1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Worst doors on a car I've ever had -- are all Prii like this?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Tommerdoo, Sep 15, 2015.

1. Tommerdoo

Tommerdoo Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hello all! I love my Prius, don't get me wrong -- I'm just trying to figure out if I am the only one here that hates the doors not staying open when you push them, or if this is normal / abnormal for this car?

I just came from a Volkswagen Passat that had a very STRONG detente / mechanism where you could half push the door (Even parked going uphill) or full open and the doors STAYS PUT (and doesn't sound like a hollow tin can too)

This door is so frustrating especially when you are carrying groceries, a baby or anything in the car and the door just follows you to the shut position EVERY TIME, even on the most gentle slope uphill. They are the WORST WORST WORST door hinges I've ever had on a car ever.

The more I drive the Prius, the more I really admire how much the engineers created an amazing device, they put SO much energy into the hybrid synergy drive system. It's absolutely AMAZING to see so much space agey technology and then I look and see so LITTLE thought into the basics like the plastic rattling interior, the windows that squeak continually while you drive down the road if you roll them down to the wrong level and of course these doors that couldn't stand up to a light breeze on a sunny day from pushing them shut.

Ok, that's end of my rant. But seriously, are these doors normal? I can live with them, it's not a deal breaker, but a small hurdle in our ongoing relationship. We can seek counseling....we'll make it through this. I won't quit on her. I'm committed I tell you!

Scott McGregor and Data Daedalus like this.
  2. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    You can replace door check to get the door to stay in place.

3. Tommerdoo

Tommerdoo Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Valde! I see that you had this conversation recently in June. Did you actually find the part # and replace, was it expensive if you did?

4. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    No I could not find Dorman part number. Toyota parts were so expensive that I just decided to leave it.

5. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Recall that the Prius is built to start at a low $20K price point. It's not realistic to expect that every aspect of the car will be above normal. But if the doors bug you, you can replace the door check mechanism as previously suggested. Some owners add additional sound insulation into the doors.

Regarding Toyota part numbers, you can look at toyodiy.com or one of the US dealer parts websites, such as AutoNation Toyota Gulf Freeway, Houston, TX.
    Toyota Parts - Genuine Accessories | AutoNation Toyota Gulf Freeway Parts

6. kenoarto

kenoarto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I just replaced the rear hyrdaulic struts on the rear hatch (that never were strong enough to open from day one). $20 for a pair. Working quite nicely now. Never had any gripes about the side doors, tho.

7. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius

Do your doors then stay open if it is parked so that one side is a bit lower than other? Or if it’s just parked in uphill? I haven’t seen a single one where the door checks are powerful enough.

prius8654 and Scott McGregor like this.
  8. Tommerdoo

Tommerdoo Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yeah, it's not something I'm willing to spend $60/door to fix so I'll just live with it. A small gripe, but sometimes you get surprised at how cheap Toyota parts can be (versus having a volkswagen on an island in the middle of the ocean) and sometimes you're actually surprised how expensive they are. I'm truly amazed that a door check is that expensive...at least a Toyota part...not sure if there are aftermarket ones.

Yeah, if the car is at any angle the door will easily close. It seems to still have a tiny amount ability to hold the door open, but only if the wind isn't blowing! :LOL:

9. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    If it was that big of a deal to begin with isn’t it wort spending that money to get it fixed?

prius8654 likes this.
  10. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Apparently the OP just wanted to vent his complaint.

I agree though, that if the issue was bad enough for the OP to decide it was a problem, he could start by replacing the driver's door check and see if the improvement is sufficient to motivate him to replace one or more of the door checks in the other doors.

There are several areas where the 2G Prius performs at an average level.

1. the suspension system is cheaply designed and as a result the vehicle handling is adequate, at best. If you are used to driving vehicles that excel in that area, there is a big difference.
    2. the vehicle seating will not win awards for comfort.
    3. the friction braking system is adequate for the intended use but no one would say the system is elegant, especially the rear drum brakes.
    4. the overall vehicle noise level.
    5. the North American Classic and 2G fuel tank bladder, installed to meet CA AT-PZEV requirements. The bladder was an example of advanced technology emissions control. 2G owners in CA and other states following CA emissions standards benefited from this system as they received the longer hybrid components warranties. This system is just a burden on owners in the other states where the longer warranties are not offered, because the system makes the vehicle harder to refuel and the ultimate fuel tank capacity is variable.

