that are cancelling their orders for 2006 because they just found out about the tax credit. so you may be able to find one before the end of the year, if it turns out you pay AMT. for instance, i was getting worried that dealer #1 was not going to come through for me, so i contacted another dealer, and a day later he had the exact car that i wanted ready for me. coincidentally that same day dealer #1 had the cancellation and so i went with them. this is in the SF bay area, where the prius is very hot (i swear every other car i see is a prius!)

12. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

Everythings ok and my tax accountant said I will get the credit!! :)

I'm going to need it at this point since I upgrading my package! :rolleyes:

I can't beleive how much room there is in the back to with the seats down!