1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Worst mileage: 38 MPG for 5.6 miles

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by bwilson4web, Sep 9, 2009.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    At 2:00 AM, I started to walk the dog when after three houses, I turned back as I was really starting to feel 'car sick.' By 3:00 AM, my bowels felt like someone had reached in and tied them in knots and I knew it was time to head to the hospital. My wife's concept of 'leaving right away' requires patience; an ambulance would take as long to reach the house as I could drive; so I drove myself to the hospital ER.

I parked, locked the car and as I reached the door, asked for a wheel chair. Within a fairly short period of time, which the pain stretched out, I was on a gurney ... the flu has starting to fill-up the ER rooms.

I never really understood that such pain could cause symptoms of shock, throwing up, and be so incapacitating. A migraine headache is the worst pain I've ever had but this was a close, runner up. (Ok, I broke up with a girl in college but not quite the same thing.) A shot of morphine and two doses of an anti-nausea medication followed by X-rays and the diagnosis was a kidney stone. (No fever!)

The symptoms subsided shortly after dawn but the morphine still had my head more muddled than usual. I called the wife and told her she could come pick me up. By 10:30 AM, I was well enough they would let me leave on my own and I called the wife to let her know she didn't need to pick me up. But none of this is important.

The trip over at 3:00 AM started with medium fog that cleared as I got further downtown into the 'heat island.' Even so, A/C in defrost was needed to keep the windows clear. Also, I had only one goal, reaching the ER but I noticed as I parked, 38 MPG after 5.6 miles. The drive back gave 48 MPG for 7.8 miles. I stopped by the pharmacy for the prescriptions.

Now people have different levels of pain tolerance. A long time ago, I learned that if I can force my attention on something else, the pain subsides. So I was OK until I got in the ER but ultimately, this was probably a poor decision. I understand (or it is an urban legend) that patients have driven themselves to the ER and died in their car. Ultimately it is a value judgement: good; fast; cheap ... pick two of three.

Bob Wilson

2. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    A friend of mine once drove himself to the ER when he realized he was having a heart attack. He made it; he told me the story when I visited him in the hospital. Definitely not recommended.

Hope you're feeling better now and please don't drive while hopped up on morphine. :madgrin:

3. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    No problem there except the physician briefed me while I was still feeling the effects:

Dr., "Mr. Wilson <blah> <blah> kidney stone <blah> <blah> no obstruction <blah> <blah> ..."

It wasn't until four hours later that I was sufficiently recovered to go home. Morphine is not the drug for the obsessive compulsive.

Bob Wilson

4. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Now there's the calculus you don't want! Did it 'pass'? Goin' back for lithotripsy?

5. PriusRos

PriusRos A Fairly Senior Member - 2016 Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    So, does pain cause bad gas mileage?

Hope you are feeling better.

6. mgb4tim

mgb4tim Noob

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    stones are rough. I've had them twice before. I have one that lodged and won't come loose, but it is small and out of the way, and been there for over 15 years.

7. Bobsprius

Bobsprius BobPrius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Hey Bob,

Glad you made it safe...the mileage was SYMPATHY mileage from the car...telling you to get well...on your way home, it was much better than going down to the ER. The car was nervous heading there...:p

It wanted you to stay out of there.

Hope your doing better!
    Bob M.

8. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Sad to say, I'm still 'stoned' but have an appointment with the urologist Friday afternoon. Having read up on what is going on, the meds are making the wait tolerable. It is too soon to say if any of the treatments will be needed but fortunately, most of them look to be 'outpatient.'

Apparently the ER visit was the right thing to do. Several articles including [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kidney_stone"]the Wiki write-up[/ame] are a good place to start. Since about 5% of the population will have them, a little knowledge might help.

GOOD LUCK!
    Bob Wilson

9. amm0bob

amm0bob Permanently Junior...

The last place on earth to get cable, Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Re: Worst mileage: I don't want to scare ya Bob...

Glad you made it Bob...

Passing stones is gonna be your next thrill...

10. acdii

acdii Active Member

Try passing one when you also have the flu!