But again, the base Prius was designed for a low-$20K price point. Since the hybrid drivetrain costs are relatively high, funding of other areas clearly had to fit within a stringent cost budget. Prius owners are primarily motivated by mpg, so the tradeoffs seem to be justified.

#10 Patrick Wong, Sep 16, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2015
    George W and prius8654 like this.
  11. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Should the door detents be left dry, not greased? What I mean: periodic light lube on the hinges, but none along the length of the arms?

12. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I would do that.

If the part that contacts the arm is rubber and arm itself is (coated in) plastic then only thing that you can put in there is silicon but that would make it hold even less.

13. milkman44

milkman44 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    #13 milkman44, Sep 16, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2015
  14. geekwithoutacause

geekwithoutacause Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ridiculous statement. ANY other car I've owned with way more miles on them (hard life or not) had doors operating normal. The prius has all 4 doors act like this with not even that many miles on them. No, Toyota screwed it up with the doors.

Scott McGregor likes this.
  15. Tommerdoo

Tommerdoo Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    To answer Valde, basically with my family's $$ levels right now I'm just spending for major things. I just got some wind/rain guards and I need some tint on the car too (Hawaii has been 90 degrees all summer and we've had flash flood rains almost every day for two months....the strangest weather I've seen since I've lived here). All of those expenses + getting the A/C online to hopefully keep the battery cooler and the Prius can't eat our entire budget.

I'm really really surprised that the door checks are really that expensive considering how simple the design looks to be. It must be that there's a patent on them or something as nobody seems to be able to find many aftermarket suppliers of them. If anything, Toyota should have recalled them or provided a cheap replacement part as I've never owned a car before that had this problem. I mean, I would spend $5-$20 mayyyybe on a door check, but over $40 is pure caveman craziness....that's like a Volkswagen part price!

Scott McGregor likes this.
  16. jdonalds

jdonalds Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    Touring
    1. MY RESPONSE: I know this is a common complaint but I've never felt the handling was in any way inadequate. It's not a sports car and I don't drive it like one. Regular driving on city or country roads is just fine with me.

2. MY RESPONSE: I know this too is a common complaint but it depends on one's body style. We've had the Gen II for 7+ years and 155K miles and I've never felt the seats were uncomfortable. In fact I like the seats so much I'm concerned the Gen IV changes won't be as comfortable to me.

3. MY RESPONSE: This may very well be true but I've never felt the brakes were inadequate. The fact is we don't use the brakes much. We still have 50% on the original brakes with 155K miles on the car.

4. MY RESPONSE: Here I agree. I don't think Toyota puts enough design effort into eliminating road noise. On some rough road surfaces the noise can be quite loud.

5. MY RESPONSE: Totally. Nothing but a pain. I doubt we've every been able to put 10 gallons in the 11.9 gallon tank. We often have gotten 400 miles on a tank. Never have we gotten the 500 miles we should get from time to time. This is due to the bladder.

To the original OP I've never had problems with the doors staying open on our Gen II, even on a slight hill. Sooner or later the gas shocks on the hatch will wear out and will need to be replaced. I've had to replace them on my boat engine hatch and jet ski front storage bin. It's a wear item.

I suspect the problem with your doors is not normal. As others have indicated lubricating them may cause them not to work properly. I've never lubricated them on any car I've owned.

#16 jdonalds, Sep 17, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2015
  17. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Every gen 2 Prius that I have seen that has done more than 160tkm or 100t miles has very week door checks. Normally the weakest being in the driver’s door and rest of them in the order of their use. So I just think they just wear too fast. Maybe different peoples just have different opinions on what is too lose?

18. Melchior

Melchior Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    FWIW mine has the same problem on both front doors but the rears are fine. I've considered replacing the door checks but haven't bothered yet as the problem rarely causes me grief.

19. jdonalds

jdonalds Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    Touring
    We have 155K miles on ours. So no longer "every" gen 2 Prius.

#19 jdonalds, Sep 17, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2015
  20. Tommerdoo

Tommerdoo Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That's it! We need one of those fancy voting thingies on here so we can all vote!