1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Worrisome rattling noise? Would appreciate help!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Arden, Feb 9, 2024.

1. Arden

Arden Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi all, hope you’re doing well. Let me preface this by saying I don’t know a lot about cars so if you could ELI5 your expiation that would help a lot. Apologies if this isn’t the most “coherent” post, I’m definitely a bit worried right now.

My 2nd Gen Prius has never done this before, but I got gas on the way home from school, and about 10 minutes into my drive, my car started rattling. I can only describe the sound as sounding as if pop rocks were in my car. It was hard to tell where the sound was coming from but if I were to guess, I’d say the front of the car. At the same time it felt like it was coming from the passenger side of the car. It happened as I was slowing down to a red light and while I was at a stop. The rattling continued for about 30 seconds then stopped. I drove the car for another 10 minutes with no issues, parked it, went inside, then came back out and drove it for another 10 minutes with no issues other than it feeling sort of slow to drive (although I was anxious so the slowness could very well have just been my imagination).

Like I said, the car has never made this noise before so I’m worried. Given that this happened right after getting gas,

2. Arden

Arden Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    EDIT: I hit send before finishing the post, sorry! Here’s the rest:

Like I said, the car has never made this noise before so I’m worried. I googled this, and found that sometimes bad gas can cause that rattling/knocking sound. Is it possible that this is most likely what happened, especially given that the car has never made this noise before and this happened right after getting gas? If it is most likely bad gas, can someone walk me through what to do, how much damage this could cause, etc.? I’m just really worried it could be a serious engine issue.

3. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    No lights active on the dash yellow or red? Are we sure the sound is coming from the engine or from something in the drive line when the wheels are turning?

4. Arden

Arden Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Nothing active on the dash, and I’m not sure about the second question to be honest.