1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Worth buying a 2015 loaded prius 4 with dents and scratches?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by HogMedia, Aug 8, 2022.

1. HogMedia

HogMedia Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Hey everyone, I've been looking to buy a hybrid and (stupidly) turned down a brand new Prius Prime because of the 3k markup. Now I'm in the hell that is buying a used car in this market. I found this one Prius though that has some great features, drove well on the test drive, but has some cosmetic issues that I worry about. I'm thinking I can negotiate it down to at least 15k, but even then I was curious how bad these issues look to you all. The CarFax said it was clean and regularly serviced. But I live in MA and the car has Oklahoma plates.

It also only has 65,000 miles on it, which I hear is actually a bad(?) thing for a 2015 prius? I also saw a 2017 prius prime for 20k with 130k miles, but that doesn't seem as reliable and seems like an awful deal.

I want a hybrid for the fuel efficiency and because I want to go on road trips across the country without spending a lot on gas and having cargo space for camping in the car. I was thinking Ioniq as well but was worried about reliability.

Please advise. Here is the listing:

bisco likes this.
  2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Buy a 2009 from an estate sale in Florida like some old dead people I should be tons of them popping up for sale down there as the old people go their cars have to go somewhere they're generally in perfect condition

PriusHead05 likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!

that looks like a good one. before you buy, secure a hybrid mechanic, it can be difficult to find one, and you don't want to find that out when the dealer wants 3k for a brake actuator.

all the best!(y)

4. PosauneGuy

PosauneGuy Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Curious to understand why 65,000 miles on a 2015 Prius is a "bad" thing. I currently have 70,000 on my 2015 Prius...didn't drive much during the pandemic...still runs great. Is there something I should know?

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Nothing at all wrong with that. FWIW we've got 58K miles, on our 2010. Do get it checked over carefully though.

6. bettergolf

bettergolf Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My 2015 has 80k......It could be a "bad" thing only if the car (battery) sat unused for a long period of time...They need to be used and not sit.

7. ToyXW

ToyXW Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Short trips are bad for the internal combustion engine, sitting for long periods of time is bad for the battery pack (especially outdoors), and many other "wear" items go bad as much from age as use (e.g. shocks & bushings). A car that's done 8,000 miles/year wouldn't give me pause, but one that has gone only 4,000 might - especially if it went 2 1/2 years between service visits.

The low mileage car is still probably better than one that did 30,000 miles/year on the highway, but the benefit might not be as large as the price difference implies unless it was a garage queen getting annual services and living on a battery tender.

#7 ToyXW, Aug 10, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2022
  8. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    For $20k I would buy the 2017 Prius Prime rather than the 2015 Prius 4. Even with more miles on the 2017. The 2017 is a dramatically improved gen4 AND a plug in hybrid.

Its a no brainer when you realize the gen3 could cost you $5k or more in maintenance. Brake booster, egr, head gasket. Plus the 2017 gives you some usable ev range where the 2015 really has none.

Krall likes this.
  9. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Depends on OP, if he gets on the EGR, could be a cream puff.

10. HogMedia

HogMedia Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Ngl I'm not sure what that means haha.

What do you guys think of the carfax on the car though? Does anything look suspicious?

Attached Files:

11. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    One 15,000 mile and several 10,000 mile oil intervals. Not great for the rings although it is a 2015 which had better rings. Mendel believes all gen3 ills can be solved with an $800 egr valve, pipe, intake and cooler repair (dealercost).

Don't like the fact it is selling by a private party on Facebook in Massachusetts while it is registered in Oklahoma. The last two pictures with the blacked out wheels and the dog picture with someone in the background is suspect as well. Was the car bought at auction or does it have a washed title, both signs of a flipper.

The 2017 is twice the car especially considering operating costs and engineering. Much better safety systems as well.

#11 rjparker, Aug 12, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2022
  12. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Cosmetic issues priority over drives well o_O

Krall likes this.
  13. Bill Norton

Bill Norton Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Mendel does have beliefs about Gen3 head gasket failures.
    His 2010 is a very low mileage cream puff, so he really doesn't have experience with high mileage Prii.

But, anyway,, I'm asking for advice on this head gasket subject!

I'm about to buy a 2010 with 122k miles.
    I'm asking what are the collective thoughts here on Preventative Maintenance Routines that might extend the life of a Gen3 head gasket?

So far:
    Keep the complete EGR circuit clean.
    Keep engine coolant fresh.
    Maybe an oil catch can for the PCV system.
    A 'Piston Soak' if oil consumption goes up.

Are there other things that can be done?

14. HogMedia

HogMedia Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I was also getting a little wary once I looked at the carfax, or lack thereof after 2021. He told me over the phone he sells other cars in his freetime as well like porsches. Is that a bad sign as well?

Also, all the 2017s are going for as much as 25k. Not sure if it'll be worth it at that point.

One more thing, what is a washed title?

15. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Reliability is a big issue

Since this applies to the Op and other potential buyers reviewing this thread:

#1 With a bullet: 5k 6 Month or sooner oil changes like your wallet depends on it.

#2 Catch Can if you get an effective one and empty it religiously: Catch can over $200 with adequate size, sintered bronze filter, dipstick and accessible bottom drain. Requires removal of intake to install and can violate emission laws in a few states like Calif.

#3 50k Or sooner intake manifold maintenance: Removal, replacement (revisions were made) and subsequent cleanings.

These steps won't save the brake booster ($2,500) or improve the pistons and rings on the 2010- mid year 2014s which often leads to excessive oil consumption and increased carbon buildup throughout thanks to a poor egr and pcv design.

The inverter is liable to unexpectedly strand you, a real problem if away from home with family or late Sunday night when the local car rentals are closed. Be sure to have good towing coverage. Toyota is covering this for 15 years unlimited miles and a July 2022 class action settlement should extend this to 20 years with towing and rental car reimbursement.

Bonus PM Measure:
    For those who want to drive a used gen3 another 150,000 miles or ten years:

4: A preemptive engine rebuild around 100k or later before the head gasket fails and potential aluminum engine warping occurs. Also will reduce subsequent carbon build up and help prevent the catalytic converters from clogging.

Washed Title
    Transferring a car out of state to hide issues like mileage tampering (easy on these cars), flood damage, salvage status etc. No real sign of this on this car but the dings, blacked out wheels and dog pic make me wonder.
    https://www.dirtlegal.com/blog/title-washing-is-illegal-dangerous-and-more-common-than-car-theft

#15 rjparker, Aug 12, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2022
    Bill Norton likes this.
  16. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Yes if you want and have the 20K the 17 plug-in would be the way to go no issue there I just never expect ever to pay 20K for a car personally other people do pay five times that amount I just generally don't five to $7,000 is my limit usually because I don't really live in the car like that I'm trying to get out of the car not in it generally speaking I can't do my work in my car can't live in my car.

17. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    If they ever get the train situation straightened out in the US it would be great then I can put my 500cc touring scooter right on the train and go where I want and have my scoot to get me around where I'm at and not have to drive and enclosed car hardly at all

18. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I would imagine seriously you think this is funny but the car just kind of to your lifestyle so if you drive the car easy and barely use it it could last until the Oblivion of time practically because it's a garage queen it's always nice and cozy and it's air condition heated space doing well just like its owner driven only when it's needed to be driven. Fly everywhere else rental cars all that when you're home used the car sometimes. But generally a Prius needs to be driven right regularly if not things will just get weird especially with the electrics and the battery business but you can catch that just in time you know you'll be fine but catch it a little late and then try to drive at 3,000 mi or something and well may not go so well.