1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Worst KM/Litre ever! (was minus 20c all last week)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by markderail, Feb 1, 2007.

1. markderail

markderail I do 45 mins @ 3200 PSI

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My Pri usually tells me my KM/L is 5 to 6 range per litre, now I got an 8.2, a whopping 270KM. Usually I get 500+ in so-so weather.

Ever since the bad cold, where even salting the streets have no effect, and most of my trips are under 10km, I now have the distinction of the worst mileage. I pulse & glide as much as possible, but I need the heater!

From the day I filled with 29 liters, ten days ago, it was like -22c to -15c (w/o wind chill) - every single day - until today - now it's warmer.

So, to cheer me up, I thought I'd get you guys & gals to do it.

FWIW, my V6 Toyota Sienna, last year in similar conditions, did just about the same KM, except it's 70 Liters to fill up, not 29.

So I'm still ahead in helping Canada reduce total emissions.

Also the entire family, being newly vegetarians (2 yrs now), helps. I tell you, my own personal gas emissions greatly reduced at least two-fold.

Ate a steak at a friends house last summer, smelled sooo good, and couldn't digest it. Must have annulled at least three months of low personal emissions in just two days.

Cheers! (read, cheer me up)

I'm so getting a block heater installed ASAP...

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mark Derail @ Feb 1 2007, 02:01 PM) [snapback]384117[/snapback]</div>
    Salut Mark!

welcome back. (well, at least I haven't seen you for a while lol)

Out on the west coast, I'm currently at 4.8L/100km lol :p (sorry... but it hasn't snowed or rain for a week out here).

Block the grill like I did. See the thread "First morning with blocked grill" That will help in addition to the block heater to:

1. get heat in the cabin faster
    2. warm the engine faster (cause you're stopping the cold air from cooling it back down)

You should be able to drop it back to 5ish with those two methods above.

also, ya 10km trips will kill mileage. In 0-5°C weather out here, a 15km commute isn't enough to fully warm up the engine :blink: